By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I have lost faith in the crediblity of reviewers

I lost faith in "gaming journalism" when I realized that most Wii games were being knocked down about a review point more than they should be by nearly every reviewer.

And that most of the reviews for those games consist of, "I wanted to like this game but WAGGLE KIDDY WAGGLE WAGGLE."

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Around the Network

Well, I wont flame you ... but everyone has different tastes. I bought Wii Music for my friend as a gag gift, and that exactly what it was. We played it, and it was fun for about 30 minutes. The re-playability and fun factor is very low, yet, I could imagine this being fun for kids. Even his wife (who is the epitome of casual) was baffled very concept of the game. If i was a reviewer, the score would be on the bad side of 5/10.

Before you go saying"OMG, you are a fanboy!," I have had some great times playing Boom Blox, Mario Kart Wii, and SSB, so its not that I am a hater. I don't understand the demographic this game is marketed towards, nor do I get the point. As a musician, the game is not a music simulator, nor is it a rhythm game ... there just doesn't seem to be a point.

Bethesda's Todd Howard "if install base really mattered, we'd all make board games, because there are a lot of tables."

Feel free to add me ...

PSN ID - jedson328
XBL Gamertag - jedson328

NightstrikerX said:
Beja-Beja said:
Reviews are just a guide they are not law. They are opinion nothing syas they are absolutely correct and mark the quality of the experience in the most precise way imaginable.

No need to lose faith in them just use them as a guide, for an ejoyable read, or information. They can not stop you from enjoying a game or stop it from selling.

In a perfect world, everyone would agree that reviews are indeed just a guide. However I know alot of people, myself included. Who bought into the hype of a review, of a game and bought it on that principle alone. One would assume that yes, we could have better judgement. I lost my faith in reviewers because they are little more than really, really loud fanboys. They are human, just like us and very much bound by the same rules we are. All because they are reviewers doesn't mean they can't be fanboys.

Thats the problem, readers are taking reviews to seriously. Its pretty juvenile to blame fanboyism on an altered review score. I agree reviewers can be fanboys but its also their job to view the subject critically. I mean gamers need to relax i dont see any other media taking reviews as seriously I mean a movie reviewer or book reviewer rarely gets lombasted when failing a loved film.

KylieDog said:
You are one step closer to ascension.

Ascension is overrated.  You become this all powerful being, and you can't do anything about it.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

Reviews suks and not even because of their bias towards the Wii. FFXII has 90+ on metacritics. That really doesn't make sense to me. Same for Mario Sunshine having 90+.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

Around the Network
Godot said:
Reviews suks and not even because of their bias towards the Wii. FFXII has 90+ on metacritics. That really doesn't make sense to me. Same for Mario Sunshine having 90+.

Bias towards the Wii? I hope you mean bias against.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Sigh.

Another "review scale is broken" bs thread.

Sigh.

Don't trust reviews after the stupid reviews of Mario Kart but I am beginning to have faith in them once more after the low scores for Wii Music.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

FishyJoe said:
The problem with the review system is that it caters to a very limited audience. The game magazines are like Fox News, they only publish stories that their audience will agree for the most part irregardless of the views of the general population.

*woot* *woot* Double negative alert! Double negative alert!

Anyways, I believe certain websites' (IGN, Games Radar, and 1up) opinions portend whether or not a game is of a high or low quality.

The reason so many reviewers has so much difficulty reviewing games is similar to the reason why so many developers have such difficulty producing games for anyone except for "Core" gamers ... The industry does a pretty piss-poor job of attracting people with a moderate interest in videogames to get involved with the development or reviewing of videogames so there is little or no understanding of what anyone except for "Core" gamers want in games.

I could be wrong but I suspect that the percentage of gamers who fall into the category of "Core" gamers peaked with the SNES/Genesis generation and since then there has been far more growth from unconventional gamer demographics (although the definition of "Core" would be a lot different in the early 1990s than it is today). Since then unconventional gamers have been the primary sorce of growth in the industry and the definition of what a "Core" gamer is has changed in order to retain their dominance in the industry.

The side effect of the Nintendo DS and Wii's popularity is that "Core" gaming would have to be drastically redefined in order to retain dominance because the "Kiddie/Casual/Unconventional" gamers now (drastically) outnumber "Core" gamers; one of the main reasons for this is there are a lot of "Core" gamers (like me) who also are "Kiddie/Casual/Unconventional" gamers, whereas there are a lot of people who would be classified as "Kiddie/Casual/Unconventional" gamers who do not play "Core" games. A lot of reviewers seem to be trying to justify their own preferences and games that would have received scores of 85% to 90% on the PS2/XBox/Gamecube are receiving 95%+ for the HD consoles, while games that would have received 75% to 80% on the PS2/XBox/Gamecube are receiving below 65% for the Wii.