By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggie talks about holiday, shortages and women

Not much info in this interview, I really wanted that the reporter asked for Disaster and Fatal Frame.

http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-fi-nintendo27-2008oct27,0,6221366.story

What measures has Nintendo taken to prevent a shortage of Wii consoles this holiday?

Nintendo has continually raised the production levels of the Wii hardware. We're now producing 2.4 million units a month worldwide. Last year, we made 1.6 million a month. So we've made a 33% increase. One of our competitors projects they will sell 10 million consoles worldwide this year. For us, that's three months of production. We're producing an unprecedented level of hardware to try to meet demand.

Oh dear........

Around the Network

"One of our competitors projects they will sell 10 million consoles worldwide this year. For us, that's three months of production."

lol ouch that hurts

What? Either, Reggie's gone nuts or he's misquoted. He says they produce 2.4M each month, and in 3 months that is 10M. Odd.

I'll post a short summary of the interesting things here.

- 50% of Wii players are women, 50% of DS players are women. 20% for the other consoles.

- Most of Nintendo's games have over 50 hours of play time.

- 70% of the dollar growth in the U.S is from Wii/DS (please tell me what this means, I don't get it).

- 3 out of 10 stores that are shipped Wii Fit are likely to have it. About 3M copies of Wii Fit sold by NoA. This fits with VGC, as 250K may be on their way to shelves / stored for christmas or other (remember, Nintendo gives shipped).

- Retailers want new shipments several years after initial release of game. This hasn't happened in the past generations before Wii/DS.

-  50% larger supply this holiday than usual. This means either 3.6M/month or slightly less, as usual isn't 2.4M.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

By the 10 million thing, I think he was referring to October-December in comparison to January-December for the others.

Nintendo be careful of that arrogance....thats what got SONY in that place & thats what got you to last place in the 2 gens before this.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

Ouch.

That was mean, lol.

Veggie said:
By the 10 million thing, I think he was referring to October-December in comparison to January-December for the others.

Makes sense. If usual supply is 2.1M/month, they have saved up 2.7M extra Wiis that they aren't selling. If a 50% increase, this means that they have 3.3M/month in the christmas quarter, meaning 10M overall. That means they use all the 2.7M they have saved up over the year. It fits perfectly.

First 9 months = 2.1M/month.

Last 3 months = 3.3M/month (slightly above 50% increase)

Average monthly = 2.4M.

I thnk you're right.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

"One of our competitors projects they will sell 10 million consoles worldwide this year. For us, that's three months of production."

Ouch, that is painful.

SSBB: 1977-0005-2980 (JOEY) MKWii: 4382-2877-5902 (Joeykanga)
Wii:4027-0084-9432-1532             PM me if you add me.
Tag courtesy of fkusumot: Joeykanga - "Just post something once, don't ruin the thread"
darthdevidem01 said:
Nintendo be careful of that arrogance....thats what got SONY in that place & thats what got you to last place in the 2 gens before this.

No, a $600 console with few good exclusive launch games was what put Sony in last place.

I don't foresee Nintendo doing that any time soon.

I think after the last 2 generations, Reggie deserves a bit of pride in his company. Hearing that once or twice is ok. Lets just hope it doesn't continue to beat his chest in the near-future.

Why must JRPG female leads suck so bad?