By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - is 360 the reason why FF 13/versus isnt coming out until 2010

Bottom line: no. Square-Enix has already said that they don't plan on even starting the 360 version until the time comes to internationalize the game: namely, after the Japanese release.

Why, then, has FFXIII been delayed again? I don't know. Maybe because good games take time?

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Around the Network

By the way, White was originally conceived neither as PS3-exclusive nor cross-platform. Development first began on the PS2.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.

@trestres indeed games like SO4 going multi-plat is extremely likely and from a business point of view makes no sense, look at how badly TOV and IU did. Versus has now been confirmed PS3 only so it will remain and this is because of Nomura so in SE there are also devs who favour certain systems aka fanboys. I am happy that at least Versus is PS3 only, I am under the thinking that exclusives are better than multi-plats because you cater to one system and one system only.

FFXIV on Wii HD or the next handheld iteration, make my words it is going to happen.

They said it themselves....

Finish Japanese PS3 version on PC and Optimize for PS3.
Release JPN version and Localize PS3 version for NA/EU.
Hold localized PS3 version back and port Localized PS3 version to 360.
Release PS3 and 360 versions in NA/EU simo.

The game will come later than it would have, but we will never know how big of a difference it makes.

4 ≈ One

DMeisterJ said:
No.

XIII isn't even being developed on the PS3, it's being developed by using Crystal Tools on PC. Granted, porting it to the 360 will obviously need to do some tweaking, as would be the case with any game, but it's not because of the 360.

And 360 isn't even getting Versus.

Spot on, mate. Spot on.

Consoles Owned: XBOX 360, Wii, DS and PSP.

Around the Network
Millennium said:
By the way, White was originally conceived neither as PS3-exclusive nor cross-platform. Development first began on the PS2.

I remember hearing that from other forum posts but I don't remember seeing it in a new story (didn't pay much attention to gaming news back then) but if it is true the the PS3 is the reason FFXIII isn't coming out until 2010 as it probably would already be finished if it had stayed a PS2 game.

"I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"

bbsin said:

BTW: I said nothing about GDC 08, the crystal tools annoucement was held at Austin GDC 2007, not 08.

No, Crystal Tools was first announced at GDC February 2008. At GDC September 2007 the engine was still refered to as White Engine, and it was described as a PS3/360/PC cross platform engine since 2006. Wii support was not announced until GDC February 2008.

I was responding to the following quote "and it stayed PS3 only until they renamed it to Crystal Tools and added 360, Windows PC and Wii compatibility". It is a common mistaken belief among FF13/Sony fanboys that the White Engine was a dedicated PS3 engine until the GDC 08 Crystal Tools announcement, that the 360 version is a "port" of the PS3 version, and that the porting process will considerably delay the PS3 version. Some also think this will lead to a "dumbed down" PS3 version. However the truth is that the White Engine had evolved (or was evolving) into a 360/PS3 cross platform engine already in 2006, likely before the PS3 had even launched, and probably before any FF13 specific code had ever been written.

It's possible that early builds of the White Engine was aimed at PS3 development only, and that "It took them about a year to restructure the dev tools to run on all platforms", but I don't really see anything in Tanaka's statement that suggests this. He talks about "the development of our own cross platform middleware". He says nothing about adding 360 compability to an existing engine.

Sri Lumpa said:
Millennium said:

I remember hearing that from other forum posts but I don't remember seeing it in a new story (didn't pay much attention to gaming news back then) but if it is true the the PS3 is the reason FFXIII isn't coming out until 2010 as it probably would already be finished if it had stayed a PS2 game.

Maybe, but maybe not. There's more to game development than just the engine. For example, one of the reasons FFXII was delayed for so long was that the Square-Enix executives ordered the team to change the game's main character.

Millennium said:
Sri Lumpa said:
Millennium said:

Maybe, but maybe not. There's more to game development than just the engine. For example, one of the reasons FFXII was delayed for so long was that the Square-Enix executives ordered the team to change the game's main character.

This only means that there are many possible reasons for delays, but the change of platform from PS2->PS3 would be a huge reason for delay due to the massive differences between both consoles.

At the end of the day it is not the 360 or the PS3 that delay the game but Square-Enix themselves as they are the ones making the decisions causing the delay.

"I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"

Kingdizzii said:
@trestres indeed games like SO4 going multi-plat is extremely likely and from a business point of view makes no sense, look at how badly TOV and IU did. Versus has now been confirmed PS3 only so it will remain and this is because of Nomura so in SE there are also devs who favour certain systems aka fanboys. I am happy that at least Versus is PS3 only, I am under the thinking that exclusives are better than multi-plats because you cater to one system and one system only.

FFXIV on Wii HD or the next handheld iteration, make my words it is going to happen.

its not only the "catering to one system only" but from a business perspective they should only sell games where they have a record of selling well, if you look back at xbox and ps2s console war, there are very few rpgs i ever saw on the xbox, and on the ps2 rpgs were a driving force in sales. So I'd think its a no brainer to make exclusive rpgs for the PS3.  I saw a bunch of people saying from a business perspective putting the ff games on the 360 is a smart move, and they indicated without any reprecussions.  If they have 50 million copies of a game on their hands, just for example. and they got 30 million copies in stores but they arent all selling as planned and theyre stuck with 20 million copies.  Does anyone see any possibility for extra money in that.   Releasing an rpg on the 360 is a double edged sword it's like a trip to vegas, you could walk away twice as rich or better, but you could be out on your ass without a penny in your pocket.

If it were any other genre of video games i would think completely differently, but I just think rpg and 360 are 2 things that aren't meant to co-exist solely because of its fan base generally turning their cheek to the genre

unless youre talking oblivion or another mmo style rpg maybe but classic style nope

the're casting a reel into a virtually empty portion of a large mass of water.