By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - is 360 the reason why FF 13/versus isnt coming out until 2010

Soriku said:
Making a Wii version of FF XIII would be drastically different and stupid. With the 360 it'd be the same as the PS3 version. They're better off making new FF XIII games for the Wii and DS.

Also, we still don't know how Nomura feels.

@ Bolded. i sense some envy.

Around the Network

Maybe there might be a high probability.

Munkeh111 said:
Yes, definitely

The launch would have very likely been a WW one this christmas. As it stands now, I am expecting a summer launch in Japan, and then spring in the US, and probably a few months later for Europe

Grr...that angers Spankey.

Yeah i know there are more languages to localise for in EU/others, but it's also the PS3's main market. Square should show some love and give them a port at the same time as US...or am i wrong

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

No

SE said so, FF usually takes a while to head Westwards

Kingdizzii said:
Nomura and Kitase joked about that if "the last guy" had a section where you had to save Wada they would not save him therefore shows they are not happy with what has happened. Secondly what you said was just so stupid it is hard not to be shocked that people such as you have such low level thinking? Do you honestly think money is all that motivates developers? Nomura wanted versus PS3 only and it is PS3 only, Kitase was not able to keep FFXIII PS3 only and hates Wada for that.

Poor people think money is everything that matters but fact of the matter is that SE would have made enough money with FFXIII being PS3 only but WADA wanted some MS cash. If you use your noggin you will realize that Nomura and Kitase wanted it to stay PS3 only but Wada was the one who wanted it on 360.

You do know that developers are fanboys as well right? There is a reason Ninja Gaiden 2 was not multi-platform. Business is to make money, to think console exclusives do not have perks is just stupid.

Well, they should be motivated by money, cause that's what pays their salaries. Nomura, Kitase and Wada have nothing to want, they have the obligation to make money for their shareholders (one of which ironically is Sony).

What exactly is enough money? FFXIII seems to be very expensive to me and the PS3 userbase isn't exactly amazing. You sound like someone that doesn't really understand the business aspect of a game developer. FF is extremely important for Square and they must sell a lot to maintain the value of their company, and of course the more expensive the game, the more they need to sell to gain the same profits as on previous games. The PS3 userbase alone is simply not enough to warrant such an expensive project.

And if Wada truely is the only one who wanted it on 360 I think he deserves a big bonus. The 2 million extra sales are worth around 20 million, so quite a good deal if you ask me.

Developers that are fanboys are stupid, it's one of the main reasons so many developers are making losses. Wada is a good businessman for ignoring those irrelevant emotions.

Around the Network

The Anarchyz said:

Crystal Tools was created first with the PS3 in mind, Nomura himself said that the White Engine was created in the switch from the PlayStation 2 to the PlayStation 3 for Final Fantasy XIII and Versus XIII, and it stayed PS3 only until they renamed it to Crystal Tools and added 360, Windows PC and Wii compatibility...

This is a stupid fanboy myth. The White Engine was designed right from the start for 360/PS3 cross-platform compability.

"Last year we went through a development reorganization, with the development of our own cross-platform middleware – the white engine. This is the foundation for FFXIII and the new MMO." -Hiromichi Tanaka, executive officer at Square Enix September 6, 2007.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=15400

Luney Tune said:

The Anarchyz said:

Crystal Tools was created first with the PS3 in mind, Nomura himself said that the White Engine was created in the switch from the PlayStation 2 to the PlayStation 3 for Final Fantasy XIII and Versus XIII, and it stayed PS3 only until they renamed it to Crystal Tools and added 360, Windows PC and Wii compatibility...

This is a stupid fanboy myth. The White Engine was designed right from the start for 360/PS3 cross-platform compability.

"Last year we went through a development reorganization, with the development of our own cross-platform middleware – the white engine. This is the foundation for FFXIII and the new MMO." -Hiromichi Tanaka, executive officer at Square Enix September 6, 2007.

fanboy myth? You sir, fail.

http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/02/finalfantasy.html

Although "White Engine" was originally announced in 2006 as a PlayStation 3 game creation platform, it has since become multiplatform, including Xbox 360 and PC capabilities.

http://www.aeropause.com/2008/02/squares-ps3-white-engine-renamed-crystal-tools-will-be-used-for-360-pc-wii/

Square-Enix’s much-hyped “White Engine,” which was developed as a platform around which Final Fantasy XIII would be built for PS3, is no longer a PS3 exclusive. This will be the 3D engine they’ll use for all their games now, company-wide, platform-independent. The 360 and PC are mentioned specifically, and to some extent, the 

http://www.psu.com/Square-Enixs-White-Engine-is-cross-platform--a0001252-p0.php

Square Enix had previously suggested that White Engine was built specifically for PS3. However, a new MMO is currently in development that also uses White Engine, and it will be a cross platform and cross region title. Undoubtedly the news of a cross platform engine will spark rumors of a cross platform Final Fantasy XIII. But at the moment, only the unannounced MMO will benefit from White Engine's multiplatform development.

I don't see how it's a myth when it also came straight out of Nomura's mouth. SquareEnix announced that the "white engine" would be multiplatform when they officially changed the name into "crystal tools". Why would that square exec have needed to break the news that crystal tools would be multiplatform @ GDC, if white engine was already cross platform to begin with? It would be pointless. 

Did you even read the link I posted ?

It's from September 6, 2007, long before GDC in 2008, and it clearly states that the White Engine is/was cross-platform right from the start.

Here's another link from 2007:

"Square Enix had previously suggested that White Engine was built specifically for PS3. However, a new MMO is currently in development that also uses White Engine, and it will be a cross platform and cross region title. Undoubtedly the news of a cross platform engine will spark rumors of a cross platform Final Fantasy XIII." -Playstation Universe (www.psu.com) Posted on September 9th, 2007 at 07:33 EDT

You just proved to yourself that you're wrong. Please read before and think before posting.

Luney Tune said:
Did you even read the link I posted ?

It's from September 6, 2007, long before GDC in 2008, and it clearly states that the White Engine is/was cross-platform right from the start.

Here's another link from 2007:

"Square Enix had previously suggested that White Engine was built specifically for PS3. However, a new MMO is currently in development that also uses White Engine, and it will be a cross platform and cross region title. Undoubtedly the news of a cross platform engine will spark rumors of a cross platform Final Fantasy XIII." -Playstation Universe (www.psu.com) Posted on September 9th, 2007 at 07:33 EDT

Luney Tune said:

The Anarchyz said:

"Last year we went through a development reorganization, with the development of our own cross-platform middleware – the white engine. This is the foundation for FFXIII and the new MMO." -Hiromichi Tanaka, executive officer at Square EnixSeptember 6, 2007.

The red bold is where you messed up and contradicted yourself. You also apparently didn't read any of my post, and actually used the SAME source i used to prove you wrong.

BTW: I said nothing about GDC 08, the crystal tools annoucement was held at Austin GDC 2007, not 08.

Which happens to be exactly when/where that interview took place, the one that you linked to. If you've been following FF13 and the Whitengine, you'd also know that deveopment started way before 2007. It took them about a year to restructure the dev tools to run on all platforms opposed to running specifically on the PS3.

"Last year we went through a development reorganization, with the development of our own cross-platform middleware – the white engine. This is the foundation for FFXIII and the new MMO." -Hiromichi Tanaka, executive officer at Square EnixSeptember 6, 2007."

Kingdizzii said:
The interview was with Nomura and Kitase so Kitase did all the talking after all his game is the one which has gone multi-plat. Had Versus gone to 360 because Wada wanted that, well would be very interesting to see what his reaction would have been. It's funny though how Versus has been mentioned since, as though Nomura made it clear where Versus was going to stay.

I agree that Wada only cares about profit and rightly so, business is to make money but it does not change that Kitase is not happy at all with the decision he made. I do believe that the game would have sold fine a PS3 only title, I could understand if the 360 was big in Japan but it just is not. Also if you want big sales you make games for the Wii and DS, from a business point of view the multi-platform jump is confusing to not include the Wii.

That's how it should be, but remember that some companies would rather close their doors before supporting the Wii. I don't think they'll ever support it unless they are on the verge of bankruptcy. I would hope for Nintendo to deny them the option of releasing their games on the Wii when they come crawling begging for it. But it won't happen, Nintendo will no doubt allow them. Still it will be fun to see how a company that believed they were the top of the top in Japan, will have to come back crawling to the company that made them what they are today (NES and SNES).
Still I believe they will keep on making only HD games until they realize how stupid that decision was and that with how the economy is today it would be doubtful to find someone who saves them from bankruptcy.
Interesting times ahead.

OT: Yes, 360 is the cause of the delay in the West. Hardcore gamers would want the game to be released simultaneously WW, so SE will have to make it happen at least in the West. The reason for them to have to make FFXIII multiplat is because they will never recoup the massive investments they made to make all those HD games. It wouldn't be strange to see Versus or Star Ocean 4 multiplat. Stubborn decisions will make them change their favoritism once and for all, and if not big financial troubles will force them.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies