By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Valkyria Chronicles Highest Rated next gen JRPG according to Metacritic

Dgc1808 said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Torillian said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Torillian said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

Well, what is a fact is that there are no official genres or classifications for them.

The generally accepted opinion(n00bs) agree with me. However, you are also entitled to yours.

That said, generally accepted opinion trumphs SDF PS3 VGC fanboy investigation thread, everytime.

and here's a kirby giving you the bird just for that comment guy

t('_'t)

lol, hey man. If it makes you feel any better, I didn't even click on it.

"click on it".....I don't get it

@MM: I got that from FFXI or WoW, on of those MMO's.  I can also make him dance.

<('_')>

<('_'<)

(>'_')>

<('_')>

lol, I think we have a misunderstanding. I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about this thread:

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=44225

Also, I retract my SDF comments, for makingmusic.

....and before you ask, I'm not talking about Naz, I'm talking about the ensuing discussion, and the motivations behind most peoples reasoning as to what qualified as a jrpg.

If it's Kirby then shouldn't a "Period" be used for his mougth like this <('.'<), the underscore makes him seem a bit more human... Unless this is a different kirby than the nintendo character your all talking about.

<('.'<)

Errr... just a thought....

you might be onto something there guy.  How's this grab ya?  Although I think I use the underscore because it goes better with the crying eyes.

t(;.;t) < t(;_;t)

Around the Network
Torillian said:
Dgc1808 said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Torillian said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Torillian said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

Well, what is a fact is that there are no official genres or classifications for them.

The generally accepted opinion(n00bs) agree with me. However, you are also entitled to yours.

That said, generally accepted opinion trumphs SDF PS3 VGC fanboy investigation thread, everytime.

and here's a kirby giving you the bird just for that comment guy

t('_'t)

lol, hey man. If it makes you feel any better, I didn't even click on it.

"click on it".....I don't get it

@MM: I got that from FFXI or WoW, on of those MMO's.  I can also make him dance.

<('_')>

<('_'<)

(>'_')>

<('_')>

lol, I think we have a misunderstanding. I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about this thread:

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=44225

Also, I retract my SDF comments, for makingmusic.

....and before you ask, I'm not talking about Naz, I'm talking about the ensuing discussion, and the motivations behind most peoples reasoning as to what qualified as a jrpg.

If it's Kirby then shouldn't a "Period" be used for his mougth like this <('.'<), the underscore makes him seem a bit more human... Unless this is a different kirby than the nintendo character your all talking about.

<('.'<)

Errr... just a thought....

you might be onto something there guy.  How's this grab ya?  Although I think I use the underscore because it goes better with the crying eyes.

t(;.;t) < t(;_;t)

Thread topic succesfully derailed.  :D

makingmusic476 said:

If you want to go that deep...

What if I recommended FFXII to guy a guy looking for "a good JRPG", and he came back a few days later all pissed off because it wasn't turn based?   :P

And since when was this thread about sales, anyway?  From what I can tell, it's just about the quality of the title.

Quality titles come from many genres. The subject of this thread is "Valkyria Chronicles is the highest rated jrpg this gen."

That is lying by omission(also called spin).

A. Because the game only has like 4 reviews.

B. Because it's also a strategy RPG, a genre that is undeniably much more niche and less popular than what most would consider a jrpg.

Also, again, jrpgs, and srpgs exist largely around the out of battle experience. If XIII is an arpg, instead of a jrpg, then is it the same genre as fable?

The supreme court has really smart people on it. On more than one occasion, arguments like this have come up. When people begin to argue opinionated technicalities, the generally accepted rule is this:

"I'll know it when I see it."

Any gamer worth his salt knows a jrpg when he sees it, and he knows a srpg when he sees it as well. You knew VC was a srpg when you saw it. You knew ES was a jrpg with a real time battle system.

What we need to do is question why all these very experienced gamers are trying to get us to classify a srpg as a jrpg. This is their "motive." I dare not speculate further.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
I always thought JRPG just meant RPG's made in Japan...
I mean, if SE made Fable, it'd be classified as a JRPG, right?

Off Topic: <('-')> <('.')> (>'o'<) (> ' O ' <)...

...BOOM!! >:D

I'm pretty sure they are called Japanese RPGs because they started making them in Japan. If the same game were made in America, it would still be a jrpg.

French Fries aren't all made in France.

You're talking about the derivation of the phrase, not the object it describes.

>_>?  What?  The first RPG's were made in (USA/UK not sure witch country) like Ultima.

And French fries are stolen!

I'm gunna classify this game as a shooter.

Around the Network
konnichiwa said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:

I'm pretty sure they are called Japanese RPGs because they started making them in Japan. If the same game were made in America, it would still be a jrpg.

>_>?  What?  The first RPG's were made in (USA/UK not sure witch country) like Ultima.

That's why I said the fist Japanese rpgs were made in Japan.

The first rpgs ever, might have been made in indo-china for all I care. It's irrelivant.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Here's what IGN has to say about the game.

Published by: SEGA
Developed by: SEGA
Release Date: November 4, 2008
Genre: Action RPG
http://ps3.ign.com/objects/950/950634.html

ZenfoldorVGI said:
konnichiwa said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:

That's why I said the fist Japanese rpgs were made in Japan.

The first rpgs ever, might have been made in indo-china for all I care. It's irrelivant.

Rofl.....XD....OMG this is gold.

well IGN is high on Paint thinners, there's no way it's an action RPG, but then again if the whole idea was what the "common man" would call the game's genre then maybe IGN's classification has some bearing in the argument.

Blood_Tears said:
Here's what IGN has to say about the game.

Published by: SEGA
Developed by: SEGA
Release Date: November 4, 2008
Genre: Action RPG
http://ps3.ign.com/objects/950/950634.html

IGN genre classifications are very broad ranging. DMC and Mirror's Edge are both "action" games. They don't even have a genre labled jrpgs. Either way, since there are no official genres, so it's all opinion. The only way to prove your case is with careful thought and deduction, which should be done before you make up your mind anyway.

NO NO, NO NO NO.