By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Valkyria Chronicles Highest Rated next gen JRPG according to Metacritic

Torillian said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Torillian said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

Well, what is a fact is that there are no official genres or classifications for them.

The generally accepted opinion(n00bs) agree with me. However, you are also entitled to yours.

That said, generally accepted opinion trumphs SDF PS3 VGC fanboy investigation thread, everytime.

and here's a kirby giving you the bird just for that comment guy

t('_'t)

lol, hey man. If it makes you feel any better, I didn't even click on it.

"click on it".....I don't get it

@MM: I got that from FFXI or WoW, on of those MMO's.  I can also make him dance.

<('_')>

<('_'<)

(>'_')>

<('_')>

lol, I think we have a misunderstanding. I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about this thread:

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=44225

Also, I retract my SDF comments, for makingmusic.

....and before you ask, I'm not talking about Naz, I'm talking about the ensuing discussion, and the motivations behind most peoples reasoning as to what qualified as a jrpg.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network

i see it alot on ffxi, i myself use it on ffxi. most likely orignated or gain popularity on ffxi or a similar mmo type game.

well in the version I use the most often Kirby is crying while flipping people off

t(;_;t)

but since I was in the middle of an argument I decided not to show my tears.

edit: oooohhhh, it's about the thread.  Alright then nvm, I take back the kirby.  I didn't make the connection to the thread, and since I haven't read it I have no issue with your insulting it.  Someone who's actually read that thing will have to take you up on that one :P

Japanese RPGs are RPGs made in Japan, and Western RPGs are RPGs that were made in the west (or sometimes Europe, but it's the same style). To my knowledge, both of these strategy RPGs were made by Japanese companies, so they are in turn Japanese RPGs as well. Unless I'm missing some sort of nonsense here.

well I'm done arguin, I think Zen and I have hashed this out as much as two men can without going at each other's throats like two nerds arguing over if manga or anime version of some series is better. And I prefer to stay not quite that nerdy. Rest of y'all have fun though ^^

Around the Network
MontanaHatchet said:
Japanese RPGs are RPGs made in Japan, and Western RPGs are RPGs that were made in the west (or sometimes Europe, but it's the same style). To my knowledge, both of these strategy RPGs were made by Japanese companies, so they are in turn Japanese RPGs as well. Unless I'm missing some sort of nonsense here.

That's a oversimplified view on the subject. I'm pretty sure that the traditional definition of a jrpg has nothing to do with where it was geographically developed, but instead with a number of common features found within games of the genre.

I think your discussing the derivations of the phrase "japanese role playing game" rather than the object said phrase describes.

By your definition, if we took a large group of Japanese people, and put them in a boat, 6 miles off the Japanese coast, it would cease to be a jrpg, and instead be an...oceanic rpg.

RTS games, would cease to be a genre.

Deeper thought is required. Specifically on generally accepted opinions of what classifies a game as a JRPG or SRPG, and if the SRPG genre even exists, and by implication, the RTS, or ARPG, and what genres really are. I've stated my very astute opinions, if I do say so myself, earlier in this very thread.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

MontanaHatchet said:

The thing missed is that basically SRPGS are like really unpopular so really somewhat worthless in an arguement of "JRPG love" and what console has the best JRPS.

Since even a majority of JRPG fans tend to shun them.

Kasz216 said:
MontanaHatchet said:

The thing missed is that basically SRPGS are like really unpopular so really somewhat worthless in an arguement of "JRPG love" and what console has the best JRPS.

Since even a majority of JRPG fans tend to shun them.

I know you've probably already read them, but Kas, check out the torillian/zen argument earlier in the thread. Good stuff.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Impulsivity said:
Yah this game looks awesome. I can't wait for it to come out, with this and Disgaea 3 it seems like the Playstation 3 might finally be turning the corner to regain the best RPG platform title the PS2 had so securely. It more or less will come down to whether White Knight Chronicles lives up to the hype, if it does the days of "OMG the PS3 isn't there for JRPG lovers!" argument will be dead forever.

Is White Knight Chronicles an SRPG? If it is, PS3 may still contain that stigma. If it isn't, Eternal SOnata and WNK should be enough to tide PS3 fans over to FF13 and the inevtiable star ocean 4 port and the possible ToV port.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Torillian said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Torillian said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

Well, what is a fact is that there are no official genres or classifications for them.

The generally accepted opinion(n00bs) agree with me. However, you are also entitled to yours.

That said, generally accepted opinion trumphs SDF PS3 VGC fanboy investigation thread, everytime.

and here's a kirby giving you the bird just for that comment guy

t('_'t)

lol, hey man. If it makes you feel any better, I didn't even click on it.

"click on it".....I don't get it

@MM: I got that from FFXI or WoW, on of those MMO's.  I can also make him dance.

<('_')>

<('_'<)

(>'_')>

<('_')>

lol, I think we have a misunderstanding. I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about this thread:

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=44225

Also, I retract my SDF comments, for makingmusic.

....and before you ask, I'm not talking about Naz, I'm talking about the ensuing discussion, and the motivations behind most peoples reasoning as to what qualified as a jrpg.

Ah, sorry for the misundertsanding.

What's wrong with that thread?  The first page is people trying to get MH3 on the list...