By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Valkyria Chronicles Highest Rated next gen JRPG according to Metacritic

well its still an rpg and if you just say that then its in the top 5? just a guess didnt actually check or anything

Around the Network
Torillian said:

So if you admit this then how are sRPGs and jRPGs mutually exclusive.  And on the note of roundabout ways, I could suggest that classifying sRPGs as not counting as jRPG's is just a roundabout way of bringing down the PS3's library and discounting these titles as not counting towards jRPG lists.

Because calling them jrpgs would be using a technicality to boulster the PS3's library. Check my previous post. Yes, they might technically classify as "jrpgs" in theory, but that is called "lying by omission."

It's fine, in a fanboy argument, for PS3 fans to lie by omission to boulster their arguments.

However, would you lie by omission to a customer at a store, who asks you about the PS3's jrpg count?

If you would you'd be scum, because it's wrong, and you'd be scamming/cheating a person out of their money with lies, by omission. Worse than pirating. It's still wrong here, and unfair, not only to the competitors of your console, but to other posters on this forum who might read and believe your lie by omission.

If you want to label a jrpg lineup with games that are also srpgs, then you should be forced to note that every time you mention it. Then, it wouldn't be a lie by omission.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

no I agree that if you told someone that they would play them and wonder why you didn't call them sRPG's as that's more correct. But I also think that the distinction is used on these forums just so that 360 fanboys can discount the titles which is bullshit. I would recommend any of those titles to people that like jRPGS, and therefore I would count them when thinking about a title's jRPG standing, just like I would count Kingdom Hearts even though it's an action RPG.

markers said:
well its still an rpg and if you just say that then its in the top 5? just a guess didnt actually check or anything

Yeah, it's a badass game, no doubt about that. I actually prefer srpgs, in some cases, and either Disgaea 1 or Radiant Dawn are my favorite games of that subgenre.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Torillian said:
no I agree that if you told someone that they would play them and wonder why you didn't call them sRPG's as that's more correct. But I also think that the distinction is used on these forums just so that 360 fanboys can discount the titles which is bullshit. I would recommend any of those titles to people that like jRPGS, and therefore I would count them when thinking about a title's jRPG standing, just like I would count Kingdom Hearts even though it's an action RPG.

Ah, but you see my point. To tell a stranger, n00b, customer that the PS3 has 2 badass jrpgs on it, is spin...with the goal of trying to get them to buy a PS3 I would assume.

If it's spin to a stranger, it's spin to anyone. It's spin. We've agreed on this. Spin is another word for bullshit.

As for the last part....jrpgs aren't correctly classified by their battle systems. In fact, I'd wager that battling in a jrpg only takes up about 50 percent of the game, or less. Again, go back to what you would tell a n00b. If you told him he had two badass arpgs on his console, he might be expecting Fable. If he's expecting two jrpgs on his console, he knows what he's expecting. It's not Fable, and it's not Disgaea.

Also, by your classification, Fable 2 and Tales of Vesperia are the same genre of game. To a n00b, and myself, they aren't. Vesperia is a jrpg. Again, I go back to "I know it when I see it."

Step back from the argument a minute and look at it objectively. If you saw Vesperia, Disgaea, and Fable 2 played side by side, for an hour(which includes a lot more to their gameplay than the battle system), how would you classify them?

I would say Vesperia is a jrpg, disgaea is a srpg, and fable 2 is an arpg. I know everyone has opinions....but this time the correct answer is very obvious. Is it really the 360 fanboys putting the spin on this? Is everyone who disagrees with you a 360 fanboy? No. Everyone who does agree with you is very pro Sony, however...but I ramble.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
FOR THE LAST TIME!

Valkyria Chronicles isn't a JRPG

its an SRPG.....n SRPG fans actually have many games on PS3 for them including this n disgaee 3..

Well 2.

Still.  There should be another Nippon Ichi game... and i heard rumors of a Super Robot wars game... that better happen.

Errrr.... it's an RPG from Japan....

It's a Japanese Strategy Role Playing Game....

So technically it is indeed a JRPG..... a jSRPG anyway...

4 ≈ One

yes yes.....discount my argument by the company I keep. I am arguing however that there are two ways to classify RPG, by its Battle system, and by its origin/ storytelling method. Therefore as an answer to your question, I would see an sRPG, and 2 aRPGs, and I would also see one western RPG, and two jRPGs. Yes average noob counts them as different genres, but my argument is that they are not, and since we assume that most people on these forums are not noobs (regardless to the truth of that) then I would argue that for a discussion of jRPGs on any console that Disgaea, and VC should be counted just as much as ToV and ES. Now on the other hand if the argument is "if talking to some noob at Gamestop which console has the most jRPG's" then your argument is fine by me.

Torillian said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Blood_Tears said:
darthdevidem01 said:
FOR THE LAST TIME!

Valkyria Chronicles isn't a JRPG

its an SRPG.....n SRPG fans actually have many games on PS3 for them including this n disgaee 3..

While i agree this topic has been discussed before, according to the site mod naznatips , along with alot of members of this site a srpg like Valkyria Chronicles is still classified as a jrpg. Thread discussed in :

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=44225

No it's not. Classifying VC as a jrpg is just a round-about way of touting the PS3's library. I don't care what you, Nazna, or anyone says. It's generally accepted, by everyone, and also very obvious, that Disgaea and jrpg games are in different genres.

To say that srpgs are jrpgs is implying that srpgs don't exist. There is no need for discussion beyond that point.

Also, as far as classifying jrpgs....you'll know it when you see it.

No matter how many people you get to disagree with me, you'd still be wrong.

The only possible explaination is that "srpgs" are a subgenre of jrpgs, which they are. A square is also a rectangle.....but a rectange is not a square. It's a different genre, sub or not.

So if you admit this then how are sRPGs and jRPGs mutually exclusive.  And on the note of roundabout ways, I could suggest that classifying sRPGs as not counting as jRPG's is just a roundabout way of bringing down the PS3's library and discounting these titles as not counting towards jRPG lists.

I wouldn't say mutually exclusive.  I would say that so few people care about SRPGS that a whole bucket of awesome ones don't measure up to one mediocre "regular" JRPG in terms of which console has the best JRPGs.

This is coming from someone who likes SRPGS about 5 times more then any other genre at least.

Basically SRPGS would be the equivlent of those bullets hitting the back of the tank... compared to a rocket from a lancer.

Torillian said:
yes yes.....discount my argument by the company I keep. I am arguing however that there are two ways to classify RPG, by its Battle system, and by its origin/ storytelling method. Therefore as an answer to your question, I would see an sRPG, and 2 aRPGs, and I would also see one western RPG, and two jRPGs. Yes average noob counts them as different genres, but my argument is that they are not, and since we assume that most people on these forums are not noobs (regardless to the truth of that) then I would argue that for a discussion of jRPGs, on any console that Disgaea, and VC should be counted just as much as ToV and ES. Now on the other hand if the argument is "if talking to some noob at Gamestop which console has the most jRPG's" then your argument is fine by me.

Well, what is a fact is that there are no official genres or classifications for them.

The generally accepted opinion(n00bs) agree with me. However, you are also entitled to yours.

That said, generally accepted opinion trumphs PS3 VGC investigation thread, everytime.

NO NO, NO NO NO.