By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Valkyria Chronicles Highest Rated next gen JRPG according to Metacritic

Isn't it a bit early to be making a thread like this?

And I would classify this game as a JRPG. I consider SRPGs to be a sub-genre of JRPGs. JRPGs all have a similar style, but can vary greatly in gameplay, from FFX, to FFXII, to Disgaea, to the mix of TBS/RTS (think Total War), TPS, RPG, etc. that Valkyria Chronicles is.

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Torillian said:
yes yes.....discount my argument by the company I keep. I am arguing however that there are two ways to classify RPG, by its Battle system, and by its origin/ storytelling method. Therefore as an answer to your question, I would see an sRPG, and 2 aRPGs, and I would also see one western RPG, and two jRPGs. Yes average noob counts them as different genres, but my argument is that they are not, and since we assume that most people on these forums are not noobs (regardless to the truth of that) then I would argue that for a discussion of jRPGs, on any console that Disgaea, and VC should be counted just as much as ToV and ES. Now on the other hand if the argument is "if talking to some noob at Gamestop which console has the most jRPG's" then your argument is fine by me.

Well, what is a fact is that there are no official genres or classifications for them.

The generally accepted opinion(n00bs) agree with me. However, you are also entitled to yours.

That said, generally accepted opinion trumphs SDF PS3 VGC fanboy investigation thread, everytime.

and here's a kirby giving you the bird just for that comment guy

t('_'t)

Torillian said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Torillian said:
yes yes.....discount my argument by the company I keep. I am arguing however that there are two ways to classify RPG, by its Battle system, and by its origin/ storytelling method. Therefore as an answer to your question, I would see an sRPG, and 2 aRPGs, and I would also see one western RPG, and two jRPGs. Yes average noob counts them as different genres, but my argument is that they are not, and since we assume that most people on these forums are not noobs (regardless to the truth of that) then I would argue that for a discussion of jRPGs, on any console that Disgaea, and VC should be counted just as much as ToV and ES. Now on the other hand if the argument is "if talking to some noob at Gamestop which console has the most jRPG's" then your argument is fine by me.

Well, what is a fact is that there are no official genres or classifications for them.

The generally accepted opinion(n00bs) agree with me. However, you are also entitled to yours.

That said, generally accepted opinion trumphs SDF PS3 VGC fanboy investigation thread, everytime.

t('_'t)

lol, hey man. If it makes you feel any better, I didn't even click on it.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Torillian said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Torillian said:

t('_'t)

:O  Where'd you get that from.  I came up with the "kirby saiz F U" thing last year, and have never seen anybody use it but me.

Yes, however you want to classify it. It's great. Sega has been giving their best love exclusively to the PS3 recently. Valkyria, Kenshan!, Yakuza 3. As Play Magazine said in an early preview of the game this year: "Valkyria Chronicles is proof that the heart of the Dreamcast era still beats in Sega's Japanese Headquarters." I hope it sells really well (and if you're a Sony fan and haven't done so please go out and pick up Yakuza 2 asap), because I'm hoping that if enough copies of Valkyria ( and Yakuza 2) are sold here in the US that Sega will translate and give us Kenshan! because Play magazine gave Kenshan! a 10 and said that along with MGS4 it was a 10 and one of the two best mature Japanese games that have been released on any console so far in this generation.

My most anticipated games:  Whatever Hideo Kojima is going to do next, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Gran Turismo 5, Alan Wake, Wii Sports Resort.  Cave Story Wiiware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqqLMgbtrB8

Around the Network

And Zen, the SDF comments are going too far. Tone it down. 

There's no need at all to equate an opion you merely don't agree with as something fanboyish.

Soriku said:
Kasz216 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
FOR THE LAST TIME!

Valkyria Chronicles isn't a JRPG

its an SRPG.....n SRPG fans actually have many games on PS3 for them including this n disgaee 3..

Well 2.

Still.  There should be another Nippon Ichi game... and i heard rumors of a Super Robot wars game... that better happen.

The PS3 SRW game is true...but we haven't heard about it at all since it was announced in Famitsu months ago. Speaking of SRW, the DS one may come to the West. "Endless Frontier" was trademarked for NA and that's the same subtitle as the DS SRW. I hope it's true because it'd be my first one.

Now OT: VC is a Japanese SRPG. It's still an RPG and it's still Japanese...who cares? SRPGs are a branch of RPGs so should still be classified as that. There's different branches like turn based and action RPGs but they aren't any more RPG than the strategy ones.

I'd say...well deserved. It's absolutely the best PS3 game coming out in the past 2 years (IMO).

Agreed, that's my whole point. No spin, no bullshit. Not trying to get anyone to buy a PS3. Previous points of "you know it when you see it"   "And everyone has their opinion" are true....cause that's my opinion and that's how i see it..

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Torillian said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

t('_'t)

"click on it".....I don't get it

@MM: I got that from FFXI or WoW, on of those MMO's.  I can also make him dance.

<('_')>

<('_'<)

(>'_')>

<('_')>

And if all four (Yakuza 2, Valkyria Chronicles, Kenshan!, and Yakuza 3) all come to America and do well, then I'm hoping that Sega and Yu Suzuki will feel inspired enough to continue and give us the games we really want: Shenmue 3 and 4 (preferably exclusively on the PS3 and utilizing all of the advantages that system brings to cinematic action adventure games).

My most anticipated games:  Whatever Hideo Kojima is going to do next, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Gran Turismo 5, Alan Wake, Wii Sports Resort.  Cave Story Wiiware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqqLMgbtrB8

Torillian said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Torillian said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

t('_'t)

"click on it".....I don't get it

@MM: I got that from FFXI or WoW, on of those MMO's.  I can also make him dance.

<('_')>

<('_'<)

(>'_')>

<('_')>

I've seen the dance one many times, and that's how I created the "FU" one, lol.

<(''<) ^( ' ' )^ (>'')>

Dance, kirby, dance!