By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Valkyria Chronicles Highest Rated next gen JRPG according to Metacritic

Ugh I am with Makingmusic on this one (Finally read almost whole the thread).

RPG's made in Japan are JRPG's, and SRPG is a subgroup of it.

It is like Japanese cartoons that we call Anime and that also haves subgroups Shounen, Seinen, Ecchi, Shoujo, Hentai.

And music from  Japan do we call J-music and have also a lot of subgroups  J-rock, J-pop, J-rap etc.

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:
makingmusic476 said:

If you want to go that deep...

What if I recommended FFXII to guy a guy looking for "a good JRPG", and he came back a few days later all pissed off because it wasn't turn based?   :P

And since when was this thread about sales, anyway?  From what I can tell, it's just about the quality of the title.

Quality titles come from many genres. The subject of this thread is "Valkyria Chronicles is the highest rated jrpg this gen."

That is lying by omission(also called spin).

A. Because the game only has like 4 reviews.

B. Because it's also a strategy RPG, a genre that is undeniably much more niche and less popular than what most would consider a jrpg.

Also, again, jrpgs, and srpgs exist largely around the out of battle experience. If XIII is an arpg, instead of a jrpg, then is it the same genre as fable?

The supreme court has really smart people on it. On more than one occasion, arguments like this have come up. When people begin to argue opinionated technicalities, the generally accepted rule is this:

"I'll know it when I see it."

Any gamer worth his salt knows a jrpg when he sees it, and he knows a srpg when he sees it as well. You knew VC was a srpg when you saw it. You knew ES was a jrpg with a real time battle system.

What we need to do is question why all these very experienced gamers are trying to get us to classify a srpg as a jrpg. This is their "motive." I dare not speculate further.

You keep saying knowing when you see it....have you played it?

Whenever I play the simple demo it plays unlike any JRPG or SRPG i have ever played. If I had put it under any genre at all I would have to put it under JRPG. However it feels more like a class of its own. A Japanese Action RPG with Strategic elements???

CURRENTLY PLAYING:  Warframe, Witcher 2

soulsamurai said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
makingmusic476 said:

If you want to go that deep...

What if I recommended FFXII to guy a guy looking for "a good JRPG", and he came back a few days later all pissed off because it wasn't turn based?   :P

And since when was this thread about sales, anyway?  From what I can tell, it's just about the quality of the title.

Quality titles come from many genres. The subject of this thread is "Valkyria Chronicles is the highest rated jrpg this gen."

That is lying by omission(also called spin).

A. Because the game only has like 4 reviews.

B. Because it's also a strategy RPG, a genre that is undeniably much more niche and less popular than what most would consider a jrpg.

Also, again, jrpgs, and srpgs exist largely around the out of battle experience. If XIII is an arpg, instead of a jrpg, then is it the same genre as fable?

The supreme court has really smart people on it. On more than one occasion, arguments like this have come up. When people begin to argue opinionated technicalities, the generally accepted rule is this:

"I'll know it when I see it."

Any gamer worth his salt knows a jrpg when he sees it, and he knows a srpg when he sees it as well. You knew VC was a srpg when you saw it. You knew ES was a jrpg with a real time battle system.

What we need to do is question why all these very experienced gamers are trying to get us to classify a srpg as a jrpg. This is their "motive." I dare not speculate further.

You keep saying knowing when you see it....have you played it?

Whenever I play the simple demo it plays unlike any JRPG or SRPG i have ever played. If I had put it under any genre at all I would have to put it under JRPG. However it feels more like a class of its own. A Japanese Action RPG with Strategic elements???

Actually it plays almost exactly like a SRPG developed by a Western Developer.

http://xbox.ign.com/objects/641/641474.html

It had a story just like your usual JRPG.  Streotypes... only one path.  Completly straight foward.

The only difference is Valkria is a lot better... and that Valkria was made in japan.  Which if country of origin is enough to change your entire genre... i gotta question your want of ranking games by genre.

Dgc1808 said:
Errrr.... it's an RPG from Japan....

It's a Japanese Strategy Role Playing Game....

So technically it is indeed a JRPG..... a jSRPG anyway...

This, +1 OMG Jug O' Win!

RPG Goty?

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:
RPG Goty?

Nop;.

@Konnichiwa

Y'know that pic took a bit to load, so I was trying to guess on which game you were talking about. I never would have guessed how awesome and absolutely correct your addition to the thread would be. Persona 4 ftw.