By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Valkyria Chronicles Highest Rated next gen JRPG according to Metacritic

Rather then create a new thread about the same game, just came across some info that i am not sure was posted here yet. Apparently VC will have an OPTIONAL 4GB install (not sure how credible this source is) but i hope it's true, all installs should be made optional for the user. Source:

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2008/10/25/valkyria-chronicles-playtest

Around the Network

Since nobody paid any attention to me the first time...

I would classify this game as a JRPG. I consider SRPGs to be a sub-genre of JRPGs. JRPGs all have a similar style, but can vary greatly in gameplay, from FFX, to FFXII, to Disgaea, to the mix of TBS/RTS (think Total War), TPS, RPG, etc. that Valkyria Chronicles is.

Blood_Tears said:
Rather then create a new thread about the same game, just came across some info that i am not sure was posted here yet. Apparently VC will have an OPTIONAL 4GB install (not sure how credible this source is) but i hope it's true, all installs should be made optional for the user. Source:

The install is optional.  A guy on neogaf has a review copy of the game, and he says he didn't do the install and the loading times are fine.

makingmusic476 said:
Blood_Tears said:

The install is optional.  A guy on neogaf has a review copy of the game, and he says he didn't do the install and the loading times are fine.

Awesome then, great to hear. Hopefully more Devs follow this direction in the future...

makingmusic476 said:

I would classify this game as a JRPG. I consider SRPGs to be a sub-genre of JRPGs. JRPGs all have a similar style, but can vary greatly in gameplay, from FFX, to FFXII, to Disgaea, to the mix of TBS/RTS (think Total War), TPS, RPG, etc. that Valkyria Chronicles is.

I'll respond.

While it's fine to label it as a jrpg bullet point here on the forums, to try to use these games as a selling point would be spin. You couldn't tell your average gamer to go buy the PS3 because it has two badass jrpgs on it without telling them something a little more about it(unless you worked at gamestop, or were a robber).

So, while it might help the PS3 in arguments here, they help practicality of the public PS3 jrpg argument very little, unless marketing resorts to lying to customers, by omission of the word strategy. Because telling your customers that you have two badass jrpgs on your console, when they are actually sjrpgs, is lying by omission, and also spin. You couldn't blame a customer for being angry about that. It's like when you order something off TV for 12 dollars and they also sign you up for a years worth of US weekly.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Torillian said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Torillian said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

Well, what is a fact is that there are no official genres or classifications for them.

The generally accepted opinion(n00bs) agree with me. However, you are also entitled to yours.

That said, generally accepted opinion trumphs SDF PS3 VGC fanboy investigation thread, everytime.

and here's a kirby giving you the bird just for that comment guy

t('_'t)

lol, hey man. If it makes you feel any better, I didn't even click on it.

"click on it".....I don't get it

@MM: I got that from FFXI or WoW, on of those MMO's.  I can also make him dance.

<('_')>

<('_'<)

(>'_')>

<('_')>

lol, I think we have a misunderstanding. I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about this thread:

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=44225

Also, I retract my SDF comments, for makingmusic.

....and before you ask, I'm not talking about Naz, I'm talking about the ensuing discussion, and the motivations behind most peoples reasoning as to what qualified as a jrpg.

If it's Kirby then shouldn't a "Period" be used for his mougth like this <('.'<), the underscore makes him seem a bit more human... Unless this is a different kirby than the nintendo character your all talking about.

<('.'<)

Errr... just a thought....

4 ≈ One

I always thought JRPG just meant RPG's made in Japan...
I mean, if SE made Fable, it'd be classified as a JRPG, right?

Off Topic: <( '-' )>  <( '.' )>  (> 'o' <)  (>  ' O '  <)...

...BOOM!! >:D

Wtf....VC not an JRPG...What a lame excuse rofl..

CRPG= JRPG + WRPG

JRPG = (j)SRPG + (j)TRPG, etc;..

Lulz.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
makingmusic476 said:

I'll respond.

While it's fine to label it as a jrpg bullet point here on the forums, to try to use these games as a selling point would be spin. You couldn't tell your average gamer to go buy the PS3 because it has two badass jrpgs on it without telling them something a little more about it(unless you worked at gamestop, or were a robber).

So, while it might help the PS3 in arguments here, they help practicality of the public PS3 jrpg argument very little, unless marketing resorts to lying to customers, by omission of the word strategy. Because telling your customers that you have two badass jrpgs on your console, when they are actually sjrpgs, is lying by omission, and also spin. You couldn't blame a customer for something like that. It's like when you order something off TV for 12 dollars and they also sign you up for a years worth of US weekly.

If you want to go that deep...

What if I recommended FFXII to guy a guy looking for "a good JRPG", and he came back a few days later all pissed off because it wasn't turn based?   :P

And since when was this thread about sales, anyway?  From what I can tell, it's just about the quality of the title.

--OkeyDokey-- said:
I always thought JRPG just meant RPG's made in Japan...
I mean, if SE made Fable, it'd be classified as a JRPG, right?

Off Topic: <('-')> <('.')> (>'o'<) (> ' O ' <)...

...BOOM!! >:D

I'm pretty sure they are called Japanese RPGs because they started making them in Japan. If the same game were made in America, it would still be a jrpg.

French Fries aren't all made in France.

You're talking about the derivation of the phrase, not the object it describes.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.