By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - OK you PC guys, I just don't get why mouse/keyboard FPS is such a big deal.

Admittedly, I don't game much on my PC.  I only play the occasional Medal of Honor and the original Half-Life.  I was just playing some Half-Life right before I typed this and after my zillionth time falling off of a narrow cliff ledge, I thought I'd bring this up.  I understand why you love the accuracy of aiming with the mouse, but what I don't understand is how you tolerate using the keyboard for movement.  You are limited to a digital (not analog) input.  I like the precise movement that an analog stick gives me.  Using the keyboard feels like I might as well be using a D-pad.  It seems like you PC guys taking 2 steps forward and 2 steps back.  Increased firing accuracy at the expense of decreased movement accuracy.  What are some tips/tricks/pointers to get around this problem?

Keep this in mind when reading what I type...

I've been gaming longer than many of you have been alive.

Around the Network

There's supposed to be a walk button or something, but that's going to affect all movement, and you still need to use a pinky finer or somethign to hold it down. I've been complaining about this ever since the N64, but for some reason they still defend the crap out of it because of the "customizable controls" and "more options" that the keyboard allows.

And if anyone says "halflife has an option to let you use a gamepad" I'll smack them. I've tried this for the halflife games and for portal and it does jack crap.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Just buy a controller for PC.

In my opinion the accuracy beats movement every time. Every game I played on my ps2 and 3 that involved shooting pissed the hell out of me. The best would be to make a mod that permited using the j-pad along with the mouse. Joysticks for pc are easy to find, I´ve got two. But that´s just wishful thinking. I´ll stick to pc for FPS. Fallout3, Farcry2, Bioshock, CoD4 and 5, Gears of war(the first) all in the pc.

VASCO DA GAMA CAMPEÃO DA COPA DO BRASIL!!!

CONGRATULATIONS VASCÃO

VICE É O CARALH*

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future......NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

The whole movement issue is why I prefer my FPS's on a console rather than a PC.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Around the Network
concity06 said:
Just buy a controller for PC.

It's not that simple.  While my copy of Halo for the PC allows me to use a controller for everything, Medal of Honor Allied Assault and the Original Half-Life don't.

LOL GET WII

NUNCHUCK = ANALOG MOVEMENT

WIIMOTE = ACCURATE AIMING

U SHOULD GET CONDUIT

i'm sorry

Here's a video from my band's last show Check out more (bigger) videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/icemanout

you have issues using a keyboard for movement... dear god, I would hate to see you in a competitive match in Unreal Tournament where keyboard movements have to be insanely accurate.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Goddbless said:
The whole movement issue is why I prefer my FPS's on a console rather than a PC.

I agree 100%.  A buddy of mine wanted to sell me one of his video cards and get me to upgrade my PC to play more modern games, but I told him that I'd rather play most of them on a console instead simply due to the controls.

dougsdad0629 said:

Admittedly, I don't game much on my PC.  I only play the occasional Medal of Honor and the original Half-Life.  I was just playing some Half-Life right before I typed this and after my zillionth time falling off of a narrow cliff ledge, I thought I'd bring this up.  I understand why you love the accuracy of aiming with the mouse, but what I don't understand is how you tolerate using the keyboard for movement.  You are limited to a digital (not analog) input.  I like the precise movement that an analog stick gives me.  Using the keyboard feels like I might as well be using a D-pad.  It seems like you PC guys taking 2 steps forward and 2 steps back.  Increased firing accuracy at the expense of decreased movement accuracy.  What are some tips/tricks/pointers to get around this problem?

Still I would horribly beat you in a multiplayer match of cod 4. Me on the pc, you on the console even with the movement issues (which I do not have).