By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - OK you PC guys, I just don't get why mouse/keyboard FPS is such a big deal.

greenmedic88 said:
ssj12 said:
greenmedic88 said:
Reasonable said:
frybread said:
@reasonable

Exactly. If gamepad was good, professional UT / Quake / CS players would be plugging gamepads into their USB ports.

I remember my first FPS (Wolf 3D) - I played it with a joystick. Most FPS gamers in the early days used joysticks. Then Doom came out, we went online (modem to modem or BBS) and faced "mousers" who utterly destroyed us.

There's a reason all us PC based FPS player would love to go toe-to-toe with console players using gamepads... and it's not a pretty one!

"PC gamers" can already play console gamers, ironically only on a console that supports mouse and keyboard controls, specifically on a game that supports mouse and keyboard controls, which by my count is exactly one (UTIII).

Of course, everyone one else playing through PSN can also play with M/kb controls which is why there's an option to exclude playing with those using them.

The only way to "cheat" is to use something like the FragFX online, which works with most console FPS games and gives you the all important advantage of mouse aiming.

Of course any real PC gamer shouldn't be looking for the best way to find ways to gain an unfair advantage (cheat) but instead polish their skills so they can hang with the best PC players on equal ground, assuming they highly take pride in their game skills.

It's like PC gamers who frequent console sites like this one so they can feel smug about being able to build or own a PC that has more graphics processing power than a console, whereas if they really cared that much about the technicalities of the hardware, they would be posting on an overclockers' site instead where everyone is striving to gain the most performance out of any hardware set up they have available.

1. Who says PC gamers cant play a console game with a controller? there are many PC gamers on this site like me, Naz, Ben, and many others that have a console too and play games on them that are of genres that are best suited for PC like FPSs. You comment just shows blantant ignorance.

2. isnt this what most gamers PC and console do???

3. Yes we act smug because we understand the complete interworkings of our PCs and the consoles but there is no reason for us to not show our knowledge and post on a console website if we own a console or work for this site like me, Naz, Ben, DKII, and a few others. Just because some console gamers dont want to take the time out to learn about the hardware in their consoles and gets annoyed when PC owners compare console hardware and PC hardware in details some dont understand it is not us PC users fault that some are to ignorant to read up on or ask for a more general explansion on something.

Ignorant of what?

I use an Xbox 360 wireless controller to play various Games for Windows.

Unfortunately, there are plenty of old games that don't work with it. Even big release games that predate the Xbox 360. 

I have a two page list of old games on Steam and most of them aren't compatible.

And FYI, building PCs is not rocket science. It's no exclusive "club." I just built a Q9400 (OC 400x8@3.2ghz, air cooled scythe ninja copper, 1.256v), HD4870x2, asus p5q3 deluxe, 1x2GB DDR3 1600mhz, 1TB seagate HDD, antec tpq 1000w PSU in an antec 900.

What was your last build?

Sounds like someone was ignorant of the guy they were arguing with.

Regardless, plenty of console games just don't port well to the PC, no matter how great your build is or what controller you're using.

Why us a controller at all for PC gaming? most PC gamers dont. Its normally the console gamers that start playing PC that use a controller. I myself use m+k for PC and a controller for consoles. Just because you use a controller shows that you think your the majority when you are not.

And yes building a PC isnt rocket science you still need to understand connectors, basics of what is needed for a PC, basics of proper cooling, and some other basic things.

Gaming Rig
Manufacturer:
Custom PC
Processor:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory:
3072MB RAM
Hard Drive:
160 GB
Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
Monitor:
Acer 19 AL1917W " 1440 x 900 Display
Sound Card:
Realtek HD Audio output
Speakers/Headphones:
Logitech headphones
Keyboard:
Eclipse II
Mouse:
Razer Diamond Back
Mouse Surface:
Razer Exactmat
Operating System:
Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3, v.3244 (2600.xpsp.071030-1537)
Motherboard: Gigibyte
Computer Case: NZXT

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

The only reason why I'd use a controller on PC is if it was pretty much needed, like DMC4 or something. As for shooters, M and KB hands down

shakunage said:
The only reason why I'd use a controller on PC is if it was pretty much needed, like DMC4 or something. As for shooters, M and KB hands down

Exactly. In other words, PC ports of console games. Like Tomb Raider, Gears of War, etc. I can't stand even trying to use kb/m controls for console games like those. Or any SF/fighting type game either. It's ridiculous.

Offhand I'd say there are too many older PC games that either don't have pad support, or poor support to make the claim that the PC is a game pad standardized environment when it clearly isn't.

The only PC game pad I use is a 360 controller which doesn't work with most PC games, hence the extreme lack of PC gaming that I do with a pad. It was a novelty to play Crysis with a 360 pad once, to see how it would control on a console, but that was the last time I bothered.

But for the vast majority of non or poor pad supported games, it's just easier to use a keyboard anyway if that was the way the game was originally designed to be played.

My brother recently bought a decent gaming rig and started playing TF2 on the PC instead of the 360.

It took him forever to get the headshot achievement on the 360. He got the same achievement on the PC in one game.

Its stuff like that that shows just how much better KBM control is.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Vlad do you even think before typing?

If you really think gear does not help, please prouve your point by doing your next torney with a computer at minimum specs to run UT2004 and the first generation of optical mice.

Cause when you say that the mice you won at a torney is no better than yours, you expect us to think what? that you went there with a 2 button no wheel mouse? or that you're dumb enough to use the comparison of 2 gaming mice?

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Around the Network
Hephaestos said:
Vlad do you even think before typing?

If you really think gear does not help, please prouve your point by doing your next torney with a computer at minimum specs to run UT2004 and the first generation of optical mice.

Cause when you say that the mice you won at a torney is no better than yours, you expect us to think what? that you went there with a 2 button no wheel mouse? or that you're dumb enough to use the comparison of 2 gaming mice?

Let's see, I won that tourney on a now 4 year old laptop, and a mouse with 2 buttons and a scroll wheel, it was also optical. Given how much stuff you pile on top of your mouse it seems that very basic. Also a scroll wheel has been around longer than optical mice. And given a computer to run at min specs but never falling under 25 FPS (there is a reason why movies are at 25 FPS) is no different that running it on full power at 60 FPS. Mice do not a skilful player make.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

OK, I think vlad's comment was taken a little out of context there. I think he meant that the onslaught of "4 gamerz rox0rz" alleged technology is ballast. I took it to mean that does someone really need P-A's Gamer Air to have an advantage over another or complete the game experience.

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

arf, well actually the other day I wanted to piss someone off and err... :)

anyways, nice response Vlad. I guess there is a skill point where gear does not help at all then.... but for average joe, like me, it does make a difference... I say that because I personally noticed change in my performance with the mouse and by having decent sound :p

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO