By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - OK you PC guys, I just don't get why mouse/keyboard FPS is such a big deal.

This thread just reminds me of why I hate UT/Quake type games, and why I especially don't play them online with my PC.

Theres one good thing about a more level playing ground, more people want to play in it.

I think if Malstrom read this thread, we'd hear about it in a couple of weeks.

Tease.

Around the Network
greenmedic88 said:
Reasonable said:
frybread said:
@reasonable

Exactly. If gamepad was good, professional UT / Quake / CS players would be plugging gamepads into their USB ports.

I remember my first FPS (Wolf 3D) - I played it with a joystick. Most FPS gamers in the early days used joysticks. Then Doom came out, we went online (modem to modem or BBS) and faced "mousers" who utterly destroyed us.

There's a reason all us PC based FPS player would love to go toe-to-toe with console players using gamepads... and it's not a pretty one!

"PC gamers" can already play console gamers, ironically only on a console that supports mouse and keyboard controls, specifically on a game that supports mouse and keyboard controls, which by my count is exactly one (UTIII).

Of course, everyone one else playing through PSN can also play with M/kb controls which is why there's an option to exclude playing with those using them.

The only way to "cheat" is to use something like the FragFX online, which works with most console FPS games and gives you the all important advantage of mouse aiming.

Of course any real PC gamer shouldn't be looking for the best way to find ways to gain an unfair advantage (cheat) but instead polish their skills so they can hang with the best PC players on equal ground, assuming they highly take pride in their game skills.

It's like PC gamers who frequent console sites like this one so they can feel smug about being able to build or own a PC that has more graphics processing power than a console, whereas if they really cared that much about the technicalities of the hardware, they would be posting on an overclockers' site instead where everyone is striving to gain the most performance out of any hardware set up they have available.

1. Who says PC gamers cant play a console game with a controller? there are many PC gamers on this site like me, Naz, Ben, and many others that have a console too and play games on them that are of genres that are best suited for PC like FPSs. You comment just shows blantant ignorance.

2. isnt this what most gamers PC and console do???

3. Yes we act smug because we understand the complete interworkings of our PCs and the consoles but there is no reason for us to not show our knowledge and post on a console website if we own a console or work for this site like me, Naz, Ben, DKII, and a few others. Just because some console gamers dont want to take the time out to learn about the hardware in their consoles and gets annoyed when PC owners compare console hardware and PC hardware in details some dont understand it is not us PC users fault that some are to ignorant to read up on or ask for a more general explansion on something.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:
greenmedic88 said:
Reasonable said:
frybread said:
@reasonable

Exactly. If gamepad was good, professional UT / Quake / CS players would be plugging gamepads into their USB ports.

I remember my first FPS (Wolf 3D) - I played it with a joystick. Most FPS gamers in the early days used joysticks. Then Doom came out, we went online (modem to modem or BBS) and faced "mousers" who utterly destroyed us.

There's a reason all us PC based FPS player would love to go toe-to-toe with console players using gamepads... and it's not a pretty one!

"PC gamers" can already play console gamers, ironically only on a console that supports mouse and keyboard controls, specifically on a game that supports mouse and keyboard controls, which by my count is exactly one (UTIII).

Of course, everyone one else playing through PSN can also play with M/kb controls which is why there's an option to exclude playing with those using them.

The only way to "cheat" is to use something like the FragFX online, which works with most console FPS games and gives you the all important advantage of mouse aiming.

Of course any real PC gamer shouldn't be looking for the best way to find ways to gain an unfair advantage (cheat) but instead polish their skills so they can hang with the best PC players on equal ground, assuming they highly take pride in their game skills.

It's like PC gamers who frequent console sites like this one so they can feel smug about being able to build or own a PC that has more graphics processing power than a console, whereas if they really cared that much about the technicalities of the hardware, they would be posting on an overclockers' site instead where everyone is striving to gain the most performance out of any hardware set up they have available.

1. Who says PC gamers cant play a console game with a controller? there are many PC gamers on this site like me, Naz, Ben, and many others that have a console too and play games on them that are of genres that are best suited for PC like FPSs. You comment just shows blantant ignorance.

2. isnt this what most gamers PC and console do???

3. Yes we act smug because we understand the complete interworkings of our PCs and the consoles but there is no reason for us to not show our knowledge and post on a console website if we own a console or work for this site like me, Naz, Ben, DKII, and a few others. Just because some console gamers dont want to take the time out to learn about the hardware in their consoles and gets annoyed when PC owners compare console hardware and PC hardware in details some dont understand it is not us PC users fault that some are to ignorant to read up on or ask for a more general explansion on something.

Ignorant of what?

I use an Xbox 360 wireless controller to play various Games for Windows.

Unfortunately, there are plenty of old games that don't work with it. Even big release games that predate the Xbox 360. 

I have a two page list of old games on Steam and most of them aren't compatible.

And FYI, building PCs is not rocket science. It's no exclusive "club." I just built a Q9400 (OC 400x8@3.2ghz, air cooled scythe ninja copper, 1.256v), HD4870x2, asus p5q3 deluxe, 1x2GB DDR3 1600mhz, 1TB seagate HDD, antec tpq 1000w PSU in an antec 900.

What was your last build?

Sounds like someone was ignorant of the guy they were arguing with.

Regardless, plenty of console games just don't port well to the PC, no matter how great your build is or what controller you're using.

Glove Pie for the win. I like to use the Wiiremote to play the old Crimson Skies. However I need to use Glove Pie for this.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

Squilliam said:
This thread just reminds me of why I hate UT/Quake type games, and why I especially don't play them online with my PC.

Theres one good thing about a more level playing ground, more people want to play in it.

You mean the FPS games where personal skill shines the most? I also have yet to see a UT/Quake type game on consoles, mostly because everything has to be slowed considerably for the controllers.

I also don't see how one peron's KBD+Mouse can be giving him an advantage over another person's KBD + Mouse.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Around the Network
vlad321 said:
Squilliam said:

You mean the FPS games where personal skill shines the most? I also have yet to see a UT/Quake type game on consoles, mostly because everything has to be slowed considerably for the controllers.

I also don't see how one peron's KBD+Mouse can be giving him an advantage over another person's KBD + Mouse.

It doesn't.

I suppose certain keyboards with optimized layouts like the merc stealth or timberwolf can help with speed once you adapt to using them, but for the most part, the assumption should be everyone's relying upon personal skill rather than their input device.

Same goes for consoles since the assumption is everyone's using a pad.

There was UTIII, but it was slowed down for consoles because of the whole analog stick aiming issue.

Was playing UT2004 the other night at 125% speed with a 4870 and there's no way in hell anyone could aim fast enough at that speed with a thumb stick.

greenmedic88 said:
vlad321 said:
Squilliam said:

It doesn't.

I suppose certain keyboards with optimized layouts like the merc stealth or timberwolf can help with speed once you adapt to using them, but for the most part, the assumption should be everyone's relying upon personal skill rather than their input device.

Same goes for consoles since the assumption is everyone's using a pad.

There was UTIII, but it was slowed down for consoles because of the whole analog stick aiming issue.

Was playing UT2004 the other night at 125% speed with a 4870 and there's no way in hell anyone could aim fast enough at that speed with a thumb stick.

UT2004 at its best. My clan's server is a turbo zoom insta gib low grav server, and I love every second of it. There is absolutely no chance anyone with an analog being able to do anything in that mode. UT2004 is the FPS I always cocme back to, sure I find some good fps and play mutliplayer and kill some people, but smoehow I always end up in UT2004 after a while.

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

vlad321 said:
Squilliam said:

You mean having a G9 or the latest razor mouse doesn't give you an advantage over a standard ball mouse??? I used a ball mouse... then an optical .... then a MX510 (or whatever forgot the name)... and now the G9.  Every time, it felt like I was getting a hudge upgrade.

Lazer, more buttons, on-the-fly dpi, better mousewheels.... add to that the customized mousepad, the keyboard, the cable organizers, headphones, microphone... ALL of these can be significant in changing someone's apparent skill. And don't forget the computer configuration.... why the rush to FPS if it didn't afect anything? I mean it sure is easier to play with low graphics.... you see better contrast in colors and can put faster refresh and FPS!

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Hephaestos said:
vlad321 said:
Squilliam said:

You mean having a G9 or the latest razor mouse doesn't give you an advantage over a standard ball mouse??? I used a ball mouse... then an optical .... then a MX510 (or whatever forgot the name)... and now the G9.  Every time, it felt like I was getting a hudge upgrade.

Lazer, more buttons, on-the-fly dpi, better mousewheels.... add to that the customized mousepad, the keyboard, the cable organizers, headphones, microphone... ALL of these can be significant in changing someone's apparent skill. And don't forget the computer configuration.... why the rush to FPS if it didn't afect anything? I mean it sure is easier to play with low graphics.... you see better contrast in colors and can put faster refresh and FPS!

I have not seen a ball mouse even being sold in 3 years. Also the biggest change anyone I know has noticed when upgrading mice is the weight change which significantly makes your aim worse until you get used to the new weight. After that you really don't see any difference. Just last fall I got myself a brand new razor (from a UT2004 tourney actually) and I did not notice anything that it brought on the table that's new, and it did nothing to improve my skill. Now seriosly... customized mouse pads? cable organizers? headphones and micrphones? WTF do they even have anything to do with the player's skill? Same with the keyboard, biggest change is key spacing and once you are through that you really don't fee a difference. Don't get me wrong more buttons are great on a mouse, as long as you are using them and not just using them in the rare occassions when you stop and snipe....

I'm not going to read all 4 pages, so these may have been said:

You can use a controller for any PC game. You could use it for Company Of Heroes if you really wanted to. There are many programs out there, the best is Pinnacle Game Profiler. You can request a profile on the forums and someone probably has it.

I had been a console gamer for a good 5 years until I got my first PC. The difference in control is amazing. I don't want to go back to console controls now, I used my 360 controller with CoD4 and it was horrible in comparrison. It's much easier to have different keys for different tasks, too.

Anyway, most PC Gamers are in it for the variety of games, not the controls. The controls are just an added bonus.

I didn't know if I should laugh or rage when I saw the post about using a Wii controller. That's uncomfortable, innacurate and lacks any real F/3PS games.