By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Dgc1808 said:
Garnett said:
Dgc1808 said:
The PS3 reads Single layer BD's at 9MB per second and Dual Layer at 4.5MB..... that's gonna be some amazing loading.....

There has yet been an uncompressed game that needs a little over a 50GB disk....... Wasted space......

It's possible for PS3's and other Bluray Players to read 4layer 100GB disk with just a firmware update, as stated by both Pioneer and Samsung [they've made said disks....]... sure the same goes for a 16 layer???

This is all great tech but we just don't need it for games or movies right now...... later on when BD drives are much faster and Cheaper [the ps3 is 400 bucks yet it's BD drive is only a 2x reader] then this tech will become more practical....

I was gonna say the SAME EXACT THING!!!

But can you imagen 30 gig mandatory install??????????????

PS3 has its ups and it has its down and blue ray is both.

30GB???? D=...... Um... sure.... When 5 Terabyte SATA 2.5' HDD's are 150$ and can read and write at 500GB's a second I won't mind at all XD

But yeah, I hope the Next SONY console will have atleast a 8x or 12x drive, they should be cheaper 4-5 years from now. These Magnatory installs are getting Extreme, to many games might start needing them....

I said that cause if PS3 was to have a 400 gig game than it would have a 30 gig install on HDD,Since Blue Ray is so slow it has to do it or the Game will lag.

To be honest Crysis graphics are not really that resource draining,If you limit View distance then im sure it will run fine on 360/PS3.

Besides i would rather have 2-3 disc than 1 HD format disc with a mandatory install,and waste my HDD space on 1 game,when i can use it to download extra levels or what not.

Around the Network
EDIT- Double post plz delete

d21lewis said:
Jason77 said:
400gbs !!!!
So how many movies can it holds ????

All of them. 

lmao

drpunk said:
Can PS3 read 16 layers?

With a firmware update yes, however, it would take an extremely long time to load 400GB with the PS3 drive, and I don't think people want 100GB installs, so it is extremely unlikely you'll see anything using more than 2 layers.

Marty8370 said:
Phrancheyez said:
1. This isn't news..it was a few months ago though..

2. PS3 won't use these..ever. PS4 won't use 400 gig discs either.

3. @epsilon - graphics can. More space = more space for higher res textures and uncompressed sound. So in theory, you can get a higher quality game with more space..but regardless, it won't happen this gen or next imo.

Sorry, but you or I don't know that the PS4 will or won't use 400Gb Blu-rays. The point is it's nice for Sony too have the option to include it. Fact is Blu-ray has an upgrade path that will support Tb's storage in the future and been backward compatible with PS3 in the process via firmware.

You're right, it won't. It will use 800GB discs with a 100x blu-ray drive capable of reading 20GB/s!

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
How long does it take to develop a game that uses even the 50 gig now available? and you want them to use 400gigs!!

It is of little to no use except for maybe lazy or inefficient programmers.

Yes because programs take up the majority of the disk space.  I guess you're even lazier for not thinking things through.  The majority of the disk space is occupied by high definition sounds, textures and other eye/ear candies that makes people go ooooooh, aaaaaah.  But then again, don't sweat it it's new.

I like how the few select PS3 fanboys jump on anybody trying to bring on a logical argument as to the impracticalities of having a 400 GB Blu-Ray Disc. I mean, calm down!

If they dramatically increased the read speeds for Blu-Ray, it might be feasible for other things besides creating textures and models for games. Current methods for disc technology and game development prohibit a 'requirement' for that much space.

If and when those methods change, however, it'd be a whole new ballpark. :)

The BuShA owns all!

Vertigo-X said:
I like how the few select PS3 fanboys jump on anybody trying to bring on a logical argument as to the impracticalities of having a 400 GB Blu-Ray Disc. I mean, calm down!

If they dramatically increased the read speeds for Blu-Ray, it might be feasible for other things besides creating textures and models for games. Current methods for disc technology and game development prohibit a 'requirement' for that much space.

If and when those methods change, however, it'd be a whole new ballpark. :)

BR is very fast. It's just the drive in the PS3 is slow. That does not discount the optical media as a future path for gaming.

As for a particle use, x-plane (a PC game) takes 90 gig of space.

Currently a very large percentage of the US has been photographed at 1 meeter or better resolution. That's many terabytes of data. We have the entire US elevations as well. that alone takes up many gigabytes. It would be nice to have a game deliver this fidelity (flight simulators, Rally car racers, whatever).

Providing that in a game is not a matter of disk speed or development time. It's primarily a matter of storage space. 

Last I heard the cost of the disc isn't worth it. I remember reading an article claiming even 3 layers of BD isn't worth the price it costs. They'll never use a BD that size the price to make the disc is just too high.

-=Dew the disco dancing fo da Unco Graham=-

I want 8 MGS4'S in one Blu-Ray :D.

F.U. Fun University.