By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
TheRealMafoo said:

BR is very fast. It's just the drive in the PS3 is slow. That does not discount the optical media as a future path for gaming.

As for a particle use, x-plane (a PC game) takes 90 gig of space.

Currently a very large percentage of the US has been photographed at 1 meeter or better resolution. That's many terabytes of data. We have the entire US elevations as well. that alone takes up many gigabytes. It would be nice to have a game deliver this fidelity (flight simulators, Rally car racers, whatever).

Providing that in a game is not a matter of disk speed or development time. It's primarily a matter of storage space. 

I never said that optical media was not a good path for future gaming. I meant for the current methods of self-generation of the content, not using picture generated results. You're telling me that the guys who develop X-Plane made every single texture that takes up gigabytes upon gigabytes of information? I'd like to see how they've done that! :P

I should've been more specific about my comment; I had forgotten how little effort compared to other games the simulators require. Providing a several gigabyte texture onto a small, single model isn't very desireable, IMO, with the current methods.

The BuShA owns all!

Around the Network

@ Dgc1808

The PS3 reads Single layer BD's at 9MB per second and Dual Layer at 4.5MB..... that's gonna be some amazing loading...

No, also 9 MB/s (thus quite a bit faster than the average speed at which 6.8GB 360 DL DVDs can be read). 1.5x speed is the minimum requirement for reading Blu-Ray movies. Layer switching luckily doesn't cause any issues with Blu-Ray disc, like on DVD. It's much more advanced technology.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

That would be cool.
all pros, no cons.
Whats not to love about it?

i can already see kojima's expression when he hears about this.

"400gb?.... meh. to fully realize my vision for mgs5, which i vowed to not make anymore, i need at least 1tb."

While i love advances in technology.. it still seems that blu ray is hardly scratching the surface. Nearly every one i know here in the middle east have HDTV's but guess how many households have blu ray players.. zipoo.. none.. nada..

and why is that..

costs.. and thats because current discs at 50gb are too expensive( original movies are around $ 40 here, no one is pushing blu ray burners.. BD-R single layer discs cost around $20).. i cant even imagine the price of a 400 gb disc.. while it would be awesome to have that kinda space.. at what cost is what i wonder.. im beginning to see why HD-DVD would have been a superior format.. by the time people begin to adopt blu ray it would have become too outdated for itself, especially with upcoming technologies like holographic disc and HDV etc.

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

Around the Network
arsenicazure said:
While i love advances in technology.. it still seems that blu ray is hardly scratching the surface. Nearly every one i know here in the middle east have HDTV's but guess how many households have blu ray players.. zipoo.. none.. nada..

and why is that..

costs.. and thats because current discs at 50gb are too expensive( original movies are around $ 40 here, no one is pushing blu ray burners.. BD-R single layer discs cost around $20).. i cant even imagine the price of a 400 gb disc.. while it would be awesome to have that kinda space.. at what cost is what i wonder.. im beginning to see why HD-DVD would have been a superior format.. by the time people begin to adopt blu ray it would have become too outdated for itself, especially with upcoming technologies like holographic disc and HDV etc.

Your way off, Blu-ray will fast  become the replacement for DVD's. Blu-ray's are becoming more affordable as they hit mass production. More they sell,cheaper Blu-ray will become. Blu-ray is already getting costs down too near DVD production costs.

Holographic disc and HDV are atleast 5 or 6 years off becoming affordable, by the time they do Blu-ray will have hold of the majority of the Hi Def market.

I thought holo discs were still considered vaporware.

-=Dew the disco dancing fo da Unco Graham=-

I could put my whole movie collection on this + hard drive files + even more stuff :D

Marty8370 said:

Your way off, Blu-ray will fast  become the replacement for DVD's. Blu-ray's are becoming more affordable as they hit mass production. More they sell,cheaper Blu-ray will become. Blu-ray is already getting costs down too near DVD production costs.

Holographic disc and HDV are atleast 5 or 6 years off becoming affordable, by the time they do Blu-ray will have hold of the majority of the Hi Def market.

More like Video on Demand will have it. Physical media is old hat.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

Gnac said:
Marty8370 said:

More like Video on Demand will have it. Physical media is old hat.

Internet connections need too be a loads faster & more affordable for that too happen. When ya can download 25Gb/50Gb Hi Def in around 30 - 60 mins, maybe Physical media will be seen as old hat. Until then Blu-ray is the only Hi Def media solution.