By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Grahamhsu said:
I thought holo discs were still considered vaporware.

Exactly.

Around the Network
Marty8370 said:
Gnac said:
Marty8370 said:

Your way off, Blu-ray will fast  become the replacement for DVD's. Blu-ray's are becoming more affordable as they hit mass production. More they sell,cheaper Blu-ray will become. Blu-ray is already getting costs down too near DVD production costs.

Holographic disc and HDV are atleast 5 or 6 years off becoming affordable, by the time they do Blu-ray will have hold of the majority of the Hi Def market.

More like Video on Demand will have it. Physical media is old hat.

Internet connections need too be a loads faster & more affordable for that too happen. When ya can download 25Gb/50Gb Hi Def in around 30 - 60 mins, maybe Physical media will be seen as old hat. Until then Blu-ray is the only Hi Def media solution.

Streaming HD video on demand services are already available via cable. It's quite different from downloading via PC. The cable connection often comes as part of the package too, so it's affordable!

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

Username2324 said:
drpunk said:
Can PS3 read 16 layers?

With a firmware update yes, however, it would take an extremely long time to load 400GB with the PS3 drive, and I don't think people want 100GB installs, so it is extremely unlikely you'll see anything using more than 2 layers.

No it can't.

Firmware can't compensate for missing hardware.

HDV players are available in the middle east already..i saw them at some store once..im defntly gonna check the prices n get back on it..the point i was making is that a DL DVD still costs over2-3 times the price of a SL DVD.. if a 50gb bluray costs $20 how much would a 400 gb cost... hmmmmmmm

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

Boy that game is going to have a LOT of uncompressed Audio.

Around the Network
Gnac said:
Marty8370 said:
Gnac said:
Marty8370 said:

Your way off, Blu-ray will fast  become the replacement for DVD's. Blu-ray's are becoming more affordable as they hit mass production. More they sell,cheaper Blu-ray will become. Blu-ray is already getting costs down too near DVD production costs.

Holographic disc and HDV are atleast 5 or 6 years off becoming affordable, by the time they do Blu-ray will have hold of the majority of the Hi Def market.

Internet connections need too be a loads faster & more affordable for that too happen. When ya can download 25Gb/50Gb Hi Def in around 30 - 60 mins, maybe Physical media will be seen as old hat. Until then Blu-ray is the only Hi Def media solution.

Streaming HD video on demand services are already available via cable. It's quite different from downloading via PC. The cable connection often comes as part of the package too, so it's affordable!

Yes, but what if you want to watch again? And again?  From what I've seen with VOD is that the cable companies only lease you the videos and there are playback limits, you won't even have a copy stored on your set top box it's all in their servers.  And adult content are considered bought once you preview them, haha.

code.samurai said:
Gnac said:
Marty8370 said:
Gnac said:
Marty8370 said:

Yes, but what if you want to watch again? And again?  From what I've seen with VOD is that the cable companies only lease you the videos and there are playback limits, you won't even have a copy stored on your set top box it's all in their servers.  And adult content are considered bought once you preview them, haha.

There are pay-as-you-go and contract plans. The first lets you "rent" a series for something paltry like £4, and watch it as many times as you like for a week. The contract imposes no limits, and would most likely work out cheaper if you are a fiend for it.

Also: buy adult content? This is what the internet is for!

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

i've heard of a similar technology utilized on regular dvd's.

i think this is probably possible with most disc based storage but i'm no expert.

isn't there something like red-ray which can hold 1tb of data?

afree_account said:
Username2324 said:
drpunk said:
Can PS3 read 16 layers?

With a firmware update yes, however, it would take an extremely long time to load 400GB with the PS3 drive, and I don't think people want 100GB installs, so it is extremely unlikely you'll see anything using more than 2 layers.

No it can't.

Firmware can't compensate for missing hardware.

hitachi managed to get 200gb 4 50gb layered disc to work on currect drives, with just firmwares update.

of course that depends on the method used, some require a lens modification

well, the original poster doesn't know that it's the graphic card that is most important to have great graphics. It'll cost like 10000$ per 16 layer if manufactured now. PS3 or any bd player in the market can't read beyond dual layer.