By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

It's already expensive as hell for developers to make games now. What makes you guys think that all the developers will use 400gb. They would have to make the games more expensive to make a profit. I highly doubt anyone would use that much space anyways, games don't need that much space to be great. It would be a masterpiece with it, but it would be a long as hell game. Plus, if develpoers use that much space, the game prices would multiply, and games are already high as it is.

Around the Network

@ kowenicki

Yeah and to burn 400 gig to a blu ray disc would currently take about a week on one of the very few decent priced domestic Blu-Ray burners out there.

A 4x Blu-Ray burner would take about 6 hours. 8 speed Blu-Ray burners are available (at least in Japan), they can burn a 50 GB Blu-Ray disc in 22 minutes.

The PS3 Blu-Ray player is 2x (Blu-Ray movies are 1.5x), so it would take at least 12 hours to read streamed data of a 400 GB Blu-Ray disc. With regard to a game it would take much longer due to seektimes for data stored on various locations and of course being overkill with regard to required data supply.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

F*** it. My computer is messing up, lol.

PS3 can't read a Blu-ray that big

/thread

Around the Network
BMaker11 said:
PS3 can't read a Blu-ray that big

/thread

Quote:

Pioneer mentions that its disc requires the same objective lens specifications as existing Blu-ray discs, making backward-compatibility "possible." 

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/15063

So guess what the PS3 could read a 400Gb Blu-ray disc.

Cool all PS one games on one Blu ray =p.

Maybe for the PS4.Once developers get used to have their ultra-high resolution textures in their development tools a game like the ones today but with everything HD could go over the 50Gb mark.Add to that uncompressed sound ,lots of languages in the same disc ,etc and you can really use the extra space.

Or 100.000 songs on one Blu Ray!

Diomedes1976 said:
Maybe for the PS4.Once developers get used to have their ultra-high resolution textures in their development tools a game like the ones today but with everything HD could go over the 50Gb mark.Add to that uncompressed sound ,lots of languages in the same disc ,etc and you can really use the extra space.

I think even PS3 could see a 100Gb Blu-ray disc before this gen is over. But yes I totally agree lots of ultra-high resolution textures, uncompressed audio ,lots of languages in the same disc ,etc and you can really use the extra space.

I think this will be also used in PS4, as Blu-ray has great upgrade path. No doubt faster & larger Blu-ray discs will come and go.