By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Marty8370 said:
FJ-Warez said:
So if MGS4 takes up to 30 Gbs and it was a 4 year dev time + 70 millions budget, do you really thing that anybody will try to make use of this 400Gb disk??? :P LOL

Yes, cos the space can be used for hi def graphics using higher res textures, hi def quality FMV, hi def uncompressed audio. Allow developers to have multiple routes/ more location's in an open world type game.  And it would'nt have to cost more to develope for.

Uncompressed audio is mostly lost space, you can compress it almost 90% before the loss in quality becomes even noticeable to all but the most sophisticated sound systems. Loss-less audio is a waste for 99% of the market, everyone but those with the best sound systems available and I'm certain we all don't have one.

Hi def graphics, the resolution of the image generated is still limited by the graphics card, hi res textures a LOT of time and the more resolution the more room for error. FMV, I got nothing but they do eat a lot of space.

In essence if you try to fill up a 400GB disc in todays generation you're talking a budget that would make most things look small, the more detail you put into everything the more time and the more workers you need, your budget is higher and higher. In fact to my knowledge 50GB discs aren't used out of need but instead for duplicate info to reduce load times and for loss-less audio which is pretty much just a bullet point for the back of the game case(just like "hi-def graphics!") when games start pointing this out instead of the story or mechanics, I quit it's over.

Around the Network
souixan said:
Marty8370 said:
FJ-Warez said:
So if MGS4 takes up to 30 Gbs and it was a 4 year dev time + 70 millions budget, do you really thing that anybody will try to make use of this 400Gb disk??? :P LOL

Yes, cos the space can be used for hi def graphics using higher res textures, hi def quality FMV, hi def uncompressed audio. Allow developers to have multiple routes/ more location's in an open world type game.  And it would'nt have to cost more to develope for.

Uncompressed audio is mostly lost space, you can compress it almost 90% before the loss in quality becomes even noticeable to all but the most sophisticated sound systems. Loss-less audio is a waste for 99% of the market, everyone but those with the best sound systems available and I'm certain we all don't have one.

Hi def graphics, the resolution of the image generated is still limited by the graphics card, hi res textures a LOT of time and the more resolution the more room for error. FMV, I got nothing but they do eat a lot of space.

In essence if you try to fill up a 400GB disc in todays generation you're talking a budget that would make most things look small, the more detail you put into everything the more time and the more workers you need, your budget is higher and higher. In fact to my knowledge 50GB discs aren't used out of need but instead for duplicate info to reduce load times and for loss-less audio which is pretty much just a bullet point for the back of the game case(just like "hi-def graphics!") when games start pointing this out instead of the story or mechanics, I quit it's over.

Wow you so missed the point of having mass storage space. There would be no needed to compress, hence no loss in the best audio quality or graphics would'nt need compressing either. Possiblities would be awesome, and in some uses would save time/cost not increase cost.

@ souixan

In fact to my knowledge 50GB discs aren't used out of need but instead for duplicate info to reduce load times and for loss-less audio which is pretty much just a bullet point for the back of the game case(just like "hi-def graphics!") when games start pointing this out instead of the story or mechanics, I quit it's over.

That's not correct, 50 GB disc is used for MGS4 for allowing fewer quality related sacrifices.

Sure, there's some nice potential with regard to data duplication. If you have so much space it can make good sense to have data located on various spots on a disc to reduce seektimes. If you have the resources to do so, why not make use of this nomatter if there's only a small gain (IMO a gain is a gain nontheless)?

But in general (on average) a 50 GB Blu-Ray disc can be read faster than a 6.8 GB 360 dual layer DVD with better seektimes in combination with proper data placements (area 1 equals DVD 1, area 2 equals DVD 2, etc, if you design the game engine to swap from area 6 to area 1 then you may end up with greater seektimes, which could be solved through either data duplication or caching (or installing) the used data onto the harddrive.

One issue though is that some game file structures have been optimised for DVDs (mostly regards ports), the outer tracks are being read faster than the inner tracks, dumping such data without change on Blu-Ray disc may result into issues (which provides constant predictable reading speeds, which is potentially much better for potential optimisations from a technical perspective).

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

CGI-Quality said:
@ vlad

Uuh Crysis looks the way it does for many reasons other than space but the big reason, since you like trash talking about PS3, is it's on PC. Duuuh, of course it looks better than any CONSOLE games. You just said what you did just to come in here and bash the PS3 as you always do. ANYWAY I agree wih Marty, having the option of space is better than having too little of space, RAGE anyone? As he said none of us knows when these can be or will be used, so best to wait it out and see what happens.

I'm surprised that my itnention wasn't clear enough from the get go. Yes I came here to rash talk the PS3 just as OP started off with his grand PS3 plans of games with uber graphics due to 400 gigs of storage space, it's funny to see PS3 fanboys being flamed with the same tools they flame others.

@Marty

I think you missed souixan's opening statement.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Ok... people in labs working on new discs, please stop! we won't ever need more than 50gb. Even better, stop selling blurays! DVDs are enough forever! only lazy developpers need more...

In which world are you living? In mine, storage size has been increasing like crazy since forever and the use of storage by games also did so. Are you born for less than 10 years and only know the DVD? Guys...

They will know Helgan belongs to Helghasts

Around the Network
Bokal said:
Ok... people in labs working on new discs, please stop! we won't ever need more than 50gb. Even better, stop selling blurays! DVDs are enough forever! only lazy developpers need more...

In which world are you living? In mine, storage size has been increasing like crazy since forever and the use of storage by games also did so. Are you born for less than 10 years and only know the DVD? Guys...

I'm  surprised you ever got a computer, sounds like your stuck in the dark ages. A calculator would of done, going by your logic. No need for technology to progress.

The Sony fanboys in this thread have provided me with all the humor I needed today. Thanks guys.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Marty8370 said:
Bokal said:

I'm  surprised you ever got a computer, sounds like your stuck in the dark ages. A calculator would of done, going by your logic. No need for technology to progress.

I think you didn't get my point... I was ironical in the first part... I thought it looked stupid enough to be clear...

They will know Helgan belongs to Helghasts

thetonestarr said:
The Sony fanboys in this thread have provided me with all the humor I needed today. Thanks guys.

360 fanboy's make me laugh, when they say Blu-ray 25Gb/50Gb space is'nt needed. When clearly it is.

You look at 360 DVD9 storage, old and out dated. Even 360 games are starting too come on 2 & 3 disc's now.

Nothing like forward thinking, something Sony has done and MS has'nt.

I think 50 gig is plenty for this gen. I can see the ps4 having 500gig discs possibly.