By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Price point please?

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Around the Network
Marty8370 said:
What did Bill Gates say about PC memory. 640Mb wil be all thats needed. Now I have 4Gb in my PC. Alot more than 640Mb is required to do the very basic of tasks.

Too say 400Gb Blu-ray won't be required, you could be going down the same path that Bill Gate's was on. And look how that turned out.

400 gb won't be required.  And I'd LOVE to go down the same path as Bill Gates..I wouldn't have to wait for game releases cuz I'd OWN THE COMPANIES MAKING THEM.

Horrible argument...and how many generations did it take for you to need 4gb of memory?  I'm saying by the next gen, no game will take up that much space..200 gigs, MAYBE, and that's one HELL of a game..as expensive as games are nowadays to develop, the price would mulitply if it had to take up that much more space, and as such, games would take twice as long to develop..developers won't do that because they'll be spending way more to make a game than they'll actually make on a game.  But you have a PlayStation avatar, right?  Of course you know the future..

MikeB said:
kitler53 said:
...also going to be one hell of a loading screen.

Or no in-game loading like Uncharted, but with more higher quality graphics and audio and up to about 16 times the game lenght of audio/graphics varierty.

Seriously, if the PS3 can be made to be compatible it's just too expensive to produce 16 layered discs at this point on a mass scale. Developing companies will stick to the amount of layers they feel will provide them the ideal balance between requirements, costs and competitive edge.

I think it requires a tweaked blu-ray lazer too read the new 400Gb+ discs.

But that still might not rule out PS4 having this new Blu-ray lazer while remaining compatible with the older PS3 blu-ray.

depends on the method used, firmware updates hitachi does may work

Phrancheyez said:
Marty8370 said:
What did Bill Gates say about PC memory. 640Mb wil be all thats needed. Now I have 4Gb in my PC. Alot more than 640Mb is required to do the very basic of tasks.

Too say 400Gb Blu-ray won't be required, you could be going down the same path that Bill Gate's was on. And look how that turned out.

400 gb won't be required.  And I'd LOVE to go down the same path as Bill Gates..I wouldn't have to wait for game releases cuz I'd OWN THE COMPANIES MAKING THEM.

Horrible argument...and how many generations did it take for you to need 4gb of memory?  I'm saying by the next gen, no game will take up that much space..200 gigs, MAYBE, and that's one HELL of a game..as expensive as games are nowadays to develop, the price would mulitply if it had to take up that much more space, and as such, games would take twice as long to develop..developers won't do that because they'll be spending way more to make a game than they'll actually make on a game.  But you have a PlayStation avatar, right?  Of course you know the future..

Never said I could seen into the furture.

I like to option's, and Blu-ray is making good progress in the right direction. Whether 400Gb will be used for games, it might be eventually. Maybe nex gen, or gen after.  But it still don't rule out smaller 100Gb/200Gb or 300Gb Blu-ray disc's using the same layer process. And I'd say we will be heading too 100Gb-300Gb games sooner than ya think.

Also it would depend on the game been made whether it would require 400Gb of space. But it's still nice too have the option. Better than having restriction's on storage space or using dated tech.

Around the Network

wow... This is good news for PS3 if it is capable of reading these 16 layer discs.

and people supported HD DVD.

A game for 400 gigs? Are you sane? Crysis was around 10 gigs and it looks better than anything on the PS3 ever will.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Marty8370 said:

umm..i think that quote was sometime in the 1981 and it read "640K should be enough for anybody"

:)

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

Holy frack!! do they even fill the 50gig?

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Marty8370 said:
FJ-Warez said:
So if MGS4 takes up to 30 Gbs and it was a 4 year dev time + 70 millions budget, do you really thing that anybody will try to make use of this 400Gb disk??? :P LOL

Yes, cos the space can be used for hi def graphics using higher res textures, hi def quality FMV, hi def uncompressed audio. Allow developers to have multiple routes/ more location's in an open world type game.  And it would'nt have to cost more to develope for.

Then you are just naive, content is definitely regulated by the budget (Edit: and time), and to make the things worse the load times should be a lot slower than the current Single Layer and Dual Layer disk, so, your hopes are really unrealistic...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."