By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Jason77 said:
400gbs !!!!
So how many movies can it holds ????

All of them. 

Around the Network
disolitude said:
Pioneer inventer sixteen 25GB Blu-Ray discs in one in one disk which sounds great untill you hear the limitation...the optical drive can only see 25GB at a time.

So to use it, you will maually have to switch to layer 1,2,3...

DVD9 dual layer has the same problem, slight delay changing layers.

1. This isn't news..it was a few months ago though..

2. PS3 won't use these..ever. PS4 won't use 400 gig discs either.

3. @epsilon - graphics can. More space = more space for higher res textures and uncompressed sound. So in theory, you can get a higher quality game with more space..but regardless, it won't happen this gen or next imo.

Bokal said:
kowenicki said:
How long does it take to develop a game that uses even the 50 gig now available? and you want them to use 400gigs!!

It is of little to no use except for maybe lazy or inefficient programmers.

Do you really think video games improvements will stop under the size of 50gig?

no it wont stop there but i dont think developers are going to move from DVD9 to over bluray 50-400 gb in a span of one generation,especially with only one videogame company supporting it.

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

Phrancheyez said:

3. @epsilon - graphics can. More space = more space for higher res textures and uncompressed sound. So in theory, you can get a higher quality game with more space..but regardless, it won't happen this gen or next imo.

Sorry, but you or I don't know that the PS4 will or won't use 400Gb Blu-rays. The point is it's nice for Sony too have the option to include it. Fact is Blu-ray has an upgrade path that will support Tb's storage in the future and been backward compatible with PS3 in the process via firmware.

Around the Network
Phrancheyez said:

Sorry, but you or I don't know that the PS4 will or won't use 400Gb Blu-rays. The point is it's nice for Sony too have the option to include it. Fact is Blu-ray has an upgrade path that will support Tb's storage in the future and been backward compatible with PS3 in the process via firmware.

kitler53 said:
...also going to be one hell of a loading screen.

So your expecting Blu-ray spin & read speed not to increase as well. 

The thing is CD/DVD tech hit a wall, spin speed wise they are maxed out.

With blu-ray spin speed does'nt need too be fast to out perform DVD's read speed. Mean has a long way before it's spin speed & read speed are maxed out.

arsenicazure said:
Bokal said:
kowenicki said:
How long does it take to develop a game that uses even the 50 gig now available? and you want them to use 400gigs!!

no it wont stop there but i dont think developers are going to move from DVD9 to over bluray 50-400 gb in a span of one generation,especially with only one videogame company supporting it.

That's not what he said.

Actually he said that it would take too much time to fill a 400gb disc and then that it would be for lazy programmers, which is kinda weird statement.

Also he was not talking about this gen.

They will know Helgan belongs to Helghasts

Bokal said:
kowenicki said:

Most of the best games ever made ran in far, far less space than that. Some even fit on floppies. Space is an exceedingly poor predictor of game quality; indeed, one might go as far as to say that it stopped mattering several generations ago.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Pirates will like this. They will not mind manually switching between layers.