By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
vlad321 said:
A game for 400 gigs? Are you sane? Crysis was around 10 gigs and it looks better than anything on the PS3 ever will.

I never said 400Gb Blu-ray for PS3 games. Maybe PS4 or PS5.

But it's quite possible for future gens. The way technology is improving graphics, Audio, CPU & GPU power every 5-6 years we need storage capacity too store all the increased data that the games and other apps will need.

Around the Network
arsenicazure said:
Marty8370 said:
What did Bill Gates say about PC memory. 640Mb wil be all thats needed. Now I have 4Gb in my PC. Alot more than 640Mb is required to do the very basic of tasks.

Too say 400Gb Blu-ray won't be required, you could be going down the same path that Bill Gate's was on. And look how that turned out.

umm..i think that quote was sometime in the 1981 and it read "640K should be enough for anybody"

:)

"“No one will need more than 637 kb of memory for a personal computer. 640 kB ought to be enough for anybody"

(Bill Gates, Microsoft, 1981)

“There is no need for any individual to have a computer in their home.”

(Ken Olson, President of Digital Equipment Corp, in 1977)

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."

(Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943)

Insights with regard to computing potential changed dramatically with the introduction of multi-tasking multimedia systems like the Amiga in 1985.

Other remarkably insighful tech quotes:

"This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us."

(Western Union internal memo, 1876)

“Radio has no future.” (Lord Kelvin, 1897)

"Everything that can be invented has been invented."

(Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents, 1899)

“Well informed people know it is impossible to transmit the voice over wires and that were it possible to do so, the thing would be of no practical value.” (The Boston Post in 1865)

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Marty8370 said:
vlad321 said:
A game for 400 gigs? Are you sane? Crysis was around 10 gigs and it looks better than anything on the PS3 ever will.

I never said 400Gb Blu-ray for PS3 games.

But it's quite possible for future gens. The way technology is improving graphics, Audio, CPU & GPU power every 5-6 years we need storage capacity too store all the increased data that the games and other apps will need.

It was a reposne to the OP but alright. Yes, everythign else has been going up but 400 gigs is ridiculous. That's almost as much as my HDD. As I said, currently the most graphical game out there is Crysis and that covers a very small fraction of those 400. Maybe some day in a few decades yes, 400 gigs would be useful. But not any time soon.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

MikeB said:
arsenicazure said:
Marty8370 said:
What did Bill Gates say about PC memory. 640Mb wil be all thats needed. Now I have 4Gb in my PC. Alot more than 640Mb is required to do the very basic of tasks.

Too say 400Gb Blu-ray won't be required, you could be going down the same path that Bill Gate's was on. And look how that turned out.

umm..i think that quote was sometime in the 1981 and it read "640K should be enough for anybody"

:)

"“No one will need more than 637 kb of memory for a personal computer. 640 kB ought to be enough for anybody"

(Bill Gates, Microsoft, 1981)

“There is no need for any individual to have a computer in their home.”

(Ken Olson, President of Digital Equipment Corp, in 1977)

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."

(Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943)

Insights with regard to computing potential changed dramatically with the introduction of multi-tasking multimedia systems like the Amiga in 1985.

Other remarkably insighful tech quotes:

"This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us."

(Western Union internal memo, 1876)

“Radio has no future.” [Lord Kelvin, 1897)

"Everything that can be invented has been invented."

(Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents, 1899)

“Well informed people know it is impossible to transmit the voice over wires and that were it possible to do so, the thing would be of no practical value.” (The Boston Post in 1865)

Well I could'nt remember the exact quote word for word. Was only using the quote to get my point across.

640k to 4Gb is a huge jump.

@ vlad321

Yes, everythign else has been going up but 400 gigs is ridiculous. That's almost as much as my HDD.

Maybe some day in a few decades yes, 400 gigs would be useful. But not any time soon.

I think being able to backup your entire harddrive onto just one disc easily would already be useful to some people.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

so 4-5 years of development for FFXIII on 50gb

hello FFXIV in year 2120 on 400gb

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

arsenicazure said:

no it wont stop there but i dont think developers are going to move from DVD9 to over bluray 50-400 gb in a span of one generation,especially with only one videogame company supporting it.

you really think MS is still going to use dvd9 next gen? i highly doubt it.... and N will probably go back to carts, haha.

OT: These will NOT be used for games any time soon, (read 10 yrs) but whatever idiot up there said there's no real world use is just being stoopid. you can back up your entire damn server and then some onto a single disc??? why in the hell would i want something like that?

vlad321 said:
Marty8370 said:
vlad321 said:

It was a reposne to the OP but alright. Yes, everythign else has been going up but 400 gigs is ridiculous. That's almost as much as my HDD. As I said, currently the most graphical game out there is Crysis and that covers a very small fraction of those 400. Maybe some day in a few decades yes, 400 gigs would be useful. But not any time soon.

Depends really on the game genre. Open world would be a good example where masses of data could easily used if available.

Naum said:
so 4-5 years of development for FFXIII on 50gb

hello FFXIV in year 2120 on 400gb

It doesn't always work like this, taking a photograph in 1 megapixel quality takes very little space, taking a photograph which for instance takes 16 MB of storage space normally provides much higher quality, suitable for zooming in and such. Both take a similar amount of time to take a picture.

Concept art is usually of way better quality than the actually used art, they are often significantly downgraded to meet platform specs and game engine design. For recording lossless 7.1 audio you mostly need the right equipment and technology.

PS3 vs 360 sales

Marty8370 said:
vlad321 said:
Marty8370 said:
vlad321 said:

Depends really on the game genre. Open world would be a good example where masses of data could easily used if available.

It really doesn't depend on the game. You can't have graphics worth 400 gigs. Maybe contents in terms of massive scale, but how long and how much money do you have to spend to make that currently? The only thing it's useful for currently tha I can think of is major data back-up storage.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835