By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Gnac said:
code.samurai said:
Gnac said:
Marty8370 said:
Gnac said:
Marty8370 said:

Your way off, Blu-ray will fast  become the replacement for DVD's. Blu-ray's are becoming more affordable as they hit mass production. More they sell,cheaper Blu-ray will become. Blu-ray is already getting costs down too near DVD production costs.

Holographic disc and HDV are atleast 5 or 6 years off becoming affordable, by the time they do Blu-ray will have hold of the majority of the Hi Def market.

More like Video on Demand will have it. Physical media is old hat.

Internet connections need too be a loads faster & more affordable for that too happen. When ya can download 25Gb/50Gb Hi Def in around 30 - 60 mins, maybe Physical media will be seen as old hat. Until then Blu-ray is the only Hi Def media solution.

Streaming HD video on demand services are already available via cable. It's quite different from downloading via PC. The cable connection often comes as part of the package too, so it's affordable!

Yes, but what if you want to watch again? And again?  From what I've seen with VOD is that the cable companies only lease you the videos and there are playback limits, you won't even have a copy stored on your set top box it's all in their servers.  And adult content are considered bought once you preview them, haha.

There are pay-as-you-go and contract plans. The first lets you "rent" a series for something paltry like £4, and watch it as many times as you like for a week. The contract imposes no limits, and would most likely work out cheaper if you are a fiend for it.

Also: buy adult content? This is what the internet is for!

I doubt that VOD will be a replacement for DVDs or BDs.  I like owning my favorite movies on a physical media with all the trimmings and I bet a lot of people like that too.  However it can stand to compete with video rentals, people are lazy and would rather not go out of the house if they can push some buttons to get entertainment and some jenna jameson on the side for those that are not internet savvy.

Around the Network

Damn! Thats a lot of memory for a console!

TO GOD BE THE GLORY

This is something that the Xbox 360 will never have unfortunatly.

Jo21 said:
afree_account said:
Username2324 said:
drpunk said:
Can PS3 read 16 layers?

With a firmware update yes, however, it would take an extremely long time to load 400GB with the PS3 drive, and I don't think people want 100GB installs, so it is extremely unlikely you'll see anything using more than 2 layers.

No it can't.

Firmware can't compensate for missing hardware.

hitachi managed to get 200gb 4 50gb layered disc to work on currect drives, with just firmwares update.

of course that depends on the method used, some require a lens modification

No they didn't !

It was just a 100 GB 4 layer disc run on a prototype. They claim you "might" just need a firmware update,

but thats ridiculous, cause Hitachi can't speak for every BD Manufacturer in the world.

That was 1 year ago, btw. with no new news about the progress, they might have just failed.

Another aspect:

This news came just after the announcement of the 51 gb HDDVD. I guess Hitachi / BR group went just into damage control and just presented something half-baked.

But now that HDDVD is dead -> official vapor ware.

swearitsoul said:
This is something that the Xbox 360 ps3 will never have unfortunatly.

fixed

Around the Network
afree_account said:
Jo21 said:
afree_account said:
Username2324 said:
drpunk said:
Can PS3 read 16 layers?

With a firmware update yes, however, it would take an extremely long time to load 400GB with the PS3 drive, and I don't think people want 100GB installs, so it is extremely unlikely you'll see anything using more than 2 layers.

No it can't.

Firmware can't compensate for missing hardware.

hitachi managed to get 200gb 4 50gb layered disc to work on currect drives, with just firmwares update.

of course that depends on the method used, some require a lens modification

No they didn't !

It was just a 100 GB 4 layer disc run on a prototype. They claim you "might" just need a firmware update,

but thats ridiculous, cause Hitachi can't speak for every BD Manufacturer in the world.

That was 1 year ago, btw. with no new news about the progress, they might have just failed.

Another aspect:

This news came just after the announcement of the 51 gb HDDVD. I guess Hitachi / BR group went just into damage control and just presented something half-baked.

1) things take a while from concept/prototype to production.  so both the hddvd and bluray bigger disks wouldnt be out yet, nor should they be for a bit.  manufacturing costs money you know.

2)the hddvd disk would have needed new lasers and toshiba would not have isolated any customers at that time.

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.

code.samurai said:
Gnac said:
code.samurai said:
Gnac said:
Marty8370 said:
Gnac said:
Marty8370 said:

Your way off, Blu-ray will fast  become the replacement for DVD's. Blu-ray's are becoming more affordable as they hit mass production. More they sell,cheaper Blu-ray will become. Blu-ray is already getting costs down too near DVD production costs.

Holographic disc and HDV are atleast 5 or 6 years off becoming affordable, by the time they do Blu-ray will have hold of the majority of the Hi Def market.

More like Video on Demand will have it. Physical media is old hat.

Internet connections need too be a loads faster & more affordable for that too happen. When ya can download 25Gb/50Gb Hi Def in around 30 - 60 mins, maybe Physical media will be seen as old hat. Until then Blu-ray is the only Hi Def media solution.

Streaming HD video on demand services are already available via cable. It's quite different from downloading via PC. The cable connection often comes as part of the package too, so it's affordable!

Yes, but what if you want to watch again? And again?  From what I've seen with VOD is that the cable companies only lease you the videos and there are playback limits, you won't even have a copy stored on your set top box it's all in their servers.  And adult content are considered bought once you preview them, haha.

There are pay-as-you-go and contract plans. The first lets you "rent" a series for something paltry like £4, and watch it as many times as you like for a week. The contract imposes no limits, and would most likely work out cheaper if you are a fiend for it.

Also: buy adult content? This is what the internet is for!

I doubt that VOD will be a replacement for DVDs or BDs.  I like owning my favorite movies on a physical media with all the trimmings and I bet a lot of people like that too.  However it can stand to compete with video rentals, people are lazy and would rather not go out of the house if they can push some buttons to get entertainment and some jenna jameson on the side for those that are not internet savvy.

A lot of people perfer their music on vinyl too....

I don't understand why anybody is complaining. More storage space = more possibilities = potential for improvement. I kind of like the idea of being able to cram several television series into a single frakin' disc.

soccerdrew17 said:
afree_account said:

No they didn't !

Another aspect:

1) things take a while from concept/prototype to production.  so both the hddvd and bluray bigger disks wouldnt be out yet, nor should they be for a bit.  manufacturing costs money you know.

2)the hddvd disk would have needed new lasers and toshiba would not have isolated any customers at that time.

Good points, but considering they claimed it's just a firmware update and they don't have to manufacture a whole new drive, it's taking alot of time! On some news sites (remember no official press release) they were cited ""it works" we are just stabilizing the readout signal", even though thats the most crucial part.

I couldn't find any sources regarding the new laser needed for the 51 gb hd dvd.

Toshiba and everyone else were "unsure" if it would work with existing hardware, even after it was finalized by the dvd forum.

IMO a rebuy would have been neccesary, but the same applies to the 4 layer BD.

To use more layers you need in general sufficient laserpower and the pick-ups must be sensitiv enough.

Hitachi claiming all bd-players meet the requirements is probably a deception of the customer.

It's like overclocking, it might work or it might not, so the isolation point is going to apply to bd too.