By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Official LBP Thread

Ooh, official LBP thread.

Coolio.

I should bookmark this bad boy.

Around the Network

Munkeh111, I have tried to make a level in the beta, but I can say it is the best level ever...

tthis is a neat idea, good job theprof00

shaqpack

http://digg.com/gaming_news/LittleBigPlanet_used_to_create_1_600_part_calculator_video

LITTLE BIG PLANET IS HUGE confirmed

the digg got over 1500 in less than 24 hours and the video have almost 400,000 views in 6 days!!!

Around the Network
SHMUPGurus said:

Indeed. Since I've seen Torillian's post about a certain way to make Sackboy fly with a gun and stuff, I'll definitely try to create a little SHMUP game on my own (maybe a series!). I'll mix a few things from R-Type, Gradius, Radiant Silvergun, Donpachi and many more classic shoot 'em ups like enemies, level designs, etc.

It'll be called: The Flying Adventures of Sackboy Omega! xD

*EDIT: Mind changing the ''g'' to ''G?'' It would be appreciated, and yay for massive profile views!

If you would like to use the level then my PSN is Torillian and the level was called Destroy the Space Ninja's Fleet!.  Or something to that regard, just copy the whole level and use whatever you care to.  Or if you'd like I can help ya out.

PSN id: Vagabond7

Now that the beta is over and I've invested a good 24 hours in the past 3 days playing this game, I can say that everyone must purchase it. It's not all good, but it's all pretty amazing.

The level creation has the obvious fault that 90% of the levels suck. And in the beta at least the "rating" method also sucked making it nigh impossible to tell what people enjoyed and what they didn't. Each level has 3 of the most picked descriptions pasted up front, but most of them are neutral, things like "fast" "fiery" "gas", and when you beat a stage they recomend to you a few random descriptions, so most people are not likely to keep hitting "none of the above" to get to what they really think. Also you can "heart" a level if you really like it, but the heart ratios where quite pitiful. Even the best and most popular levels had less than 20% heart to played ratio. This is problem is probably exacerbated by the fact that in order to heart a level, after you beat the stage, select your descriptive term and then return to the stage menu, you have to pull the stage up again, scroll down and select "heart this level". So even if a person likes a stage, there is a good chance they will beat it and move on (I was guilty of this a number of times without even realizing it). So there definately needs to be a better way of giving recognition to the great stages.

The good news: It doesn't matter. Even the bad stages are alot of fun, doubly so if you're playing with other people. Terrible stages that the creator didn't spend five minutes play testing, that are a train wreck of physics, unpredictable rockets, and stupidly hard perils are a blast if you have 3 other sack boys smacking each other, crying, laughing, pasting stickers on things, getting squished, riding poorly built contraptions to their doom, and then beating the hell out of the winner of the stage at the end.

The level editor is more difficult to use than I expected. It's quite complex, and you're often time left frustrated wondering why this thing isn't working like you wanted it to, or like it seems like it should. You will spend hours making even a simple level, and many many hours making something really worth while. If you have some brilliant idea for a level, DON'T TRY TO MAKE IT FIRST. Save it until you've got some practice. Build a practice stage or two, mess around with the various tools, and get used to it. THEN try to make your brilliant stage.

The good part: The creator is sooo elastic it's incredible what some people come up with. I've seen pinball games, shooting ranges, action shooters I've seen gigantic creatures, episodic story based adventures, music video's (The radiohead one is waaay better produced than all the other ones), and more. And best of all it can all be shared. Alot of stages are just sort of concept stages to show off some cool machine, object or idea, and for completing the stage they give it to you and it gets put in your inventory for your own use. When the full game is released rather than just the beta and it's sold at retail, the explosion of creativity will be incredible to see.

All and all, the game isn't without it's faults, but it is a ton of fun to play, usually relaxing and cathartic to just go through one player made stage after another, and hopefully it will have a community large and creative enough to keep it going for years to come. I highly recommend everyone with a PS3 get this game. I'm not sure I'd buy a console for this game alone, but it's a must have for everyone that's already put the money down on a PS3.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

I agree the game isnt perfect, but it is dam good, and I am certain what I come up with will be about 1m times worse than what most people seem to be making...

makingmusic476 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
We can have WEEKLY VG Chartz update charts as well.

Look we should get in touch with ioi about this....ask him for ideas on how he would like OFFICIAL VG Chartz levels each week...full with the Sales figures

Me and a couple of guys were planning to make an official VGChartz level come release, but when they annnounced that the  online co-op Creation mode wouldn't be available right at launch, it got put on hold for awhile.

Cool....we can delay that plan until LBP Co-Op comes out.....as we don't want one person to have the whole burden...but I think it would be a "neat" way to RELEASE SALES numbers WEEKLY on LBP for the community

also we can use ideas that SONY themselves used in their E3 "sales" presentation....instead of doing a powerpoint....we can show console marketshares, sales, percentage increases, graphs in cool ways.

We can theme these levels when BIG releases are there.....there are SO many possibilities....!

If everyone can get involved on Vg chartz (Ps3 guys) & contribute to this....it may even help spread the name of VG Chartz among the PS3 users on LBP.

{ok I may be getting over-excited at the possibilities}

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

add southpawHokieVT

I'll juggle this with Motorstorm 2, Resistance 2, Far Cry 2, and...school.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering
if they've made a difference. The Marines don't
have that problem." -President Ronald Reagan

PSN: southpawHokieVT