By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Starcraft II campaign split into 3 separate SKU's!

vlad321 said:
shio said:
To all the doubters and idiots: http://www.wegame.com/watch/Starcraft_2_Trilogy_Announcement/

Now watch it and weep, because I'll be getting all 3 campaigns.

Really, some people buy Mass Effect, a disappointing RPG that is only 10-15h and has NO multiplayer, and think it's a great game.
Some people buy Halo 3, which has a crappy singleplayer and dumbed down multiplayer, and think it's a great game. Etc...

Just look at people what Blizzard fans decided in the video, 99% of them preferred to have 3 seperate EPIC campaigns.

Oh man, I'm bawling my eyes out, shio decided to get all 3 SC2 games....

How is this showing us ANYTHING we haven't already researched throughouly? In fact I watched another very similar video before I started going off in this discussion.  Insulting other games is also not the way to go, most people here are actually SC fans who are disappointed. In fact, there have been very few people trolling and flaming other games, except you of course. This is what I'd call a troll post and full of fail.

Dude, what don't you understand? There's only going to be one Starcraft 2. The other two are expansions, you know, exactly like Relic did with Dawn of War (and no one complained about). Blizzard did NOT cut content from SC2, they just replaced it.

What Blizzard stated was that each campaign is going to be so Epic that it will rival full games like Mass Effect, Gears of War 2, FFXIII or Fable 2. I seriously don't understand why you are against Blizzard on this.

Blizzard initially wanted to fit 3 small campaigns into Starcraft 2, but the writer (can't remember his name) wrote huge, epic stories instead of small ones. Really, anyone who is interested in great stories should be happy about Blizzard's decision, because then the main writer can spread his wings, and when one of the best story makers in the videogaming industry has that kind of liberty, he will most likely shine through all.

And I seriously doubt that many people here even played the original Starcraft given the fact that less than 7% have PC as main platform. And I think pure Blizzard fans that attended Blizzcon are more credible.

Around the Network
SeriousWB said:
BenKenobi88 said:
I think this is a bit of an overreaction.

Maybe they wanted players to be able to buy only the campaigns they wanted to play? If it all adds up to $50, I don't think there's really a reason for complaint, other than the stupidity of buying 3 discs.

So for someone to say they're going to buy the first $15 disc and pirate the rest...that's stupid. You're basically saying you were going to pay $50 for Starcraft II, but since they put it on three separate discs adding up to $50, you decide you'll just pay $15? That logic really doesn't add up.

Unless of course it ends up being more than $50, in which case Blizzard made a boo-boo.

I can't see how it won't end up costing more than $50. Every version will have a single player campaign + full multiplayer, if you want to buy more campaigns, you will also be buying the full MP again.

If they had just released the other versions as expansion backs, SP only, I would be fine. As then I'd know for sure the last two would be expansion pack priced. I can't see anything here that puts the three adding up to $50 likely. I'm also worried about when the Zerg and Protoss versions will be released.

What are you talking about? There is only one Starcraft 2, the other two are expansions and are going to be priced lower, probably around $30 each ($40 atmost). You won't be buying the MP again....

Another thing, Blizzard is going to make each campaign be huge Epics that will rival full games like Mass Effect, Gears of War 2, Fable 2 or FFXIII. So would you rather buy a full game around $60, or an expansion that will give a better experience for half the price??

Again, they have NOT cut content from the original version, they merely replaced it.

shio said:
vlad321 said:
shio said:
To all the doubters and idiots: http://www.wegame.com/watch/Starcraft_2_Trilogy_Announcement/

Really, some people buy Mass Effect, a disappointing RPG that is only 10-15h and has NO multiplayer, and think it's a great game.
Some people buy Halo 3, which has a crappy singleplayer and dumbed down multiplayer, and think it's a great game. Etc...

Just look at people what Blizzard fans decided in the video, 99% of them preferred to have 3 seperate EPIC campaigns.

How is this showing us ANYTHING we haven't already researched throughouly? In fact I watched another very similar video before I started going off in this discussion.  Insulting other games is also not the way to go, most people here are actually SC fans who are disappointed. In fact, there have been very few people trolling and flaming other games, except you of course. This is what I'd call a troll post and full of fail.

Dude, what don't you understand? There's only going to be one Starcraft 2. The other two are expansions, you know, exactly like Relic did with Dawn of War (and no one complained about). Blizzard did NOT cut content from SC2, they just replaced it.

Wrong.

DoW, the first game has a full singleplayer and the full multiplayer.  If you were to buy WA on it's own, you wouldn't be able to play, as it doesn't have the full multiplayer on it. This is one of the reasons it can be priced as an expansion pack.

With SCII, 'all' three versions will have the full multiplayer along with a singleplayer campaign. Please explain your logic as to how the first will be more expensive when they all contain the same thing. Full SP + Full MP.

shio said:
vlad321 said:
shio said:

What Blizzard stated was that each campaign is going to be so Epic that it will rival full games like Mass Effect, Gears of War 2, FFXIII or Fable 2. I seriously don't understand why you are against Blizzard on this.

Blizzard initially wanted to fit 3 small campaigns into Starcraft 2, but the writer (can't remember his name) wrote huge, epic stories instead of small ones. Really, anyone who is interested in great stories should be happy about Blizzard's decision, because then the main writer can spread his wings, and when one of the best story makers in the videogaming industry has that kind of liberty, he will most likely shine through all.

And I seriously doubt that many people here even played the original Starcraft given the fact that less than 7% have PC as main platform. And I think pure Blizzard fans that attended Blizzcon are more credible.

Alright here we go a decent discussion.

Dawn of War had more than one campaign for their factions, thier SC2 will have ONE campaign, no more. Thus you can't really compare the two at all, no matter how big the SC2 individual campaigns are. furthermore, Blizzard has not compared their game to ANY of the ones you mentioned. I'm probably Blizzard's #1 fan, going back since I was like 5, but no matter how much I like them doesn't overshadow the fact that what they are trying to pull has abou 90% chance of being pure bullshit (Only because we don't know al the details).

I believe his name is Chris Metzen, could be one of the other ones though. I'm all up for huge epic stories, but making them huge and epic and spending 30 missions on one race is TOO much. I like interwined stories, not just one point of view type of stories, which from everything I've seen is what these will be like. I felt that WC3 and SC1 stories were epic enough, sure I wouldn't mind more, but not once have I ever thought "This wasn't epic enough, it needs more awesome in it."

Just because the main gaming platform isn't PC it doesn't mean they haven't played Starcraft 1. Even if that was true 7% of the members of VGC is still a HUGE amount.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

SeriousWB said:
shio said:
vlad321 said:
shio said:

Wrong.

DoW, the first game has a full singleplayer and the full multiplayer.  If you were to buy WA on it's own, you wouldn't be able to play, as it doesn't have the full multiplayer on it. This is one of the reasons it can be priced as an expansion pack.

With SCII, 'all' three versions will have the full multiplayer along with a singleplayer campaign. Please explain your logic as to how the first will be more expensive when they all contain the same thing. Full SP + Full MP.

Sounds great and all but this paragraph really makes me doubt this:

"Wings of Liberty, the game's first campaign, will be shipping with a full and complete multiplayer suite with all three races available. The subsequent titles will add campaigns for the Zerg and Protoss races and both will carry additions for the multiplayer portion. While no price point has been set yet, Browder stated that if the follow-up games feel like full-featured games, they'll be priced accordingly. If they don't they'll probably be priced around the average expansion pack price. "We usually don't think about price points until we're relatively close to shipping," Browder said. Whatever the price is, though, we want the fans to feel like they've gotten their money's worth.""

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Around the Network
SeriousWB said:
shio said:

Wrong.

Starcraft 2 will have FULL Multiplayer. I can't imagine why you even thought otherwise. And again, there aren't 3 versions of SC2, only one because the other two are expansions.

vlad321 said:
shio said:

Dawn of War had more than one campaign for their factions, thier SC2 will have ONE campaign, no more. Thus you can't really compare the two at all, no matter how big the SC2 individual campaigns are. furthermore, Blizzard has not compared their game to ANY of the ones you mentioned. I'm probably Blizzard's #1 fan, going back since I was like 5, but no matter how much I like them doesn't overshadow the fact that what they are trying to pull has abou 90% chance of being pure bullshit (Only because we don't know al the details).

I believe his name is Chris Metzen, could be one of the other ones though. I'm all up for huge epic stories, but making them huge and epic and spending 30 missions on one race is TOO much. I like interwined stories, not just one point of view type of stories, which from everything I've seen is what these will be like. I felt that WC3 and SC1 stories were epic enough, sure I wouldn't mind more, but not once have I ever thought "This wasn't epic enough, it needs more awesome in it."

Just because the main gaming platform isn't PC it doesn't mean they haven't played Starcraft 1. Even if that was true 7% of the members of VGC is still a HUGE amount.

No, Dawn of War only had a campaign for the Space Marines(the other factions had none), and it was barely bigger than a single SC1 campaign, let alone all 3 combined. I have 2 copies of Dawn of War + 2 expansions, so I know what I'm talking about.

Blizzard has compared each campaign of SC2 Trilogy with FULL games, which is what Mass Effect, Fable 2 and FFXIII are. And if we were to take what they said as facts (like each campaign being 3x-4x times bigger than a SC1 campaign) then each SC2 Campaign will be bigger than Mass Effect atleast.

What I'm worried about is that each campaign comes to the same conclusion. Which basically means each campaign is retreading old ground.

I would much rather have them create the traditional SC campaigns. ~10 missions for each race. Fit as much of that grand story you have into the first game. Then the expansion would continue the story. And guess what? You wouldn't know what's going to happen for the expansion. And if it's called for and your story is so epic it couldn't be told in a game + expansion, release another expansion.

I think I'm the only one not hating this idea T_T I love Starcraft too much to ever hate it, though I'd probably only buy Terran and Protoss >_> Zerg can suck it. Anyway I love this game and I think if it ended up costing a million I'd end up rigging the lottery just to buy the game =\

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

shio said:
SeriousWB said:
shio said:

Wrong.

Starcraft 2 will have FULL Multiplayer. I can't imagine why you even thought otherwise. And again, there aren't 3 versions of SC2, only one because the other two are expansions.

vlad321 said:
shio said:

No, Dawn of War only had a campaign for the Space Marines(the other factions had none), and it was barely bigger than a single SC1 campaign, let alone all 3 combined. I have 2 copies of Dawn of War + 2 expansions, so I know what I'm talking about.

Blizzard has compared each campaign of SC2 Trilogy with FULL games, which is what Mass Effect, Fable 2 and FFXIII are. And if we were to take what they said as facts (like each campaign being 3x-4x times bigger than a SC1 campaign) then each SC2 Campaign will be bigger than Mass Effect atleast.

Then let's compare it to WoW, even without the expansions. There is 0% chance it will be as massive as that, and I mean WoW is a FULL game too.

@bobobologna

That's another worry of mine too.

You don't seem to grasp that Blizzard has at least strongly implied that they are going to release each campaign as a different version of SCII - probably at full price and each with multiplayer. This is what everyone is reacting angrily to.

There is a possibility that this is just a PR fuckup and that there is only one SCII and two expansions but that isn't what their initial press release implied.