By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Starcraft II campaign split into 3 separate SKU's!

@shio

It's a relief that I can play online as the Zerg starting with the Terran campaign disc. However, if each subsequent release contains additional online content I will surely want all three discs. If the combined cost is considerably higher than having an abbreviated single-player experience then I will still be displeased with this development.

Around the Network

One thing people are also forgetting with this is that the campaigns teach you how to play the game.

How the crap am I supposed to learn how to use the Zerg and Protoss if I can't play their campaigns? Play against the people that have already finished and gotten good with the Terran campaign?

I guess I could just experiment around against the computer but the campaigns in games like that have just always been a great way to learn that race.  Terran players will have a huge advantage until the Zerg campaign is released and then it's only going to suck to be Protoss players.

i think this is the polar opposite of Valve and the release of The Orange Box, lol

Punisher said:
@shio

You just won't get it.

Like bouzane said:

"Even if each SKU is reasonably priced this still means that I may have to wait an additional period of time to play as the Zerg again which sucks."

I find it illogical that Starcraft II is being divided into three SKU's based upon single-player content when the original was clearly focused on multi-player. This has cash grab written all over it"

This is the reason why i also don't like this thing Blizzard is doing.

I want to play all those three factions out-of-the-box.

Not everyone is like you who only like playing Terrans and online.

Well that's you. I just want the single-player to be as great as possible, and Blizzard's decision is one I support because I think it's the better way to achieve a better result.

Also, having the 3 campaigns in SC2 from the get go doesn't mean it's bigger, because they would have to cut alot from them. Which means, that even though you would be able to play Zerg's campaign earlier, it would only 3-4 times smaller than the way Blizzard is doing now.

So for bouzane: Would you rather have a Zerg campaign 3-4 times smaller but can play earlier, or wait a bit more and have a campaign 4 times bigger (and likely better)?

Punisher said:

"I support Blizzard's decision because I want Big Epic Masterpiece campaigns, and the only to get it is by doing the way Blizzard is doing now.

Remember Starcraft 1 and it's cliff hangerish ending? Well, with the way Blizzard is doing it won't happen, and they will have enough time to make it as awesome as possible. The fact that each SC2 campaign will be 3-to-4 times bigger than SC1 campaigns is also a plus."

How do you know that it will be "BIG Epic Masterpiece", not just same type of missions for every faction ? Have you already played all the factions in it ? (Even though game isn't even out yet)

There is only one developer that I fully trust their PR statements, and that is Blizzard. They have never failed on me. If they say each SC2 campaign will be 3-4 times bigger and epic I believe them.

Punisher said:

Like vlad321 said:

"Wings of Liberty, the game's first campaign, will be shipping with a full and complete multiplayer suite with all three races available."

Good till that, but:

"The subsequent titles will add campaigns for the Zerg and Protoss races and both will carry additions for the multiplayer portion."

"will carry additions for the multiplayer portion"

Is what worries me. There won't be full multiplayer experience, if you only buy Terran campaign.

Where's the problem? Expansions do that all the time. Blizzard isn't cutting multiplayer content from the main game, they are instead adding more content in the expansions. No PC gamer has problems with this.

Blizzard will likely add a few units, Battle.net features, new modes, etc... Anyone interested in a improved online experience will buy the expansions, so I don't see where's the problem. I would seriously be pissed off if Blizzard didn't improve the multiplayer in the expansions.

Punisher said:

"While no price point has been set yet, Browder stated that if the follow-up games feel like full-featured games, they'll be priced accordingly. If they don't they'll probably be priced around the average expansion pack price."

"If the follow-up games feel like full-featured games, they'll be priced accordingly"

Yep, yep

"Whatever the price is, though, we want the fans to feel like they've gotten their money's worth."

In other words, we will mik you, like we have done with WoW. (Have they at any point lowered their monthly cost to play it ?)

http://www.destructoid.com/in-the-future-battle-net-will-cost-money-107378.phtml

They are just getting more greedy as days go by.

"WoW Game: $19.99
Burning Crusade Expansion: $30-40

1 Month - $14.99
3 Months (prepaid) - $13.99/month = $41.97
6 Months (prepaid) - $12.99/month = $77.94

Prepaid Game Card (60-days) - $29.99)"

So it's at least 12,99 dollars per month/per subscriber

Multiple that with 11 million per MONTH

They "only" make 1.714.680.000 dollars per year from subscriptions only

If it the expansions feel like full games, then I definitely wouldn't mind pay $10 more for it. Blizzard is that great, and it's not like they're selling their games at $70 (which many console games do).

Battle.net will have a subscription, and I don't care about it. So what your point? We've already known about it for like a year. Blizzard will probably add some features like "pay $15 per month, play all Battle.net games", "avatar customization", etc... Blizzard will never sell in-game items that will unbalance their games, they've said it themselves.

Also, it's funny you mention WoW, because WoW has by far the biggest value for a subscription-based game. It's content beats other MMOs by the dozens. Blizzard keeps adding content and content, tweaking, optimizing, etc... Infact I would say that it was the quality of the game that made it so popular and successful.

@twesterm: Now that's a valid complaint. They need to atleast make some sort of tutorial for the other 2 factions.

@shio

I would rather a shorter campaign if it would equate to an earlier release date and/or cheaper price. I'm concerned almost entirely with the multi-player portion as you can undoubtedly tell.

Around the Network

@ shio
Me trolling? Honestly? The only thing I heav heard out of you is a variation of this:
"each campaign will be bigger then SC1" and that is your response to EVERY argument people have presented you with.

How is their idea different than say having 10 missions from each race in each game, instead of having 30 per release but for only 1 race race? Why can't they just give us all the 3 races right off the bat? In the end it won't matter how epic the story is, it will still be 90 missions, but at least you'd be able to play all 3 in every release, and just maybe get some really badass intertwining of stories. Just have each release continue from where the last left-off. Pricing should still be $15-25 for each and no more.

twetrm also brought up a very good point. Single-player was your tutorial to multiplayer. If we get to play as only terrans then we have to suffer being destroyed online until we pick up the other races? Bullshit idea.

dgm6780 also brings up a GREAT point. We got 3 of the best games ever conceived in one package for $50 bucks, released at the same time. Why should Blizzard do the exact opposite?

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

vlad321 said:
SeriousWB said:
shio said:
vlad321 said:
shio said:
To all the doubters and idiots: http://www.wegame.com/watch/Starcraft_2_Trilogy_Announcement/

Now watch it and weep, because I'll be getting all 3 campaigns.

Really, some people buy Mass Effect, a disappointing RPG that is only 10-15h and has NO multiplayer, and think it's a great game.
Some people buy Halo 3, which has a crappy singleplayer and dumbed down multiplayer, and think it's a great game. Etc...

Just look at people what Blizzard fans decided in the video, 99% of them preferred to have 3 seperate EPIC campaigns.

Oh man, I'm bawling my eyes out, shio decided to get all 3 SC2 games....

How is this showing us ANYTHING we haven't already researched throughouly? In fact I watched another very similar video before I started going off in this discussion.  Insulting other games is also not the way to go, most people here are actually SC fans who are disappointed. In fact, there have been very few people trolling and flaming other games, except you of course. This is what I'd call a troll post and full of fail.

Dude, what don't you understand? There's only going to be one Starcraft 2. The other two are expansions, you know, exactly like Relic did with Dawn of War (and no one complained about). Blizzard did NOT cut content from SC2, they just replaced it.

Wrong.

DoW, the first game has a full singleplayer and the full multiplayer.  If you were to buy WA on it's own, you wouldn't be able to play, as it doesn't have the full multiplayer on it. This is one of the reasons it can be priced as an expansion pack.

With SCII, 'all' three versions will have the full multiplayer along with a singleplayer campaign. Please explain your logic as to how the first will be more expensive when they all contain the same thing. Full SP + Full MP.

Sounds great and all but this paragraph really makes me doubt this:

"Wings of Liberty, the game's first campaign, will be shipping with a full and complete multiplayer suite with all three races available. The subsequent titles will add campaigns for the Zerg and Protoss races and both will carry additions for the multiplayer portion. While no price point has been set yet, Browder stated that if the follow-up games feel like full-featured games, they'll be priced accordingly. If they don't they'll probably be priced around the average expansion pack price. "We usually don't think about price points until we're relatively close to shipping," Browder said. Whatever the price is, though, we want the fans to feel like they've gotten their money's worth.""

Hopefully, the "changes and upgrades" will simply be patches that will also become available to people who only bought the Terran campaign.  This would basically eliminate the complaints about multiplayer, except for twesterm's argument that non-Terrans will be handicapped by not having a campaign to practice on.  (I think that the online plays so differently from the campaign that the problem will not be too hard to overcome, but it's a legitimate gripe.)

Having to pay for three separate campaigns will be terrible, yes.  But I'll do it if my above speculation is accurate, because it's StarCraft, it's worth it, and I "kinda have to".  

AS LONG AS BATTLE.NET STAYS FREE, FUCKERS.  

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Final-Fan said:
vlad321 said:
SeriousWB said:
shio said:
vlad321 said:
shio said:
To all the doubters and idiots: http://www.wegame.com/watch/Starcraft_2_Trilogy_Announcement/

Now watch it and weep, because I'll be getting all 3 campaigns.

Really, some people buy Mass Effect, a disappointing RPG that is only 10-15h and has NO multiplayer, and think it's a great game.
Some people buy Halo 3, which has a crappy singleplayer and dumbed down multiplayer, and think it's a great game. Etc...

Just look at people what Blizzard fans decided in the video, 99% of them preferred to have 3 seperate EPIC campaigns.

Oh man, I'm bawling my eyes out, shio decided to get all 3 SC2 games....

How is this showing us ANYTHING we haven't already researched throughouly? In fact I watched another very similar video before I started going off in this discussion.  Insulting other games is also not the way to go, most people here are actually SC fans who are disappointed. In fact, there have been very few people trolling and flaming other games, except you of course. This is what I'd call a troll post and full of fail.

Dude, what don't you understand? There's only going to be one Starcraft 2. The other two are expansions, you know, exactly like Relic did with Dawn of War (and no one complained about). Blizzard did NOT cut content from SC2, they just replaced it.

Wrong.

DoW, the first game has a full singleplayer and the full multiplayer.  If you were to buy WA on it's own, you wouldn't be able to play, as it doesn't have the full multiplayer on it. This is one of the reasons it can be priced as an expansion pack.

With SCII, 'all' three versions will have the full multiplayer along with a singleplayer campaign. Please explain your logic as to how the first will be more expensive when they all contain the same thing. Full SP + Full MP.

Sounds great and all but this paragraph really makes me doubt this:

"Wings of Liberty, the game's first campaign, will be shipping with a full and complete multiplayer suite with all three races available. The subsequent titles will add campaigns for the Zerg and Protoss races and both will carry additions for the multiplayer portion. While no price point has been set yet, Browder stated that if the follow-up games feel like full-featured games, they'll be priced accordingly. If they don't they'll probably be priced around the average expansion pack price. "We usually don't think about price points until we're relatively close to shipping," Browder said. Whatever the price is, though, we want the fans to feel like they've gotten their money's worth.""

Hopefully, the "changes and upgrades" will simply be patches that will also become available to people who only bought the Terran campaign.  This would basically eliminate the complaints about multiplayer, except for twesterm's argument that non-Terrans will be handicapped by not having a campaign to practice on.  (I think that the online plays so differently from the campaign that the problem will not be too hard to overcome, but it's a legitimate gripe.)

Having to pay for three separate campaigns will be terrible, yes.  But I'll do it if my above speculation is accurate, because it's StarCraft, it's worth it, and I "kinda have to".  

AS LONG AS BATTLE.NET STAYS FREE, FUCKERS.  

I really hope that they do the patches and stuff, but with Activision there now you never know....

I too will probably buy SC2, since there's something in my head that's saying "you will buy these and that's final," of course unless the gamnes come to a total of about $100+ in which case I will excerices my awesome knowledge of The Pirate Bay to get the. Same goes if they make me pay for B.net.

I still don't see why they can't make starcraft 2 + 2 expansions where they have 10 missions per race per game, instead of sticking 30 missions in each game, but for only 1 race. I want someone to give me a GOOD explanation for this.

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Uhmm, I highly doubt that all 11 Mill. accounts are active. I can believe 5 mil. though are active any given month.

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

Commando said:
Uhmm, I highly doubt that all 11 Mill. accounts are active. I can believe 5 mil. though are active any given month.

What are we talking about now?