By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Wii is not Next-Gen

ManusJustus said:
When we refer to generations, we are speaking about their graphic and processing capabilities. So no, I am not out of line when I say that graphics are important.

Third Generation - 8 bit era
Fourth Generation - 16 bit era
Fifth Generation 32/64 bit era
Sixth Generation - 128 bit era

Dude.. so we are all stuck in the fifth generation?? there are no 128 bit processors....

the ps3 cell is 64 bit...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network
ManusJustus said:
When we refer to generations, we are speaking about their graphic and processing capabilities. So no, I am not out of line when I say that graphics are important.

Since when have we ever referred to generations by power?  I'll answer that for you, never.  Why is 32 and 64 bit in the same gen?  So PS1 had a next gen storage device so that makes it next gen?  What about Neo-Geo or 3DO? 
Gen is nothing a but a simple classification and doesn't really have any meaning.  The genesis competed against the NES and SNES.  How about we just talk about things how they are instead of using stupid classifications to make a fanboy point?

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

johnsobas said:
ManusJustus said:

Since when have we ever referred to generations by power?  I'll answer that for you, never.  Why is 32 and 64 bit in the same gen?  So PS1 had a next gen storage device so that makes it next gen?  What about Neo-Geo or 3DO? 
Gen is nothing a but a simple classification and doesn't really have any meaning.  The genesis competed against the NES and SNES.  How about we just talk about things how they are instead of using stupid classifications to make a fanboy point?

First of all, I'm not making a fanboy point, please refer to post #1.

We (or more accurately video game developers, analysists, etc.) have always refered to generations by power.

ManusJustus said:

Technically, a new generation of any technical device is just the successor to the previous generation that includes some major upgrade, improvement, or overhaul from the previous 'generation'. The Wii is well more than twice as powerful as it's predecessor (if you go based only on clock speeds, your argument is very shallow. Memory architecture, more texture & pixel pipelines, removed bottlenecks, etc, all play a very important role in overall speed), is far more efficient power-wise, included built in WiFi, an improved case design vs it's predecessor. The Wii also revolutionized console controls as we know them. If that's not a jump that justifies it being a 'next gen' compared to it's predecessor, I don't know what is.

I don't see your logic here. Not even remotely.

No i think you have it all wrong! It is clear xbox 360 / PS3 are already last gen, as the PC (the ONLY true next gen platform) is already far beyond the pitiful GPU's in the 360 and PS3.

Crysis is next gen, Killzone 2 MGS4 and Gears 2 are way behind.

Around the Network
NiKKoM said:
ManusJustus said:

Dude.. so we are all stuck in the fifth generation?? there are no 128 bit processors....

the ps3 cell is 64 bit...

128-bit graphics chips.

ManusJustus said:
johnsobas said:
ManusJustus said:

Since when have we ever referred to generations by power? I'll answer that for you, never. Why is 32 and 64 bit in the same gen? So PS1 had a next gen storage device so that makes it next gen? What about Neo-Geo or 3DO?
Gen is nothing a but a simple classification and doesn't really have any meaning. The genesis competed against the NES and SNES. How about we just talk about things how they are instead of using stupid classifications to make a fanboy point?

We (or more accurately video game developers, analysists, etc.) have always refered to generations by power.

No they haven't, developers/analysts consider wii as this gen, there may be a couple that still say wii isn't this gen but they are by far in the minority.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

ManusJustus said:
johnsobas said:
ManusJustus said:

We (or more accurately video game developers, analysists, etc.) have always refered to generations by power.

Why did you fail to answer any of his questions? And more importantly,"we" do not classify generation by power; rather, time frame.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

whoa! when did 2006 come back?

Check out the VGC Crunch this Podcast and Blog at www.tsnetcast.com

ManusJustus said:

JOKE POST CONFIRMED!

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"