By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Wii is not Next-Gen

In other words, graphics are everything.

You fail.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Around the Network

Obviously the Wii isn't a Next Generation console, it is almost 2 years old and we're almost 3 years into the current generation ... the "Next-Generation" begins sometime between 2010 and 2012 when the console manufacturers release their next systems.

Beyond that, even though it is not as technically powerful as the other consoles it is in direct competition with the XBox 360 and PS3 for consumers and developer resources and is (so far) winning because neither the PS3 or XBox 360 are nearly as advanced in terms of a user interface as the Wii is.

Is it 2006 again? I thought "next generation" stopped being a buzzterm around then. Or should have, at least, unless perhaps 2006's "next generation" isn't having the kind of impact people expected.

The "new generation", on the other hand, does seem to be growing quite well. And the Wii's quite happily leading the pack on that.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Wait, wait wait a second! Wii is not as powerful as the ps360?!

OMG, NO WAI :O!!! This is news to me!

Thanks for reminding to change the batteries in my sarcasm meter.

Around the Network

Wii is winning.
Wii Will take this entire generation. (By millions)
Nintendo is making money hand over foot. (it prints money)

And guess what?
It is doing all of this with a slower processor, less ram, and a "smaller" graphics card.

Face it PS360 had there ass's handed to them by "last gen" hardware.
/wrist

Albion - Its Fun as Ballz !!!!!

ManusJustus said:

We can look at the GPU for a comparison of what 'generation' games can be compared to.

Xbox 360: 500 MHz

PS3 : 550 MHz

But the GPUs for the 360 and PS3 (Note that the 360's GPU is better in every way) are really slow compard to PC GPUs from even 2006.  So how are they next gen?  They're woefully out of date and slow.

All of these consoles are from the same generation but the Wii is the only one doing anything interesting.

technically since the most popular system was the 147 MHz processor PS2 and therefore ALL games, ALL Games were most likely designed according to those specs and not specifically the 233 MHz xbox specs then Wii is next gen. According to your figures of course.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

When we refer to generations, we are speaking about their graphic and processing capabilities. So no, I am not out of line when I say that graphics are important.

Third Generation - 8 bit era
Fourth Generation - 16 bit era
Fifth Generation 32/64 bit era
Sixth Generation - 128 bit era