By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Wii is not Next-Gen

Your right, it's new gen, everything after it will be next gen under a new banner, good bye HD Twins, I won't miss either of you.

This thread makes me disgusted that I even own a PS3.

(Jokes stem from truths)

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Around the Network

Wii is a toy just like those kid laptops. THat kiddie bike where you ride to play is next gen.

Repent or be destroyed

^what a sad post.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Soriku said:
I'VE DONE IT! THE TIME MACHINE WORKED! BACK IN 2006, BITCHES!

Oh wait...this is 2008? Dammit.

lenardo1 said:
SEE that is your problem

thinking graphics only

a generation is not graphics

a generation is when the damn console comes out.

the wii, the ps3 and the 360 are all this generation's consoles.

the ps2 gamecube the xbox are all last generation's consoles.

again graphic is not equal to "this gen" next gen last gen etc, it's when the console was made Available for purchase.

why does everyone neglect to mention the dreamcast. that was last gen too you know

Around the Network

Haha cool I come back to VGChartz after like a year and people are still making the same posts.

The Wii has sold more consoles than you have braincells, original poster.

You mean besides the fact that none of the three systems are next gen? They are current gen.

Nice deduction that Wii is not next gen.

::golf clap::

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

ManusJustus said:
When we refer to generations, we are speaking about their graphic and processing capabilities. So no, I am not out of line when I say that graphics are important.

Third Generation - 8 bit era
Fourth Generation - 16 bit era
Fifth Generation 32/64 bit era
Sixth Generation - 128 bit era

Just because all the previous generations of console were close in power, does not mean power is what determines generations.

do you know what the definition of generation is?

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

Wii is not next-gen, is this-gen (Can we please eliminate this "next-gen" phrase from current generation systems, English is my 2nd language and even i can tell that this combination of two words is misused)...

Now, talking about generations, i can go back to the NES, when they started the 3rd gen, we knew it as "The late 8-bit era", then the Genesis and the Super NES led the 4th gen, or "the 16-bit era", then the 5th generation started when the Saturn and the Playstation came out with 32-bit chips and then the N64 came out with a 64-bit processor, does Nintendo skipped a generation??? Hell no. Was everyone saying that the Playstation and Saturn were last-gen??? Hell no...

Now, back to this gen, graphically the PS3 and the 360 are superior than the Wii that's true. But the Wii has the motion controller, the PS3 has it but not at the Wii range, and the 360 doesn't have it at all. PS3 has Blu-Ray, 360 and Wii still use DVDs. Wii has no hard drive, 360 has it but is not mandatory, the PS3 has it mandatory. Everyone of them have online stores and unified networks. Everyone of them have wireless controllers. Two are white and one is black. All of them stand vertically or horizontally. All of them connect cables to the TV... Can you see where i'm going here???

Generations are not measured by graphics, sound, storage, controllers, processors, etc., generations are when the consoles come out...

ManusJustus said:

We can look at the GPU for a comparison of what 'generation' games can be compared to.

Xbox 360: 500 MHz

PS3 : 550 MHz

Wii: 250 MHz

Xbox: 233 MHz

PS2: 147 MHz

Gamecube: 162 MHz

Clearly, Wii doesnt have the graphic capabilities of XBox 360 or Playstation 3, and it barely surpases the graphical capabilities of last generation's graphics leader, XBox.  Wii isn't last gen, but its not this gen either.  Ofcourse, that doesnt take away from the huge success that Nintendo is having with the Wii.

Another thing to point out is that the system with the lowest GPU sells the best, while the system with the highest GPU sells the least (atleast at this moment for this generation).  This would indicate that graphics dont sell consoles, cost sale consoles.

For information's sake, I own an Xbox 360 and a Wii and enjoy them both.

I don't think you own a Wii

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down