By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Does anyone actually believe Sony deserves to do well in Japan?

Flamebait thread

Around the Network
starcraft said:

There is all sorts of complaining about the Xbox 360 beating the Wii and crushing the PS3 in Japan. 

But I want to know why people believe the PS3 should achieve in Japan.  Sony has concentrated almost entirely on cultivating the Western market with their current generation console.

They have done next to nothing to ensure Japanese-preferred content is released, in direct contrast to Microsoft.

So what justification do people use for decrying their performance there?  Sony has their negligence to blame as much as anything else in my opinion.

What's this concept "deserves" that you've introduced in the thread title?  It just invites fanboyism.  It's trolling.  Define it, and tell us how it relates to the concept of profit and whether it has anything to do with simply wanting a company to succeed or fail.

Where is the "complaining" about 360 getting a boost from ToV?  Complaining isn't the right word, and if there has been a wide reaction here, it hasn't been complaining, for the most part.

This would be like me starting a thread wondering about the "complaining" over 360 selling shitty in Japan even though MS dropped the RRoD on everyone.  Oh right, that would be stupid.

So, I guess because MS can out money-hat Sony, or because Sony's strategy is to make games first-party rather than pay for [timed] exclusivity, they don't care about Japan or gamers and don't "deserve" something.  You trolling fanboy.

I think its debatable whether MS has made any extreme efforts to conquer Japan either, their lax work in the beginning of the gen and not to mention the previous gen make them just as undeserving of success in that market imo.

Jordahn said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
colonelstubbs said:
Sony havent done anything wrong. How can they not deserve success?

They did do something wrong. They certainly don't deserve to be successful in Japan when they've chosen profit over gamers.

You need money to make money.  Simple truth.  With your logic, SONY, Microsoft, and Nintendo all do not deserve to do well anywhere since their stockholders are their primary concern... profits...

Microsoft, on purpose, is sacraficing pure profit dollars to bring a cheaper console and a broader library to its customers...at great expense, assuredly.

I agree it might not be fair to Sony, that they can't outspend Microsoft, but it's hard to really care about Sony's profits, and to use those as an excuse for them in certain areas(though I think some might be blowing out of proportion how bad I think Sony's doing, I think they aren't really doing poorly at all, just not up to snuff yet in Japan).

Now, SSJ12 has said that Sony has had some really great games in development. That's true. I mean, if WKS was out, this whole topic would be moot, and I would have no argument. However, my argument centers around games already released.

Sony has been touting these big tent-pole titles for quite a while, like LBP, but haven't released a single one. Haze and Lair flopped, admittedly hurtful, but the only real tent-pole title for the PS3 so far has been MGS4.

Compare that to the Wii or the 360, and you can see that the PS3 is still largely selling on future prospects. Now, unlike earlier, it is actually a functional game machine with a diverse library, but the same titles are still being touted for the console that have been over the last 2 years.

I'm not really angry at Sony, nor do I think that flaming them is fair. However, when you ask if it pisses me off when I see them supporting a game like Mag, when they could just as easily be supporting a game like Persona 4, 5, or maybe even Legend of Dragoon 2...yeah it pisses me off. I mean, its fine if they support many, many FPS, but at least give us one good rpg game that we care about in Japan. Not only do they not support those games, the 360 actually does support them avidly at great cost to them, and has helped and paid a ton of money to these companies to get these games on their console, first. That's why I just get pissed when I hear about Sony doing well in Japan. No, I don't think they deserve it, and screw them. Most of you know the reason I got disenchanted with my PS3 in the first place is because I thought it would be like the PS2 with jrpgs, and it wasn't at all. Disgaea 3 is a step in the right direction, and so is WKS.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Loud_Hot_White_Box said:

If they'd chosen profit, they'd have put out a cheap shit machine (cheap=Wii, shit=360).  Yay, profit.

Is MS buying exclusives "choosing" gamers?  I hope you're not saying that.  It's part of a long term profit plan.  And they've gotten their teeth kicked in on most of their puchases, btw.  Blue Dragon says hi.

They created the PS3 to market Blu-Ray players. They also had no idea the Wii would sell like it did. If they did, then your playstation 3 would probably be much more like the Wii than you would want.

Microsoft has taken a pounding buying games that don't necessarily give them great returns.

It might be for a long term profit plan, but in the short term, Microsoft is spending money on 3rd party games(not just exclusives, but things like FFXIII, and GTAIV) on bringing the consumer a better experience. FFXIII, Star Ocean, Tales, IU, those are games that MS didn't need to have to be successful this gen. They even gave their hardware several huge price cuts, which will cost them profit most likely, as well. All of these things are good for the consumer.

Meanwhile, Sony refuses to spend money on 3rd party exclusives. They blame profit, like the consumer is supposed to use that as an excuse as to why the other consumers are being treated better, paying less, and getting better games.

So, yeah, MS is spending that money to increase its brand name and company image in the eyes of consumers. That's a good thing for consumers, right? Blaming profit for below average performance, isn't. That's not something we should care about. You imply that MS is just being good to its consumers in the short term, and eventually they will not be good to us, like Sony is now, once they are a position to hold their brand name over us. Well even if that's true, I'd rather have some pandering to my needs than none at all.

Believe it or not, companies have different gameplans when it comes to customer support. Not all of them completely forget about it when they have the power to.

Let's get this clear. No game company has ever sacraficed profit simply to please its customers before Microsoft came along. Is this a correct statement?

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network

It's their homeland. That alone means that Sony deserves to do well.

I see that in the wake of this small and (in the big picture) rather pointless win for the 360 in Japan Starcraft has gone on a rampage of subtle flamebait/trolling threads.

Its interesting how if you're clever enough to use the English language correctly to a moderate extent you can easily get away with trolling/flamebait on this site. It seems like I could form a satirical thread destroying a console and I would get away with it, just because so few people would understand it. I mean, look at how many people fall for Rolstoppables threads (it would be considerably more if people didn't know his history), luckily he's not creating flamebait or trolling threads, where as people like Starcraft are.

As in go buy us some coffee.

http://speedhunters.com

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Jordahn said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
colonelstubbs said:
Sony havent done anything wrong. How can they not deserve success?

They did do something wrong. They certainly don't deserve to be successful in Japan when they've chosen profit over gamers.

You need money to make money.  Simple truth.  With your logic, SONY, Microsoft, and Nintendo all do not deserve to do well anywhere since their stockholders are their primary concern... profits...

Microsoft, on purpose, is sacraficing pure profit dollars to bring a cheaper console and a broader library to its customers...at great expense, assuredly.

I agree it might not be fair to Sony, that they can't outspend Microsoft, but it's hard to really care about Sony's profits, and to use those as an excuse for them in certain areas(though I think some might be blowing out of proportion how bad I think Sony's doing, I think they aren't really doing poorly at all, just not up to snuff yet in Japan).

Now, SSJ12 has said that Sony has had some really great games in development. That's true. I mean, if WKS was out, this whole topic would be moot, and I would have no argument. However, my argument centers around games already released.

Sony has been touting these big tent-pole titles for quite a while, like LBP, but haven't released a single one. Haze and Lair flopped, admittedly hurtful, but the only real tent-pole title for the PS3 so far has been MGS4.

Compare that to the Wii or the 360, and you can see that the PS3 is still largely selling on future prospects. Now, unlike earlier, it is actually a functional game machine with a diverse library, but the same titles are still being touted for the console that have been over the last 2 years.

I'm not really angry at Sony, nor do I think that flaming them is fair. However, when you ask if it pisses me off when I see them supporting a game like Mag, when they could just as easily be supporting a game like Persona 4, 5, or maybe even Legend of Dragoon 2...yeah it pisses me off. I mean, its fine if they support many, many FPS, but at least give us one good rpg game that we care about in Japan. Not only do they not support those games, the 360 actually does support them avidly at great cost to them, and has helped and paid a ton of money to these companies to get these games on their console, first. That's why I just get pissed when I hear about Sony doing well in Japan. No, I don't think they deserve it, and screw them. Most of you know the reason I got disenchanted with my PS3 in the first place is because I thought it would be like the PS2 with jrpgs, and it wasn't at all. Disgaea 3 is a step in the right direction, and so is WKS.

No matter what you rant, SONY choosing profits over gamers (your point no matter how you try to derail things when someone makes a valid rebuttal) is no reason why they do not "deserve" to do well in Japan because all companies (especially public) choose profit above all things.  This thread was flamebait to begin with because no company deserves to do well anywhere.  It's just an asinine trolling statement.  Companies do business to make money.  And that's what they are all doing. 

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

Jordahn said:

No matter what you rant, SONY choosing profits over gamers (your point no matter how you try to derail things when someone makes a valid rebuttal) is no reason why they do not "deserve" to do well in Japan because all companies (especially public) choose profit above all things.  This thread was flamebait to begin with because no company deserves to do well anywhere.  It's just an asinine trolling statement.  Companies do business to make money.  And that's what they are all doing. 

I wasn't ranting. I just gave you my point of view.

Your point of view is ignorant(which isn't an insult, as the mods have informed me, when it refers to you simply not knowing or presenting all relevant data), because it's a generalization, and it's pro Sony biased. Here's why:

Any consumers, even Sony fanboys, recognize that Microsoft is spending a large amount of money on games they don't need to make their console successful. Sony is being tight fisted with their money and not buying 3rd party support. Microsoft has also cut the cost of its hardware. Your excuse is profit and other motives. However, that's still an excuse, and it's simply a means to an end. You blame the means and ignore then end because the end doesn't look good for Sony.

So, instead of arguing that Sony has treated its customers equally, or better when it comes to 3rd party support(that's laughable, which is why you can't and won't argue it), you pretend like they are equal and that nothing Microsoft does matters because they have the same unrelated goal, which you use as an excuse for your companies poor performance at keeping exclusives and acquiring new ones and/or making multiplats from former exclusives.

Yeah, this topic was flamebait, but it had a valid point as well, and you flaming me because of my opinion is just gonna get you owned by that point.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

@ "Zen"

Well my point of view was that no one "deserves to do well."  You either do well or you don't do well.  And when you do "well" is when the deserving happens.  That's why this thread is asanine to begin with because its trolling, and you know it so you had to get you jabs in as well.  ANYONE here can take any of the three console makers and take a handful of its negatives to twist them to claim that the do not "deserve" to do well in a particular region.  Remember, you said "They certainly don't deserve to be successful in Japan when they've chosen profit over gamers."  NO ONE can deny that public companies have to appeal to their stockholders FIRST.  That means profits which applies to ALL public companies INCLUDING Nintendo and Microsoft.

EDIT:

Ok, you want to say that my point is "pro Sony biased."  For me to say "With your logic, SONY, Microsoft, and Nintendo all do not deserve to do well anywhere since their stockholders are their primary concern... profits..." and "...all companies (especially public) choose profit above all things..." equally goes across the board because it's true.  So it cannot be "pro Sony biased."  It's pro-business.

And Microsoft buying 3rd party support can be seen as harmful because if exclusives, gamers who own a PS3 and/or Wii cannot play these games without buying a 360.  That goes for ANY console maker.  Wouldn't it be better for gamers to have multi-platform titles so all can enjoy?  What you're saying is that buying out exclusives and timed exclusives is good for the gamer.  And if SONY is so "tight fisted with their money and not buying 3rd party support," one possible reason is that they are working on new IP's to introduce to the market so you'd have those games PLUS 3rd party support.  That's good for gamers, isn't it?  Do you see your "ANTI Sony bias???"

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.