By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Does anyone actually believe Sony deserves to do well in Japan?

Yes....yes I do.

Around the Network
starcraft said:

There is all sorts of complaining about the Xbox 360 beating the Wii and crushing the PS3 in Japan. 

But I want to know why people believe the PS3 should achieve in Japan.  Sony has concentrated almost entirely on cultivating the Western market with their current generation console.

They have done next to nothing to ensure Japanese-preferred content is released, in direct contrast to Microsoft.

So what justification do people use for decrying their performance there?  Sony has their negligence to blame as much as anything else in my opinion.

The video game industry is just that, an industry established by big corporations to generate jobs, business, and profit; it is not some fan boy wet dream. Where was MICROSOFT when SONY and even more so, NINTENDO was busy expanding the industry to the point where it's at today, to the point where it is stable enough for all three of them to compete and still pull in good profits?........ That should have been the real question. If it were not for MS monopolizing money the XBOX and the 360 would have died a long time ago. 

Dodece said:
@Jordahn

Do you not find it odd that out of all three competitors. Two can manage to satisfy their customers, and make profit for their share holders. While the third can do neither. The reason Sony has failed so terribly in this regard is that they not only loss lead their console down the yellow brick road, but they had it lug a giant Trojan horse behind it all the way. Sony bet on the hardware with no real consideration for software.

Sony is at fault for its own financial situation. They sacrificed their library to move a new format and a new processor. They were well aware this would cost them in three areas. First they would lose on hardware. Second they would lose in market share. Third they had to suspect that would lose some developer support. The only thing they probably did not expect is how badly they would lose in all three.

"Two can manage to satisfy their customers" is highly subject.  Without a doubt from you, "two" is in regards to 360 and Wii.  So one can VALIDLY argue that the PS3 is also satisfying customers since it has been outselling the 360.  Also, SONY's gaming division is making profits and SONY as a whole, just not the PS3 hardware in regards to consoles.  Besides, at some point all console makers were not making profits with their console hardware.  This is by no means is a sign of failure.  Your assumptions lead to an opinionated false perception.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

Oh starcraft. Up to his usual trolling again.

Oh hush. Everyone deserves to do well.

Compeitition is the nectar that keeps the game industry alive.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

ps3 will do better than 360 in japan.

many upcoming titles will also appeal to japanese gamers.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

ZenfoldorVGI said:
colonelstubbs said:
Sony havent done anything wrong. How can they not deserve success?

They did do something wrong. They certainly don't deserve to be successful in Japan when they've chosen profit over gamers.

If they'd chosen profit, they'd have put out a cheap shit machine (cheap=Wii, shit=360).  Yay, profit.

Is MS buying exclusives "choosing" gamers?  I hope you're not saying that.  It's part of a long term profit plan.  And they've gotten their teeth kicked in on most of their puchases, btw.  Blue Dragon says hi.

starcraft ahahahahaha.
this is why people are always saying it's not a war until starcraft says something. I get it now.

Darc Requiem said:
BMaker11 said:
psrock said:

Sony? Success? Japan? These words don't match. I agree with Starcraft on this one. Sony has shown that they are  incapable of fighting or even trying to fight this Generation.

Ms on the other hand, has demonstrated that they would do anything to win no matter the consequences. Yes, MS have more money to burn, But Sony has done nothing in Japan, nothing.

M$? Deserve? Japan?

I have to completely DISAGREE with Starcraft on this one. I don't care what RPGs M$ keeps buying. They rushed a flawed system to the market.....marketed it poorly (otherwise with all those "amazing" RPGs the 360, it would be dominating Japan), and are the true ones who are focused on the west. Why do you think that the bulk of the 360s userbase is in America, and then the numbers are sporadic everywhere else, whereas with the PS3, it's pretty well distributed?

HD Media center is a making it a hit in EU. Western games like FPSs and adventure games make it do equally well in the US. And games like Valkyria Chronicles, Disgaea 3, more to come make it do the numbers it does in Japan. And didn't MGS4 make it sell like 78K one week? Has the 360 ever done that?

It's hard to say Sony has done nothing in Japan and M$ has done everything when the numbers seem to show differently. They must be doing something right if their userbase there is over 2 million, and the 360s is like 670k

Yes because Sony has never rushed an unreliable console to the market or bought exclusives. Oh wait the PS1 and PS2 had hardware reliablity issues and Sony rose to the top of the industry by buying exclusives. It seems I need to hurry my work on the Sony Selective Memory Syndrom vaccine. Its running rampant on the VGChartz boards.

So what has Sony done wrong in Japan with the PS3, though?  Yes yes, companies have similar problems (RRoD is unprecedented, though, sorry).  

All you show is that buying exclusives doesn't mean caring about gamers, whether Sony or MS do it.  It's about profit.

Anyone burned by a PS2 disc drive would have a right to be upset.  RRoD?  same.  

theprof00 said:
starcraft ahahahahaha.
this is why people are always saying it's not a war until starcraft says something. I get it now.

He was quiet for a couple of months.  I liked it.

Which is strange, because I only started posting here because as a reader sitting on the sidelines, almost all of his posts enraged me.