By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 360 is doomed for Distant Third Place

obieslut said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

1. Obieslut, why do you have the avatar of that one guy, whom I hate? Are you his alt account? It would make sense, honestly? Don't lie to me, I can tell.

2. Your OP, I didn't read it, however, I know it was made just to cause controversy. I would ban you.

3. My opinion is different than yours:

Microsoft will end up being 3rd place this gen, and possibly by a large margin. However, it the 360 is still the better console because it has a better library, is cheaper, has custom soundtracks/achievements, and has a better online service. Trophies are no replacement for achievements, they aren't even uniform, or universally required.

I also believe that the 360 will continue to get equal or better 3rd party support due to the ability of the console to move software, and the ease of development. Also, the console is popular within its own country, something that can't be said for the PS3. Next gen, coming off the relative disaster, the PS3, Sony won't have the footing in the market to cruise control to second place, and the Xbox will be in a much better situation, with the Wii in the strongest market stranglehold it has ever had.

The PSPs successor has a chance, assuming Sony doesn't believe this garbage about 10 year PSP life cycle. If it lets the DS2 get a head start on it, it will never compete.

Sony needs to get off their highhorse profit wagon and start delivering the fans of the console what they need, profit be damned. That's why we see Microsoft sniping FFXIII and GTAIV, and having timed exclusives in the way of games like Star Ocean. That's why we see Capcom saying they will no longer make games exclusive to any console, a developer historically pro-playstation. That's why Sony can't win in America, arguably the most important battleground for developer support. The reason Sony can't win anywhere, has less to do with Sony's follies, and more to do with the Wii's great success, but that's another story.

Trying to pretend like your console is covered in roses, when no matter what, it will go down as a folly, and the biggest shift of power in the gaming industry every, is laughable. Not to mention that it has a relatively weak library compared to the Xbox 360, and Socom ain't gonna change that, lol.

Come on bro. Spinning that a price cut is bad, is like saying that Microsoft is stupid for keeping its customers happy, and Sony is smart for milking them with needless technology and profit-mindedness. Sony has always been way more lucky than smart, and this gen, the ball bounced in a different direction. They blew the biggest monopoly in gaming, and didn't even know about it till a few months ago. The brand is injured. Stop playing nurse and keep these crap topics away from my eyes sir. You embarrass yourself.

i would make a big comment on why i think you are wrong on some of your points but i am too tired to care at the moment

Fair enough.  Now what was your excuse for a little while ago when everyone else countered your points and asked if you could provide counterpoints to support your argument?

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network

I think the point is, it's not nice to go around flaming consoles that some people love, just because you have fanboyish tenancies. It hurts other people's feelings, and it's childish, and wrong, not to mention pointless and crude. It does nothing but lower your reputation with the board as a whole and we should all attempt to refrain from doing it, even me, as I have tried very hard to do, even though this thread almost made me cross the line for the first time in a while.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Well this is going to be close and as time goes on I think PS3 will surpass them but not by a lot. The problem is that in others and Japan Microsoft sorta has a bad brand recognition. Price cutting the american 360s and stuff isn't going to help. They have double the 360s in american then PS3s and are still selling more 360s in america then ps3s. But in despite the gap in release dates the PS3 has caught up with 360 in others and 360 will never catch on in japan.

If you're going to make this a world wide numbers game then Xbox is fucked the second PS3s pick up in Japan and if they constantly stay up after a great release (most likely FFXIII) like what happened with the PSP and monster hunter.

thekitchensink said:

Fair enough.  Now what was your excuse for a little while ago when everyone else countered your points and asked if you could provide counterpoints to support your argument?

To be fair, he didn't counter my points either, but the reason I was awarded a response is, I'm pretty good at getting a rise out of Obie.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Ronster316 said:
LOL MATURE said:
Ronster316 said:
remember , sony got to where they are today in the gaming world because of the size of thier pockets (not their talent)............ and thats why microsoft will beat them........ they have BIGGER pockets

most stupid thing ive read all day.

whatever you say sunshine............ sony had nothing till they got in bed with nintendo in 1992 and then cheated on them and made their own system with the hardware and software ideas that they stole......... so what did sony give to the gaming word to begin with that sega or nintendo had not already thought of........ eyetoy? leave it out...... tut tut tut

sony.......... followers

LOL was right Ronster.

You can't prove "no talent" by pointing to other companies that have done basic things first.

You can't prove that a company consistently outselling MS despite desperate price cuts will lose to MS because it has less capital.

Sony: more high quality 1st party games than Nintendo last gen (FAR more than Microsoft), and soon to be this gen.

"Sunshine"...why do you throw shit words like that in?  Does it make you feel like you've scored some kind of point?

Around the Network
thekitchensink said:
obieslut said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

1. Obieslut, why do you have the avatar of that one guy, whom I hate? Are you his alt account? It would make sense, honestly? Don't lie to me, I can tell.

2. Your OP, I didn't read it, however, I know it was made just to cause controversy. I would ban you.

3. My opinion is different than yours:

Microsoft will end up being 3rd place this gen, and possibly by a large margin. However, it the 360 is still the better console because it has a better library, is cheaper, has custom soundtracks/achievements, and has a better online service. Trophies are no replacement for achievements, they aren't even uniform, or universally required.

I also believe that the 360 will continue to get equal or better 3rd party support due to the ability of the console to move software, and the ease of development. Also, the console is popular within its own country, something that can't be said for the PS3. Next gen, coming off the relative disaster, the PS3, Sony won't have the footing in the market to cruise control to second place, and the Xbox will be in a much better situation, with the Wii in the strongest market stranglehold it has ever had.

The PSPs successor has a chance, assuming Sony doesn't believe this garbage about 10 year PSP life cycle. If it lets the DS2 get a head start on it, it will never compete.

Sony needs to get off their highhorse profit wagon and start delivering the fans of the console what they need, profit be damned. That's why we see Microsoft sniping FFXIII and GTAIV, and having timed exclusives in the way of games like Star Ocean. That's why we see Capcom saying they will no longer make games exclusive to any console, a developer historically pro-playstation. That's why Sony can't win in America, arguably the most important battleground for developer support. The reason Sony can't win anywhere, has less to do with Sony's follies, and more to do with the Wii's great success, but that's another story.

Trying to pretend like your console is covered in roses, when no matter what, it will go down as a folly, and the biggest shift of power in the gaming industry every, is laughable. Not to mention that it has a relatively weak library compared to the Xbox 360, and Socom ain't gonna change that, lol.

Come on bro. Spinning that a price cut is bad, is like saying that Microsoft is stupid for keeping its customers happy, and Sony is smart for milking them with needless technology and profit-mindedness. Sony has always been way more lucky than smart, and this gen, the ball bounced in a different direction. They blew the biggest monopoly in gaming, and didn't even know about it till a few months ago. The brand is injured. Stop playing nurse and keep these crap topics away from my eyes sir. You embarrass yourself.

i would make a big comment on why i think you are wrong on some of your points but i am too tired to care at the moment

Fair enough. Now what was your excuse for a little while ago when everyone else countered your points and asked if you could provide counterpoints to support your argument?

nobody has countered my points

ya know my brother inlaw and my daughters friends family only bought the PS3 for blu ray capability it will sell movies but games probably not even if it outsells the 360 worldwide it wont have the game attach rate bluray yes game NO.

Come back around XMAS and will talk about how well the price cut did or didnt do.

COD4 GTA4 GOW2 on a $200.00 console for the kiddies or $400.00????

LOL MATURE said:
NNN2004 said:

US TOP-SELLING HARDWARE - AUGUST 2008
Nintendo DS--518,300
Wii--453,000
PlayStation Portable--253,000
Xbox 360--195,200
PlayStation 3--185,400
PlayStation 2--144,100

this is the NPD numbers .... VG should adjust their numbers.

NPD numbers for USA

America
 VGC Numbers for N. America... pretty close not enough to make a difference

VG put 40k more for the PS3

obieslut said:

nobody has countered my points

Ok, since clearly you have your fanboy-tinted glasses on when reading this thread, I'll lay them out for you.

thekitchensink said:

You've been 'starting to think this is the beginning of the end for microshaft' since the PS3 launched. And we don't even have full-week sales data yet. Nice preemptive damage control there.

Yes, it's the Dreamcast effect.  Because the 360 essentially got nuked out of the console war just by the announcement of the PS3, and Microsoft was forced to go third-party in a matter of months.

By the way, it IS getting a huge redesign--a more friendly software redesign that will make it appeal to many more people.

And LOL at 'price cut=less sales'!

Soriku said:

lol at dropping the price makes it have bad quality. That's like saying because Sony announced many price cuts and models and such in less than 2 years that means the PS3 has little quality.

Nice logic.

mrstickball said:

obieslut said:

Well as you all know the 360 has just had its price cut, with lackluster effect. Microshaft should be really worried now. The 360's sales have not boosted anywhere near to what people were expecting. usualy with a price cut that is well known like this one, the best sales come from like the 1st and 2nd day of sales plus when you factor in that most sales happen in the week end then it is very alarming.

The price drop didn't take full effect until Sunday, the 7th. VGC tracked up till the 6th, and saw decent increases in the 2 days. Lets wait until a full week takes effect before claiming everything.

I dont know about you but i am starting to think that this is the begining of the end for microsoft. Plus with the rumored price-cut in europe i think it will have the what i like to call the dreamcast effect. This is when a price cut makes the value of the product in the consumers eyes go down, making people think it is low quality. to cut it short have a negative impact on the sales. They are dropping the price to quick in europe.

Do you realize this is only the 3rd European cut in 3 years? The Dreamcast cut prices so deep, so quickly, there really isn't any comparison.

I mean the ps3 has been outselling the 360 without any price-cuts, no big software or anything. I am begining to feel worried for microsoft. if they can not outsell the ps3 the week of the BIG price-drop that what hope does it have to outsell it at any other time. By the looks of it rock_on was right. the 360 will never outsell the ps3 ever again.

When did the PS3 start outselling the X360? When it cut it's price. When was the X360 bludgeoning the PS3? Before the PS3 price cut.

this will be even more true when the ps3 still outsells the 360 with a full week of the price cuts. the problem with the 360 is not the price, it is already cheap well it is in europe anyway. it is the demand for the product and the quality of the machine. i dont see the 360 selling much more now to be honest. the 360 needs a new look, a redesign or a gimmik to keep it going.

I'd say the X360 has a very, very good chance at beating the PS3 next week, and, at worst, will sell 150,000 units. This week was 2 days of X360 price cuts in the US, and an abysmal week in JP. By all accounts, the X360 should see an increase of 10,000-15,000 units in JP, and another 20,000 or more in the US. The X360 only has a ~34,000 unit gap between the PS3 and X360. I would think that it's certainly a do-able for it to win next week, according to VGC.

Oh, and it should be noted: In August, VGC still has the PS3 with a 40k lead for the month. If VGC re-adjusted sales, the PS3 may come down by large margins in the US soon (around 10k/wk), which would put the X360 in a very advantageous position to beat the PS3 handily in the US.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Of course, there's also Zen, but you can be forgiven for that one becuase you're tired -_-...

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

"When did the PS3 start outselling the X360? When it cut it's price. When was the X360 bludgeoning the PS3? Before the PS3 price cut."

When has the PS3 outsold the 360 even with more recent 360 price cut and overall huge comparative price discount for 360?  Recently.  Consistently.