By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - American Numbers up

whatever said:
Hyruken said:
Seeing as stores came out yesterday and today saying they have seen increase in 360 sales from 200% to 600% i think it is pretty safe to assume VGChartz is waaaaaay out on this weeks numbers.

Which stores?  Links?

sorry been away, here is a link

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/54673

http://www.actiontrip.com/rei/comments_news.phtml?id=091108_4

So either VGChartz has seriously under counted the 360 numbers (for whatever reason) or Microsoft and the retailers are lying. Think we have to assume it is a VGC problem as i doubt they would issue a news piece like that if it were untrue simply because in 2-4 weeks people will see the figures.

Around the Network
Dianko said:
Reasonable said:
Can someone confirm what days (if any) of reduced price is included in this?

Electronics sell most of their weekly sales on Saturday, with Friday evening contributing well but Monday to Thursday minimal contribution and a little more on Sunday.

Now, if you have an anticipated price cut - i.e. you think most of your potential consumers know about it, then just one Friday/Saturday sales will give you a huge spike.

What I don't know (sitting in Europe) is does this data contain such sales?

If it does contain Friday or Saturday lower price sales then MS need to be worried as that is not enough of a response to bode well for sustained uplift. If not then we won't know effect until next week as really with electronics you need to get the Friday/Saturday sales to see what's really going on.

It does contain it, but electronics selling the most on Saturdays, are you sure thats the same for America. Here, the weekly ads are sent out with the Sunday edition newspapers, so I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of weekly sales in America occur on Sundays. And if that was the case, many people wouldn't have even known about the pricecut that occured on the 5th (a friday) since they wouldn't have gotten the ads advertising the new prices until the 7th (a sunday).

It's definately the case in Europe.  In US that used to be the case, but times may have changed... I don't know.  I did some work for Best Buy & Circuit City around 4 years ago and most sales seemed to occur on Saturday then.  In terms of a price cut it depended upon how soon the market knew - i.e. if news only hit Sunday you'd see the first full weekend sales the following weekend.

Basically people tend to buy electronics Friday afte work to have for weekend or most Saturday to have for Saturday evening/Sunday.  The trend was mainly because of time to shop vs being at work coupled with desire to have time with new toys at weekend.

I'll see if I can dig out some of the day-of-week profiles I saw in US back then.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Expect a sizeable bump this week.

Why? Since advertisements of the price change didnt happen until the 7th the vast majority of consumers were not aware of the price change and in fact most stores didnt even change prices on the displays until Saturday night.

I purchased 2 arcades on Friday at Target and the Target sales clerk wasnt even aware that the prices had changed. Not until he rung up the machines was he aware.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Its critical to note that the Wii is losing ground, with regards to marketshare, given these numbers. If this trend continues over the Holidays (i.e. the price cut has a long duration effect, or MS has another trick up their sleeves on Sept. 25), the Wii may very well begin to slide away from the 50% marketshare it has longed for for so long.

[gets into flameproof suit]

Groucho said:
Its critical to note that the Wii is losing ground, with regards to marketshare, given these numbers. If this trend continues over the Holidays (i.e. the price cut has a long duration effect, or MS has another trick up their sleeves on Sept. 25), the Wii may very well begin to slide away from the 50% marketshare it has longed for for so long.

But this is just not true, at least according to this site. The Wii is now at 47.1%, and before last week it was at 47%. This seems to me like the Wii is gaining marketshare, not losing.

Just kiss the tip.

Around the Network
Arkk said:
Groucho said:

But this is just not true, at least according to this site. The Wii is now at 47.1%, and before last week it was at 47%. This seems to me like the Wii is gaining marketshare, not losing.

Exactly.  Groucho started to use Americas numbers but then switched to worldwide which made him wrong (and confused or misleading).

Anyway, sales for Wii in Americas should go up because the units are being produced.  They are just need being placed in the stores for sale at the rate they are being produced and so the Wii is still sold out in the US.  The units are going to have to be placed for sale in stores at some point.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

Wii was like 200 units short of breaking the record for console sales for August (which the DS broke) and yet some people are saying Wii is losing ground, unbelievable.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Hyruken said:
whatever said:
Hyruken said:
Seeing as stores came out yesterday and today saying they have seen increase in 360 sales from 200% to 600% i think it is pretty safe to assume VGChartz is waaaaaay out on this weeks numbers.

Which stores?  Links?

sorry been away, here is a link

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/54673

http://www.actiontrip.com/rei/comments_news.phtml?id=091108_4

So either VGChartz has seriously under counted the 360 numbers (for whatever reason) or Microsoft and the retailers are lying. Think we have to assume it is a VGC problem as i doubt they would issue a news piece like that if it were untrue simply because in 2-4 weeks people will see the figures.

Looks like i was right then. Nice to see VGChartz admitted their mistake though and corrected the numbers.