By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Prediction: Wii Music will NOT be the next great thing

yushire said:
LOL how will you sell a rhythm game without rhythm at all? You just flail your arms to make notes. Thats not what rhythm games are all about. AND YEAH, I did say rhythm games because thats they are. Rhythm games. Even you call them music games, video games cant generate music...

Im telling this in a practical standpoint not to say about the philosophical standpoint of it like casuals, core, fun, family, competitiveness and all that. Its just simple, Wii Music wasnt a rhythm game so you cant consider it a music game in a video game standpoint. You just flail you arms all around THATS IT...

Have you played the game?

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

Around the Network
NYANKS said:

You have to admit that every other game up to this point requires something of the person playing.  This simply requires waving your arms.  I mean, it's just this side of being non-interactive.  I mean, look out your window and wave your arms while people move outside. It's close to that.  I would expect a good amount of even small children, to be frustrated by their actions having little consequence in the game. 

Waving your arms =/= doing something? And your movements DO effect how the song plays out, it effects the tempo. The people outside aren't going to slow down or speed up in sync with my arm movements. The drum mini-game use buttons, motions, and the balance board for more a specfic set-up.

There's nothing wrong with not being interested in Wii Music or down right disliking it. But trying to justify your dislike by trying to pretend it's devoid of any interaction is simply foolish. You might not find the interaction meaningful to you, and again there's nothing wrong with that.

@ vaio - Yeah we should do a contest together or something when it comes out. My family really don't have plans for Christmas this year so I'll probably have some extra money to burn this holiday season.

mike_intellivision said:
A few thoughts

Sales of this game will top 5M -- 3M Japan, 1M Americas, 1M Others

What is being missed is the cultural differences and marketing differences. This game obviously appeals to different sensibilities and different people than other "games." And that will help it sell.

Also, the fact that it is a music experience without having to hit every note perfectly will help differentiate from the other five music games on the Wii -- DDR, Samba de Amigo, Guitar Hero, Rock Band, Guitar Revolution.

As for NYANKS comment about frustration -- what frustrates people is when songs shut down halfway through GH because they didn't hit the right note enough or didn't know to hit the strum bar. This game will be fun for the pre-tween and the super-senior set.

(IF you don't think there is money in kids music, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/They_Might_Be_Giants -- an alternative rock band that also records for Disney or the career arcs of Lisa Loeb, Dan Zanes, or Laurie Berkner. Children's music is actually much much better than when I was young -- it is real music rather than "John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt).

Mike from Morgantown

I know it will sell but I don't think kids should be so underrated. I mean, yes if something is too hard it can be annoying.  But does you having no consequence in the game make it so much more enriching? I mean, you also feel good when you accomplish SOMETHING.  You gotta know a lot of people are gonna be like "Okay, but what do I do?"

Edit - Well it seems there is some input.  Doesn't change my opinion of the game, but at least I guess it is a game now.

When is this game supposed to be released?

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

The success of Wii Music will depend on how many people there are out there who want to make music, but don't want to actually learn how to play an instrument. And I have this nagging suspicion that quite a few people out there fall into that category. I certainly know a lot of people who enjoy the idea of making music, but can't be bothered to actually take lessons.

And yeah, Guitar Hero is already out there, but you still have to learn how to play that. It's not a huge learning curve, as I understand it, but it's still more than many people will tolerate. There's nothing intuitive about it; if anything, it's less intuitive than DDR, the game that it more or less transplants into keyboard form, since there's nothing natural about hitting colored buttons to play guitar while there is something natural about moving your feet in given directions to dance.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Around the Network
vaio said:
yushire said:
LOL how will you sell a rhythm game without rhythm at all? You just flail your arms to make notes. Thats not what rhythm games are all about. AND YEAH, I did say rhythm games because thats they are. Rhythm games. Even you call them music games, video games cant generate music...

Im telling this in a practical standpoint not to say about the philosophical standpoint of it like casuals, core, fun, family, competitiveness and all that. Its just simple, Wii Music wasnt a rhythm game so you cant consider it a music game in a video game standpoint. You just flail you arms all around THATS IT...

Have you played the game?

Do I have to? You cant tell by watching the vids alone? How will you choose a videogame if its shovelware or not if you dont know by watching alone? BTW how will you simulate a clarinet with just 2 buttons or you can make a perfect notes by just pressing a?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwxSJ1h8OMk

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

@NYANKS

I am not underselling kids, just basing this off an n of 1 (my six-year-old son).

He is starting to play racing games well (Mario Kart). He can solve puzzles in games (Zack & Wiki). He can do some platformers (Kirby). He is an experienced fighter (SSBM/SSBB).

But he could not get through a song on Guitar Hero.

Mike from Morgantown

PS -- Tonight should be interesting. He wants to play Defend Your Castle.

PPS -- Wii Music will have more substance than Happy Family. But that would not be hard.

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

We are giving far too much attention to this crap called a game (or toy or whatever it is meant to be). I wish we would just let it die. I don't want to hear about Wii Music or read about it.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

vaio said:

When is this game supposed to be released?

Amazon.com lists it as Oct. 20th currently, no idea if that's definitive or not.

As for the "Okay, but what do I do?" question. I'd answer it with another question. "What can you do?" Same thing I'd say to someone asking me about Mario Paint.

It's not the great next thing. in fact, I hope it flops, so Nintendo doesn't make another one and makes something good instead.