By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Prediction: Wii Music will NOT be the next great thing

BrainBoxLtd said:
NYANKS said:
It may not flop, and I'm fine with Wii owners wanting an alternative experience in gaming with the Wiimote and how the Wii is supposed to be a revolution, but this game just bothers me. I mean, I don't think it even meets the parameters of a game. There is no point to the game. You don't beat anthing, you don't need to learn any controls, and there is no challenge (from what people have said.) Isn't that like playing air guitar, except it costs money?

Fairly certain the point to any game is for it to be entertaining. Not everyone wants to be challenged by games. Your average GTA player often ignores the worthless missions, put in some cheats, goes crazy, and has fun. You're not suggesting "achieving" something in a video game amounts to something other than another form of entertainment and possibly empty self-indulgence are you?

@vaio - I'm considering buying extra copies just to give them away here. XD

You have to admit that every other game up to this point requires something of the person playing.  This simply requires waving your arms.  It's just this side of being non-interactive.  I mean, look out your window and wave your arms while people move outside. It's close to that.  I would expect a good amount of even small children, to be frustrated by their actions having little consequence in the game. 

Around the Network

@ Viao - My apologies then. I don't think all the people getting the game to see what the core are bitching about will really amount to much in sales. However, I am predicting it'll be successfull (2m+) just not the next Wii Fit/Play/Sports.

@Rol - Oh come on Rol, you used that one already. Give my thread something new!!

I get where you're coming from - personally, I still need to see more of the game to make my call.

Calling it a relative flop doesn't exactly mean much, though - for example, Mario Galaxy flopping in Japan.  Oh well.  They still have more chances for success.  I still think the minimum this game can sell is 5m, but if only did that much lifetime WW, then I can understand it being called a flop.

Gamerace said:
@ Viao - My apologies then. I don't think all the people getting the game to see what the core are bitching about will really amount to much in sales. However, I am predicting it'll be successfull (2m+) just not the next Wii Fit/Play/Sports.

@Rol - Oh come on Rol, you used that one already. Give my thread something new!!

I forgive you but I won´t forgive you for misspeling my name.

I don´t think it will reach wiifit or wii sports either but it´s not fair to compare the hight of a midget to a mountain.

I also know that there are 10´s of millions of people that can´t play real instruments but would love too and many of thoose people are going to get the game, families wil get it so they can sit around together and play with each other even if they more then likely won´t touch the game after a few times. I think this game will sell 5M+ at the least but it will probably be forgotten within 6 months.

NYANKS said:
BrainBoxLtd said:
NYANKS said:
It may not flop, and I'm fine with Wii owners wanting an alternative experience in gaming with the Wiimote and how the Wii is supposed to be a revolution, but this game just bothers me. I mean, I don't think it even meets the parameters of a game. There is no point to the game. You don't beat anthing, you don't need to learn any controls, and there is no challenge (from what people have said.) Isn't that like playing air guitar, except it costs money?

Fairly certain the point to any game is for it to be entertaining. Not everyone wants to be challenged by games. Your average GTA player often ignores the worthless missions, put in some cheats, goes crazy, and has fun. You're not suggesting "achieving" something in a video game amounts to something other than another form of entertainment and possibly empty self-indulgence are you?

You have to admit that every other game up to this point requires something of the person playing.  This simply requires waving your arms.  I mean, it's just this side of being non-interactive.  I mean, look out your window and wave your arms while people move outside. It's close to that.  I would expect a good amount of even small children, to be frustrated by their actions having little consequence in the game. 

Isn´t the point that you need some kind of rythm and train on said rythm to make your self better at playing whatever song you like in the game?

Also no one actually knows what this game will have in it and how/if you have to unlock instruments and/or songs.

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

vaio said:
Gamerace said:

I forgive you but I won´t forgive you for misspeling my name.

NYANKS said:
BrainBoxLtd said:
NYANKS said:

You have to admit that every other game up to this point requires something of the person playing.  This simply requires waving your arms.  I mean, it's just this side of being non-interactive.  I mean, look out your window and wave your arms while people move outside. It's close to that.  I would expect a good amount of even small children, to be frustrated by their actions having little consequence in the game. 

Isn´t the point that you need some kind of rythm and train on said rythm to make your self better at playing whatever song you like in the game?

Also no one actually knows what this game will have in it and how/if you have to unlock instruments and/or songs.

Well that's the issue I guess. If it requires you to follow rhythm and DO something then it's not so bad.  Most people were saying that it doesn't do that.  I guess we have to wait and see.

Around the Network

On the drawing board Wii-Music sounds about 100x more likely to be a success than Wii-fit, thats doing very well and not just to people that want to keep fit.

I think Nintendo can put wii- infront of almost anything with their marketting stratagy.

Pretty much. I know sales are the bottom line for everyone, but doing this doesn't make you a revolutionary or good game company. People should just see that distinction. 20 million sales on a game doesn't mean the company shoud be praised. Look at Ubisoft and their Imagine series.

A few thoughts

Sales of this game will top 5M -- 3M Japan, 1M Americas, 1M Others

What is being missed is the cultural differences and marketing differences. This game obviously appeals to different sensibilities and different people than other "games." And that will help it sell.

Also, the fact that it is a music experience without having to hit every note perfectly will help differentiate from the other five music games on the Wii -- DDR, Samba de Amigo, Guitar Hero, Rock Band, Guitar Revolution.

As for NYANKS comment about frustration -- what frustrates people is when songs shut down halfway through GH because they didn't hit the right note enough or didn't know to hit the strum bar. This game will be fun for the pre-tween and the super-senior set.

(IF you don't think there is money in kids music, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/They_Might_Be_Giants -- an alternative rock band that also records for Disney or the career arcs of Lisa Loeb, Dan Zanes, or Laurie Berkner. Children's music is actually much much better than when I was young -- it is real music rather than "John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt).

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

LOL how will you sell a rhythm game without rhythm at all? You just flail your arms to make notes. Thats not what rhythm games are all about. AND YEAH, I did say rhythm games because thats they are. Rhythm games. Even you call them music games, video games cant generate music...

Im telling this in a practical standpoint not to say about the philosophical standpoint of it like casuals, core, fun, family, competitiveness and all that. Its just simple, Wii Music wasnt a rhythm game so you cant consider it a music game in a video game standpoint. You just flail you arms all around THATS IT...

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

I am actually hoping that this game will be a huge hit. It will be nice to see what kind of games nintendo will be making after that. 5 million selling wii music or 1 million selling metroid. :)

edit:

And yes, I believe this will flop. People are not that stupid. I think.