By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Prediction: Wii Music will NOT be the next great thing

You've hit the nail on the head there, yushire. The market is moving into a new cycle, and the core are not the target audience as they were before. There is a new core being formed, from the devoted followers of the Wii series and all of these other entry-level games. And it does scare the core gamers, just as the core gamers of the 1980s were afraid when the NES started to invade the PC market.

The market has changed, and with it, so too must the way we play the game change. Things won't be like this forever, though. The bridges are being built, and a new upmarket is being formed. In time, we will work our way back to where we were before the Wii came along. But just as the console market varied greatly from the PC market, so too will the Wii-born market vary greatly from the traditional console-born market.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Around the Network
Sky Render said:
You've hit the nail on the head there, yushire. The market is moving into a new cycle, and the core are not the target audience as they were before. There is a new core being formed, from the devoted followers of the Wii series and all of these other entry-level games. And it does scare the core gamers, just as the core gamers of the 1980s were afraid when the NES started to invade the PC market.

The market has changed, and with it, so too must the way we play the game change. Things won't be like this forever, though. The bridges are being built, and a new upmarket is being formed. In time, we will work our way back to where we were before the Wii came along. But just as the console market varied greatly from the PC market, so too will the Wii-born market vary greatly from the traditional console-born market.

I wish my english skills were better :(, this post says exacly what I wanted to say in addition to what I said in the post above.

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

vaio said:
Gamerace said:
vaio said:
Withe the ammount of hate this game gets it is almost certain it won´t flop.

The hate has ammounted to tremendous publicity and if you are not interested in the game chanses are big you got interested because of the hate hype and that makes a lot of people curios.

Obviously you're too lazy to read more than the title.  Trust me, I WANT Wii Music to be huge but I don't see it and that's from one of Wii's biggest and most ardent supporters.  I don't hate it but unlike the haters, I don't think it'll be the next Wii Fit.

Obvously I am not since I read it. Never said you hated it. I saidwith the ammount of hate this game gets it´s almost certain it won´t flop.

Just on this site I have seen about 20 to 30 people ssaying they will now get it because of the amount of bad hype and here in my my town and around I see the same reactions on people, the so called hardcore hating it and dissing it every chance and others noticing the game because of the hate and they actually get curios about the game and don´t see why the "hardcore" is hating it.

I hope they do buy it, and then realize that they wasted their 40 bucks and send it back and from that point on listen to people that actually play games as a hobby and not as a distraction.

I hope it bombs, horribley. Something needs to snap Nintendo back to making true games and away from these interesting, but ultimatly un-engaging experiments that get put away after a month, never to be touched again.

I own all three current consoles and a great gaming rig, now thats out of the way.

This space Reserved for the Nuggets of Wisdom dropped by Bladeforce:

"Why post something like this when all it will get is PS3 owners blinded to reality replying? BOTH THE PS3 AND BLUE-RAY WILL NOT LAST 3 YEARS! TECHNOLOGY CHANGED TOO FAST!"

"is it Wii FIt that has sold as many as PS3's sold? Thats a LOL Look at the total sales of software is it just me that sees Nintendo titles hitting 10m+ and you say they arent making a difference? Another LOL!"

"Hell, with all the negative hype Sony spin, people just aren't interested cost is too high and to get the true HD experience (1080p, 7.1 surround) you will need a $1000+ system. THAT IS GOING TO DO IT IN A RECESSION! PS4 will not happen"

Was that your experience with these games, Lemmiwinks? Because quite frankly, I've heard of a lot more people playing these games every day than tales of playing the games once and never touching them again.

The market has changed. These are new gamers coming in. And they enjoy these games and want to get the most out of them. If that weren't the case, no copies of any of the Wii series would sell any more. But they do. It's that simple.

I'm fine with Wii Fit, it's a good way to stay in shape... it deserves a lot of credit.

Wii music however... adding nothing, being unintuitive, non competitory.. I like Nintendo and support it, but I'm sorry Sirs, you couldn't have made anything worse than that.

@Yushire: I'll admit it. I'm very afraid of this "change" you're talking about. What if companies see that games of that sort, that are simple in mechanics, relatively cheap to make, and sell hella well, are a good replacement to their previous products, that could be considered/are hardcore games? what am I gonna play then? we're gonna have a huge drop in games made to cater for our market... I shiver at that thought... think about it mate. It's a viable possibility.

IMO, the Wii is either a Godsend or the Antichrist... there is no middle ground here. There are two things that the Wii can do, one good, one bad:

1) Expand the gaming market in the same way the PS1 did back in its time... that's benficial for everyone... more consumers, more money, more incentive to develop games... a huge industry, which is good for you, me, and anyone else. I, for one, want to work in the gaming industry. That is the more likely of the Wii impacts.

2) The second scenario was already explained, and that's a huge reduction in hardcore gaming support. Plain terrible.

phew. long post... I hope you read it.

Around the Network
Sky Render said:

Thats what im afraid of... So our generation was over then? :(

And so as the casual washed the core gamer and their old world away just as like what Sean malstrom predicted....

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

|_emmiwinks said:
vaio said:
Gamerace said:
vaio said:
Withe the ammount of hate this game gets it is almost certain it won´t flop.

The hate has ammounted to tremendous publicity and if you are not interested in the game chanses are big you got interested because of the hate hype and that makes a lot of people curios.

Obviously you're too lazy to read more than the title.  Trust me, I WANT Wii Music to be huge but I don't see it and that's from one of Wii's biggest and most ardent supporters.  I don't hate it but unlike the haters, I don't think it'll be the next Wii Fit.

Obvously I am not since I read it. Never said you hated it. I saidwith the ammount of hate this game gets it´s almost certain it won´t flop.

Just on this site I have seen about 20 to 30 people ssaying they will now get it because of the amount of bad hype and here in my my town and around I see the same reactions on people, the so called hardcore hating it and dissing it every chance and others noticing the game because of the hate and they actually get curios about the game and don´t see why the "hardcore" is hating it.

I hope they do buy it, and then realize that they wasted their 40 bucks and send it back and from that point on listen to people that actually play games as a hobby and not as a distraction.

I hope it bombs, horribley. Something needs to snap Nintendo back to making true games and away from these interesting, but ultimatly un-engaging experiments that get put away after a month, never to be touched again.

Congrats you just won 1st price for most pathetic post and point of view ever. You wish it bombs just because you don´t like this game?

Do you really want to take a away a pontentiall great experience for gamers that hasn´t got your taste just because it does´n´t cater to your liking?

You do realise that there is room for alternate gaming ecperiences besides you own with out risking the death of your loved franchises.

If you truly think what you posted I hope you crawl back under the stone you crawled up from and stay there forever. Intolerance like the one you just showed in your post is the breeding ground for all horrible things in the world and I hope it dies out and becomes extinct.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

The only core that will be washed away is the part of the core that will not adapt. That's how it is with all disruptive forces. Those who stay behind are left behind. It's worth it to go with the change instead of resist it. You have nothing to lose, and everything to gain. As I said, the upmarket will re-emerge and take on a new form in the coming years. Games won't be like the Wii series forever, just as they weren't like Super Mario Brothers and Legend of Zelda forever when the previous cycle started.

Xen said:
I'm fine with Wii Fit, it's a good way to stay in shape... it deserves a lot of credit.

Wii music however... adding nothing, being unintuitive, non competitory.. I like Nintendo and support it, but I'm sorry Sirs, you couldn't have made anything worse than that.

@Yushire: I'll admit it. I'm very afraid of this "change" you're talking about. What if companies see that games of that sort, that are simple in mechanics, relatively cheap to make, and sell hella well, are a good replacement to their previous products, that could be considered/are hardcore games? what am I gonna play then? we're gonna have a huge drop in games made to cater for our market... I shiver at that thought... think about it mate. It's a viable possibility.

IMO, the Wii is either a Godsend or the Antichrist... there is no middle ground here. There are two things that the Wii can do, one good, one bad:

1) Expand the gaming market in the same way the PS1 did back in its time... that's benficial for everyone... more consumers, more money, more incentive to develop games... a huge industry, which is good for you, me, and anyone else. I, for one, want to work in the gaming industry. That is the more likely of the Wii impacts.

2) The second scenario was already expalined, and that's a huge reduction in hardcore gaming support. Plain terrible.

phew. long post... I hope you read it.

I think thats what Ninty already did with the DS, opposed to the Sony's PSP. I mean, why would Ninty want a last gen console for their new console anyway? I think the apocalypse is among us sorry if Im too corny but thats how I feel. So theres new Metalgear Solid and final fantasy games then?

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

yushire said:
Sky Render said:

Thats what im afraid of... So our generation was over then? :(

And so as the casual washed the core gamer and their old world away just as like what Sean malstrom predicted....

Nothing to be afraid of, they are building new worlds of gaming that we can experience and enjoy in addition to the ones we have been enjoying for decades. Just let your fear go and follow the new flow and you will have a great adventure in gaming along the way.

In the end we will have the best of all worlds, 2d,3d casual and wherever this direction will take us and in the end all roads will end at virtual reality.