By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Guilty Gear Creator: "'Xbox 360 Development is Easier"

I guess this might be part of the reason japanese developers are working on 360 titles...it's easier, which means easier money...

http://360.kombo.com/article.php?artid=14228

I think it's a matter of time before 360 starts to saturate in Japan....maybe the next console.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Around the Network

I need to find me a look at the basic workings of a PS3 are and see where all these bottlenecks and problems are coming from. If John Carmack said that PS3 development is harder and takes a lot more work then it is true. The guy coded parts of the DOOM engine on assembly, that puts him right up there with Batman on the badass list.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

vlad321 said:
I need to find me a look at the basic workings of a PS3 are and see where all these bottlenecks and problems are coming from. If John Carmack said that PS3 development is harder and takes a lot more work then it is true. The guy coded parts of the DOOM engine on assembly, that puts him right up there with Batman on the badass list.

That's also why he drives a car worth more than I make a year.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

guilty gear the fighting game?

vlad, it isn't all just to do with bottlenecks. Basically the Xbox 360 is programmed more or less with Direct-X, the basics of which have been around for a very long time now.

So anyone who's written a PC game in the last 5 years can probably code something up for Xbox pretty quickly. Then they have to work on optimisations etc to get around the differences between the architecture and relative component speeds from a PC. Then generally on a second generation game, the developers have learnt the sort of stuff they need to do differently, and can do a better designed engine and get more performance as a result.

With a PS3, it's just not as familiar. Starting from scratch without an idea of where to begin means the first generation will very likely take longer and perform worse. Going onto the next game the developer would be at about the point they were at with the first gen Xbox 360 game.

Taking that into account, and given the 360 launched a year earlier, I wouldn't be surprised if PS3 development efforts are basically 1.5 generations of games behind the 360.

NB: yes I know Carmack was never much of a Direct-X guy anyway, and that mostly he writes OpenGL, but for most developers, Direct-X is fairly familiar.

Around the Network

we already know that but i want to know how much hard is the develop for PS3 ?

X360 may be easier to develop for. Power of teh Cellz ensures PS3 games look much better than X360 games.

being harder to make means end result is of higher quality

Initiating social expirement #928719281

PS3 has the same problem the sega saturn had. It's not all one set of CPU cores you can just throw everything at and adjust. I doubt the multiple CPUs is the problem, it's that they are not symetrical in the ps3, which makes it difficult to do dynamic adjustments as to how resources are allocated.

786_ali said:
being harder to make means end result is of higher quality

I'm a software engineer and I'd have to say this is a load of rubbish.

As a fairly analogous example from my own work, our system connects to databases like Oracle / MySQL.  Like PS3 and XBox they both have different libraries, that in the end, do much the same stuff as each other.  I'd used MySQL through other mechanisms for many years so that can play the part of the Xbox.  Oracle is better but I hadn't used it before, so this can star as the PS3.

I knocked up the MySQL library to a working state within 12 hours and it had very few bugs.  With Oracle, I spent a week on it, found it more tricky and ended up with many more bugs.

But in comparison with what I expect to happen a couple more years down the road, once the Oracle library got used, and I rebuilt parts of it to work with Oracle instead of being fudged to match what I did with MySQL, it worked better and faster with that second generation.