By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Guilty Gear Creator: "'Xbox 360 Development is Easier"

The reason most 3rd developers develop for the 360 first cause its easier.

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

Xbox live:mywiferocks

Around the Network

I think this will fit here perfectly:

http://www.thatvideogameblog.com/2008/08/13/less-than-three-out-of-ten-games-recover-development-cost-former-sony-exec-says/

More than 7/10 PS3(?) games fail to profit?

Rock_on_2008 said:

X360 may be easier to develop for. Power of teh Cellz ensures PS3 games look much better than X360 games.

Banned for being deluded? The Cell is not nearly as powerful as you make it out to be... it's a beast at many things, but gaming isn't one of them.  Just from the statistics alone it should be totally destroying the 360 in graphics, but that is not the case and never will be.

asc99c said:
786_ali said:
being harder to make means end result is of higher quality

I'm a software engineer and I'd have to say this is a load of rubbish.

As a fairly analogous example from my own work, our system connects to databases like Oracle / MySQL.  Like PS3 and XBox they both have different libraries, that in the end, do much the same stuff as each other.  I'd used MySQL through other mechanisms for many years so that can play the part of the Xbox.  Oracle is better but I hadn't used it before, so this can star as the PS3.

I knocked up the MySQL library to a working state within 12 hours and it had very few bugs.  With Oracle, I spent a week on it, found it more tricky and ended up with many more bugs.

But in comparison with what I expect to happen a couple more years down the road, once the Oracle library got used, and I rebuilt parts of it to work with Oracle instead of being fudged to match what I did with MySQL, it worked better and faster with that second generation.

I'm just a regular old network tech, but even I know that MySQL is more like a last gen system compaired to Oracle that is more like a current gen system.  The end result is a game, but the game is much better as the developer gets used to it over time... whereas it was just looking like the old games at the start.

Bitmap Frogs said:

That's very stealthy, Mike... but there's no direct relation between processing power and difficulty of programming. The truth is that the x360 is easier to program and has a more powerful GPU. The supposed benefits of the cell have yet to be seen =/

The benefits have been already proved.THe best of the best PS3 games (GT 5 Prologue ,Uncharted ,MGS4 ,Heavenly Sword ,Ratchet )look better that anything on the 360 right now.

Other thing is that you dont want to see those  benefits ,but thats more a question of you blinding yourself than anything.

Around the Network
Diomedes1976 said:
Bitmap Frogs said:

That's very stealthy, Mike... but there's no direct relation between processing power and difficulty of programming. The truth is that the x360 is easier to program and has a more powerful GPU. The supposed benefits of the cell have yet to be seen =/

The benefits have been already proved.THe best of the best PS3 games (GT 5 Prologue ,Uncharted ,MGS4 ,Heavenly Sword ,Ratchet )look better that anything on the 360 right now.

Other thing is that you dont want to see those  benefits ,but thats more a question of you blinding yourself than anything.

I've only seen 2 of those games (MGS4 and Uncharted)  live, and I can say they DON'T look better than anything on the 360!  Anyway, Alan Wake video looks better than most and comparable to heavy rain, which is the holy grail of PS3.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
heruamon said:
vlad321 said:
I need to find me a look at the basic workings of a PS3 are and see where all these bottlenecks and problems are coming from. If John Carmack said that PS3 development is harder and takes a lot more work then it is true. The guy coded parts of the DOOM engine on assembly, that puts him right up there with Batman on the badass list.

That's also why he drives a car worth more than I make a year.

"Easier to program for" equals "360 is more like PC and I like money."

Are you actually so deluded that you think companies make games for any reason other than to make money?  Do you think that because it's harder to develop for the PS3, then developers who make games for the PS3 must care more about you personally and will be forced to make better games so that your own personal enjoyment of their title will increase? 

Companies make games to make money.  Period.  They make GOOD games because they want you to buy them so they can feed their families.  That's just about all there is to it.  "Harder to develop for" does not mean "better games", it means "more of a hassle".  The game will take longer to make for the PS3, it will require more man hours, it will cost more in general, etc.  If you're a developer making a game and it's turning out to be much easier to do on the 360, meaning it will be out on the market and selling copies faster than if it were on the PS3, what platform do you think it's wise to go to in a business sense? 

Come on people.  Time is money.  Consoles don't last forever.  Developers are under more and more budget constraints even though games are costing more and more to make.  If the PS3 is going to make that situation even worse, then a lot of companies will treat it as their second priority.  It evens out when they get past the learning curve, which is what we're seeing now, at least as far as visuals and simultaneous multi plat releases.

Domicinator said:
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
heruamon said:
vlad321 said:
I need to find me a look at the basic workings of a PS3 are and see where all these bottlenecks and problems are coming from. If John Carmack said that PS3 development is harder and takes a lot more work then it is true. The guy coded parts of the DOOM engine on assembly, that puts him right up there with Batman on the badass list.

That's also why he drives a car worth more than I make a year.

"Easier to program for" equals "360 is more like PC and I like money."

Are you actually so deluded that you think companies make games for any reason other than to make money?  Do you think that because it's harder to develop for the PS3, then developers who make games for the PS3 must care more about you personally and will be forced to make better games so that your own personal enjoyment of their title will increase? 

Companies make games to make money.  Period.  They make GOOD games because they want you to buy them so they can feed their families.  That's just about all there is to it.  "Harder to develop for" does not mean "better games", it means "more of a hassle".  The game will take longer to make for the PS3, it will require more man hours, it will cost more in general, etc.  If you're a developer making a game and it's turning out to be much easier to do on the 360, meaning it will be out on the market and selling copies faster than if it were on the PS3, what platform do you think it's wise to go to in a business sense? 

Come on people.  Time is money.  Consoles don't last forever.  Developers are under more and more budget constraints even though games are costing more and more to make.  If the PS3 is going to make that situation even worse, then a lot of companies will treat it as their second priority.  It evens out when they get past the learning curve, which is what we're seeing now, at least as far as visuals and simultaneous multi plat releases.

"Time is Money"....fanyboys jsut don't get that...these companies are making games to make money, not for some higher ideals.  If M$ can push out software improvements in the 360 to make it faster at doing what it does...it's going to ensure developers WANT to develop fo the system.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Rock_on_2008 said:

X360 may be easier to develop for. Power of teh Cellz ensures PS3 games look much better than X360 games.

You do not know nothing about hardwareThe CPU is not the only part of a system that makes it almighty
ATI XENON (xbox360 gpu) >>>>>>> RSX (PS3 gpu)
Xbox360 has a better GPU from PS3
Multiplatform games do not look better in PS3 at all
Cueil said:

Banned for being deluded? The Cell is not nearly as powerful as you make it out to be... it's a beast at many things, but gaming isn't one of them.  Just from the statistics alone it should be totally destroying the 360 in graphics, but that is not the case and never will be.

+1

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools because they have to say something." PLATO (428 BC-348 BC)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Predictions are never accurate and are a fanboys hobby...Never trust what fanboys say...

I almost liken the Cell processor to the similarly hyped FX chip in the SNES. Yeah, it did a lot of cool stuff, and it was responsible for Star Fox, but it didn't change the video game world. I don't think the Cell will either.