By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 360 to outsell the Nintendo Wii, apparently...

This from a stock analysis website.  Has it been posted yet?

http://seekingalpha.com/article/94362-why-microsoft-s-xbox-360-will-outsell-nintendo-s-wii?source=yahoo

"According to the best guesses there are about 30 million Nintendo (NTDOY.PK) Wiis in the world, 20 million Microsoft (MSFT) Xbox 360s and 15 million Sony (SNE) Playstation PS3s. So the Wii has currently sold 50% more than the 360. And 10 million is a lot of units to make up. Here is how it will happen:

• As this site has been predicting for a long time, the Xbox 360 is now $199. This is the price point at which historically 75% of consoles sell. However the 360 got to this point very early in its life, so far, far more than 75% of 360 sales are yet to happen. Currently the Wii is above the magic $199 price point, expect it to come down as predicted here. But even at a new, low price point the Wii will have difficulty in perceived value against the Xbox 360.
  • Sony is making massive losses on the PS3, and so it cannot bring the price down. All the company has been able to do recently is pass on lower hard drive prices by giving customers bigger drives at the same price. As the PS3 and the Xbox 360 are very similar in their capabilities Sony will now lose a huge number of potential sales to the Xbox 360.
  • The Wii is for many people little more than a glorified toy. It is just a box for playing Wii Sports or Wii Fit. If these people want proper gaming they will buy a 360.
  • The 360 has by far the best catalogue of games in this generation. This is because it was launched first, because it is far easier to develop for than the PS3, because Microsoft has invested a lot in exclusives and because 360 owners buy more games than owners of the other consoles. The Wii has some brilliant first party exclusives, but these are relatively few and most third party games are little more than shovelware.
  • The Wii is very stunted in capabilites being largely just an uprated gamecube. Its capabilities are far behind those of the Xbox 360. This is especially damaging in the lack of HDTV support and a hard drive. Comparing the two machines side by side is like looking at a Ferrari next to a bicycle.
  • The Wii is going to have a very short production life, perhaps four years, before it is replaced by a SuperWii that will correct its weaknesses. The Xbox 360 is going to be in production for at least eight years, the last half of that life as the low cost partner to the Xbox 720 (Phoenix) in a two model range. So the 360 has a long time to catch up and overtake the Wii for total sales.
  • The 360 is being engineered into a single chip (+memory) combining the GPU and CPU. The effects of Moore’s Law are such that this will become cheap enough to incorporate into televisions, which Microsoft seems to be gearing up to do. Nintendo has no chance here... with the Wii, who would want a non HD console built into their HDTV?
  • The Xbox 360 has Xbox live which is by far the best online gaming portal there is. Microsoft have built a formidable USP here and are not about to lose it anytime soon. The company will invest what it takes to keep its online offering well ahead of those of its competitors. So great will the power of live become that every keen gamer will be forced to buy the hardware necessary to access it, just so as to remain a viable member of the gaming community.
  • Microsoft has now made the Xbox 360 commercially viable in Japan by creating the games that the Japanese want. This is a huge turnaround and adds a lot to the potential total sales of the console.

The success of the 360 goes against Microsoft’s traditions, normally the company waits for the third iteration of a product to become the market leader. And of course if you add the sales of the Wii to the sales of the SuperWii then Nintendo have the potential to still end up ahead."

Comments?  ;)

Around the Network

lolbruceongames

As in go buy us some coffee.

http://speedhunters.com

Hey, isn't that the guy who was permabanned for idiocy early this year?

I can't imagine why that would be...

Yeah, that guy was permabanned from VGC for being a complete dumbf*ck. And I HATE using words like that, but he was really just an unknowledgeable moron.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

Misuse of statistics. Last gen 100% of GC's were sold at 199 or less. How much time did PS2 or Xbox spend at or below 199 versus over?

Edit: NM, read the rest of it.  It's all bs from someone who knows very little of the game industry.

One chip?

Viable in Japan?  Because of one week's sales.

Wut?

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Around the Network

x_x yeah, thats why the Gc came out with the price of 199 and sold billions and billions ....oh, wait -.-

FAIL!!!!!!

Hahaha that is great. Thanks for posting this so I could get a chuckle out of it.

Let's see how many marks of a poor analyst we can find...

* His first point is all about pricing. Poor analysts see value as defined primarily by price. So one strike against him.

* Point two is also about price. Only somehow it predicts Wii downfall from PS3 failure versus 360? Illogical conclusions based off of unrelated data, strike two.

* Relying on cliches in point three, like any good viral marketer or poor analyst. Strike three.

* Another cliched argument on number four, another viral marketer's best friend. Strike four.

* Focus on incrementally upgraded technology as the only value of matter in point five, poor analyst strike five.

* A total nonsense argument in point six with no solid evidence whatsoever to back it up and in fact going 100% contrary to actual data. Strike six.

* Oh look, incremental upgrade as the only value worth counting again. This guy's predictable. Strike seven...

* Trying to talk up the 360 with a feature that has near-zero profitability and no value to most consumers. Strike eight.

* Flawed statement based upon a single event triggered by a single game that is rapidly returning to normal. Bad analysts love to home in on temporary phenomenae as permanent indicators of progress. Strike nine.

Nine out of nine arguments failed to account for reality. And all of them were loaded with the most cliche'd of anti-Wii pro-360 viral marketer speak, the kind that's been in use roughly since the Wii launched. That's pretty sad.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

This guy wrote such a horrible .....thing....I can't even find it funny. It's just sickening. =P

Few good points,but half of it is just childich.

Take my love, take my land..