By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GTA- The most overrated game of any gen?

As much as I am up for stating a game is overrated, kinda getting annoying. So many threads stating the same thing.

Coming from a guy who doesn't like Halo, could half of you stop bringing it up GTA overrated thread.

Around the Network

It is vastly overhyped for sure. It deserves an 7/10 in my book. However, when compared to San Andreas, then GTAIV was quite rubbish. Fewer cars, weapons, missions, and no where near as much fun. GTAIV was hardly any fun at all.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions

Halo 3 most overated closely followed by GTA IV. Dark Knight is one of the Most Overrated Movies of ALL TIME.

Halo may have been overrated, but it did what it was meant to superbly. It stood by what it is- a first person shooter! graphics were good for what it is, the sound was good, the gameplay was awesome. It may have not been a totally new Halo experience but that was its only flaw.

I do not blame the game developers as much as I blame the critics. If they were to review the games fairly, it may encourage the developers to do a better job next time.

Killzone on the ps2 was another overrated game, but again, just like Halo, it played well and was a lot of fun.

GeoW may have been overrated, but the graphics were amazing, the sound was amazing, the story may not have been all so great but let's face it, most 1st person shooters lack great in depth story telling, but they make up for it with the action they bring; not to forget, GeoW was innovative offering a new style of gaming with the over the shoulder camera. It pushed gaming way more then GTA VC, San Andreas and GTAIV did. The best thing about GeoW is that it wasn't rated on a novelty or brand name such as GTA but it was rated for being a great game.

Fei-Hung said:
Halo may have been overrated, but it did what it was meant to superbly. It stood by what it is- a first person shooter! graphics were good for what it is, the sound was good, the gameplay was awesome. It may have not been a totally new Halo experience but that was its only flaw.

I do not blame the game developers as much as I blame the critics. If they were to review the games fairly, it may encourage the developers to do a better job next time.

Killzone on the ps2 was another overrated game, but again, just like Halo, it played well and was a lot of fun.

GeoW may have been overrated, but the graphics were amazing, the sound was amazing, the story may not have been all so great but let's face it, most 1st person shooters lack great in depth story telling, but they make up for it with the action they bring; not to forget, GeoW was innovative offering a new style of gaming with the over the shoulder camera. It pushed gaming way more then GTA VC, San Andreas and GTAIV did. The best thing about GeoW is that it wasn't rated on a novelty or brand name such as GTA but it was rated for being a great game.

Killzone wasn't over-rated. It was slammed by the critics. Otherwise I agree with the post...

Around the Network

Why do people love Halo? I found it to be such a tedius experience. The weapons were all rather dull, the stages were as big as you can imagine with massive rooms and environment but each one in each stage was virtually the same as the other and the enemies were the same throughout and all as boring as could be. Halo was for me the classic example of what a FPS should not be like. It was incredibly dull and repetitive. I presume all the hype of Halo is because of the online death matches because it surely can't be over the dull, tedious campaign mode.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Yes, it is overrated but not by that much. Every single game had tons of work put in them, just that it doesnt fits every gamers taste...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

tuoyo said:
Why do people love Halo? I found it to be such a tedius experience. The weapons were all rather dull, the stages were as big as you can imagine with massive rooms and environment but each one in each stage was virtually the same as the other and the enemies were the same throughout and all as boring as could be. Halo was for me the classic example of what a FPS should not be like. It was incredibly dull and repetitive. I presume all the hype of Halo is because of the online death matches because it surely can't be over the dull, tedious campaign mode.

I guess you just don't get it and thats fine...

But I'm telling you now Halo 1 was one of the most important games of last gen. At the time there wasn't anything available on any platform (including PC - well maybe half life) that offered such an amazing experince in the FPS realm. Hence why Halo 1 won as many game of the year awards.

Halo 2 made lots of improvements on the formula. Co-op campaign was amazing, Xbox live launched so online play was a breeze...stat tracking. Again, I can't think of anything at the time that offered the complete package of Halo 2.

Halo 3 was refinment of the formula. The campaign was cool but mostly lifted from halo 1 and 2. The only cool adition is 4 player split screen campaign mode. The multiplayer is where this game shines. theater mode and making your own clips of the kills is the best addition to an FPS this gen. You will say to friends..."yeah I totally killed 30 guys this one match..." and they will call you a liar and then BAM...you show them the clip, edited the way you'd like it to be. The multiplayer maps in halo 3 are superior to any maps I've seen before...in a sense they require strategy depending on what game you play. Even COD4 can't match the carnige that some maps of halo 3 offer.

I'm noticing a trend that a lot of Wii owners just don't get halo and are asking "why is this fun?". Wonder why that is?

tuoyo said:

Maybe because it is a great game? If halo is an example of what fps-game should not be, can you give me an example of what it should be? :)

Online is a must for fps-games.

^^ The only near enough FPS shooter I can think of from any gen would be Goldeneye. That for me would be an example of what FPS should be like. A great Single player mode, Multiplayer mode and had it been online, it would have rocked that too!