By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Gaming PC for the price of a console, that outperforms a console :)

interesting thread..............................................................not

Around the Network

Virtually all off the shelf PCs come with video cards that are inadequate for playing the current generation of PC games at acceptable performance. You will pay a big premium for configurations that include even an 8800GT.

Any bargain PC with an integrated X3100 Intel chipset as its graphics solution doesn't even rate for gaming with anything other than low overhead games.

If you go with the bargain pre-built PC, factor in the price of an aftermarket video card $120 8800GT and a larger PSU as most factory jobs come with PSUs rated under 400watts, which is inadvisable for a full sized graphics card upgrade.

Do the math and you'll see that you're better off building from scratch unless you are satisfied with low overhead gaming.

greenmedic88 said:
So, bottom line being you can build a $500 PC, reusing some parts from a previous computer and a free/recycled OS for a bit more than 2.5x the cost of an Xbox 360.

Assuming it's being used for something other than gaming, it's a very fair trade off, but even a $5,000 PC won't play any platform exclusives published on either the Wii or the PS3 and even a fair amount of games on the 360 that will never see the light of day on the PC due to the differences in gaming markets.

Make it a $10,000 PC and that still doesn't change.

It still goes back to individual player preference. If your mainstay is RTS and MMORPGs for instance, why would it even matter what exclusives consoles offered?

It's a pointless argument that will never cease regardless.

Actually, by the time you get to a $10,000 gaming system, you're probably going to have modified a Wii, PS3, and 360 into the PC... so by that point in time, yes, it will have changed. :p

...I kinda wish I had a spare $10,000 now. =|

SW-5120-1900-6153

Yeah. That was kind of my point.

You could always tape a PS3 and a Wii and maybe a 360 for good measure on top of your now ultimate gaming PC, or build a custom cabinet to hold everything, but you'd still playing on 4 platforms, presumably taking the best of each.

Some people seem perfectly happy with just a $250 Wii, so there's not much point in arguing gaming tastes.

It's the ones who seem convinced that their gaming tastes somehow apply to everyone else that have completely missed the point

I'm not seeing a blu-ray drive anywhere in there..... No HDMI or 5.1 sound either..... What's that? No wireless!? Where'd my blu tooth go!?

Around the Network

Hey 'obi one', you can by Vista for 10$ because that is about what it's worth.

kjj4t9rdad said:
Hey 'obi one', you can by Vista for 10$ because that is about what it's worth.

Yeah, or XP, or Office, what's your point?

Also I'm not sure how you extract "obi one" out of BenKenobi88...

Username2324, many mid-level motherboards come with HDMI output now, and TONS of them have 5.1 sound output.  Wireless cards are $30, and Blutooth USB dongles are $20...that's hardly a price issue.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Username2324 said:
I'm not seeing a blu-ray drive anywhere in there..... No HDMI or 5.1 sound either..... What's that? No wireless!? Where'd my blu tooth go!?

lol simpleton.

DVI essentially is HDMI, particularly on this videocard's output. And this videocard has dual DVI output. I don't believe the PS3 is capable of dual screening, eh?

And the motherboard has 8 channel sound, which is VASTLY superior to 5.1.

So yeah, you're right. It doesn't have HDMI or 5.1 sound. It has better. Do you need help getting your foot out of your mouth?

As for wireless, BenKenobi hit the nail on the head. That's a miniscule concern. I, for one, have like four wifi AND bluetooth USB dongles sitting around that he could have for free if it's that big a concern. :

SW-5120-1900-6153

DVI doesn't output 7.1 channel sound. DVI doesn't output any sound. Just a minor difference between HDMI and DVI.

There are video cards with optical and HDMI output, but they're uncommon.

Anyway, nobody wants to keep a PC in the living room to use like a stereo component. It's ridiculous. I say this as someone who has a PC with optical/HDMI output, a TV tuner, AV input/capture, etc. etc. All that flexibility makes it useful as a presentation device in an auditorium or a meeting room, but the living room?

Some people complain about the size of the PS3 as a living room stereo component. Good luck coaxing the general public to use a PC tower for the same purpose.

Do you use a remote or do you use a keyboard and mouse/pad to watch TV or movies in the living room? Sure it can be done, but the overwhelming majority of the PC using world doesn't and doesn't want to either.

I do it myself, but it's awkward and impractical.

I'm not aware of too many output sources for 8 channel sound equipped PCs, but maybe that's just me.

vlad321 said:
Billy D said:
How does MGS4 run on your new PC? Uncharted? Zelda? Mario?

How does your Wii/PS360 even run Starcraft? UT2004? CS? Warcraft3/WoW? Crysis?

actually i can run all the games mentioned.. .. and i have all of them.. with the exception of world of warcraft and crysis (i had crysis though.. dunno where it went)

In either case the pc doesn't surpass the ps3 because of a minor few things.

1. It's rather difficult to set up to a tv compaired. You need a dvi to hdmi and a hdmi cable.

2. It's also rather difficult using with a tv since there is a distance between you and the tv which can be severely limited by this. Furthermore it doesn't contain the same level of "chill" playing on a console does :p

4. It doesn't have blu ray.. which obviously would make it much more expencive

9. The Cell enables me to skip as many numbers as i want !!

In either case, with both a ps3 and a pc.. you are set.. :p i also have a wii though.

oh yeah.. and my ps3 Can play ps2 games.. it's that good. HURR !

Check out my game about moles ^