By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Gaming PC for the price of a console, that outperforms a console :)

JaggedSac said:

It isn't important and am not sure why the hell the guy is bringing it up. And there is probably some hack that will let you play Windows games on Linux or something. And Linux is free.

You can emulate windows programs with wine and no its not a hack. :)

Well, theres also transgaming with cedega,

http://kahvipapu.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/nfsc_01.jpg

And of course theres linux games too.

http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/items/free_games/Images/extreme_tux_racer.jpg

(Haha, yeah for example doom3 has linux binaries.)

I just can't post this link enough. :D

crysis all HIGH DX9 on a $400 PC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpO4FwTpR3Q

And lastly my linux <3 ,

Ok, this one is last thing. Its for all windows users.

You really should think about these things.

Around the Network
Kyros said:

If you want to do it right you need the expensive Windows Media Center Edition

False... for Vista users. We get Windows Media Center included with Home Premium and above.

digitalcell said:
Kyros said:

If you want to do it right you need the expensive Windows Media Center Edition

False... for Vista users. We get Windows Media Center included with Home Premium and above.

Ya...bash Vista all you want, but as of now it's about equal on game performance with XP, but it also comes with Windows Media Center, and that was REALLY nice combined with my TV card.

It had enough bugs that I felt like switching back to XP though.

That's the biggest thing I miss though.

And for $10, Vista with Media Center is the farthest thing possible from "expensive."

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

One thing we need to understand, is gaming is about fun and games. Not about graphics. A PC is missing a key feature that consoles have and that is the word "local."

Wheather a PC can match up or actually beats a console in games is arguable. Therefore, PC verses console has strengths and weaknesses. In other words, it comes down to a man's opinion. One mind is, "I like console gaming, controllers, couch setting, and "local,"" the other comes down to "I like more complex UI, better graphics, and excellent online offers."

The general premise of this post is that the only thing that separates the two things, console and PC, are graphics. You only need look at the Wii to realize that far more separate these two methods of gaming and that no matter how profound your argument seems one way or another, the true answer will always come down to taste.

Know that, and you may know everything.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Staude said:
vlad321 said:
Billy D said:
How does MGS4 run on your new PC? Uncharted? Zelda? Mario?

How does your Wii/PS360 even run Starcraft? UT2004? CS? Warcraft3/WoW? Crysis?

actually i can run all the games mentioned.. .. and i have all of them.. with the exception of world of warcraft and crysis (i had crysis though.. dunno where it went)

In either case the pc doesn't surpass the ps3 because of a minor few things.

1. It's rather difficult to set up to a tv compaired. You need a dvi to hdmi and a hdmi cable.

2. It's also rather difficult using with a tv since there is a distance between you and the tv which can be severely limited by this. Furthermore it doesn't contain the same level of "chill" playing on a console does :p

4. It doesn't have blu ray.. which obviously would make it much more expencive

9. The Cell enables me to skip as many numbers as i want !!

In either case, with both a ps3 and a pc.. you are set.. :p i also have a wii though.

oh yeah.. and my ps3 Can play ps2 games.. it's that good. HURR !

Can't help but notice that 3/4 of your arguments have something to do with a TV set. Honestly, do you boot up GoW for "chill" gaming? Why would you need to plug your PC into the TV in the first place, hell if you really want something awesome, just hook up your PC to a projector and you are set. It almost sounds like you bought a PS3 for its media capabilities and not gaming. I love my couch, when I'm playing boom blox or soomething nice and chill like Baird, but dear god is the couch horrible when I need to play any shooters on it.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Around the Network
greenmedic88 said:
DVI doesn't output 7.1 channel sound. DVI doesn't output any sound. Just a minor difference between HDMI and DVI.

There are video cards with optical and HDMI output, but they're uncommon.

Anyway, nobody wants to keep a PC in the living room to use like a stereo component. It's ridiculous. I say this as someone who has a PC with optical/HDMI output, a TV tuner, AV input/capture, etc. etc. All that flexibility makes it useful as a presentation device in an auditorium or a meeting room, but the living room?

Some people complain about the size of the PS3 as a living room stereo component. Good luck coaxing the general public to use a PC tower for the same purpose.

Do you use a remote or do you use a keyboard and mouse/pad to watch TV or movies in the living room? Sure it can be done, but the overwhelming majority of the PC using world doesn't and doesn't want to either.

I do it myself, but it's awkward and impractical.

I'm not aware of too many output sources for 8 channel sound equipped PCs, but maybe that's just me.

That's news to me. If no one wants to, why is there are market for HTPCs? Go to places like AVSForum and there are numerous threads about people setting up PCs for use with home theaters. Having setups with large amounts of disk space are quite popular for those with money to spend, as they rip their entire Blu-ray/DVD/CD collections to the PC and just run them from there.

greenmedic88 said:
DVI doesn't output 7.1 channel sound. DVI doesn't output any sound. Just a minor difference between HDMI and DVI.

There are video cards with optical and HDMI output, but they're uncommon.

Anyway, nobody wants to keep a PC in the living room to use like a stereo component. It's ridiculous. I say this as someone who has a PC with optical/HDMI output, a TV tuner, AV input/capture, etc. etc. All that flexibility makes it useful as a presentation device in an auditorium or a meeting room, but the living room?

Some people complain about the size of the PS3 as a living room stereo component. Good luck coaxing the general public to use a PC tower for the same purpose.

Do you use a remote or do you use a keyboard and mouse/pad to watch TV or movies in the living room? Sure it can be done, but the overwhelming majority of the PC using world doesn't and doesn't want to either.

I do it myself, but it's awkward and impractical.

I'm not aware of too many output sources for 8 channel sound equipped PCs, but maybe that's just me.

Put linux on there, hook it up to a network and get that Nokia pocket PC which comes with Linux installed. Full control of your computer from wherever. As to the issue of not having enough room for the PC tower, I said this once and I guess I will repeat it again. Throw away your crappy TV and grab a projector and keep the PC next to it, or even better under it.

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Let me say it again.

You do not need Windows to play Windows games.

Just because "99.9% of gamers use Windows" doesn't mean all gamers need Windows. You can use Linux, which is free, then emulate Windows inside Linux. What this will do is, firstly, allow you to pay absolutely nothing to get the same functions as Windows. And secondly, it allows you to actually have better system performance because Linux uses virtually zero system resources, unlike Vista which practically halves system abilities after all is said and done. Your system will perform immensely better this way. Yes, it requires a lot more know-how, but it's worth it. Why does a PC have to have Windows? Fourteen years ago, nothing required Windows. You used DOS, and that didn't have to be Microsoft's version. It just had to be DOS. Commander Keen, Rise of the Triad, Duke Nukem, Castle Wolfenstein, Epic Pinball, Jill of the Jungle, Prince of Persia, Wacky Wheelz, etc. All great games that existed prior to the Windows conquering of the market. Just because Microsoft makes the operating system that everybody uses just because it's there doesn't mean you have to use it.

This is not exactly true. Nowhere near all Windows games work in that way and even if they do they often require specific versions of said Windows emulation software (or specific hardware) so you can't play all games at the same time. I know this because I a) tried it myself and b) saw a guy who is basically Mr. Linux (works, plays, eats and sleeps the darn thing) install Windows for gaming because using Linux caused far to much headache to be worth it. Though I do admit it was fun to try and play WoW without mouse support and some-shooter at 5FPS because of bugs in the emulation. The Kernel panics where less fun though. Usually these bugs get fixed eventually but it's hardly a convenient approach to gaming.

I do find your 'almost zero system resources' statement funny though. I mean, Linux is in many ways better than Windows but it is not that much better and what's more - the main, overriding complaint about using Linux for gaming I've personally seen on the message boards of Cedega, Wine, WineX etc is that game performance is less than using it under Windows ;)

And if it's an HD movie, it's probably a BDrip. Meaning it is the blu-ray movie, which means it's the exact same quality.

Again, get your facts straight.

So, we're down to more piracy again? That is just a weak excuse - there are no legally available HD movies for the PC in that quality and you damn well know it. So my facts are straight, I just don't condone piracy.

As for being able to download on the consoles, you can download, yes, but you have less compatibility, less variety, less of nearly everything.

Almost all movies are distributed in codecs that work just fine on the PS3 and Xbox 360.

thetonestarr said:
Geldorn said:
thetonestarr said:
What the hell are you talking about? That PC he listed is quite a bit more powerful than any of the gaming consoles, and it vastly outperforms all three of them as well. How on earth can it "lag in capabilities"?

If you're going to hate, at least have the facts straight. Seriously, you're only proving that you're subjectively biased against PC gamers.

Anyhow, you'll never find a gaming PC with blu-ray that costs less than the PS3, & that's because PCs are always designed to do a LOT more than consoles. You're paying more for a mess of extra features. It's foolish to think you'll find one that costs less. Until the PS3 does everything a PC does, you can't expect anything otherwise.

Sorry about the layout of this  post - I can't seem to fix in a reasonable timeframe.

The fact you said movies when he said downloading shows how restricted downloading is on consoles. Clips are some of the least downloaded files out there. Fully agree with you on Linux as great as it is it just plain sucks for gaming. I also still don't see what HD movies has anything to do with a gaming machine, seriously, but I can assure you than within a few years tops, not only will gaming PCs be even more powerful than consoles than they already are, but you could stick your bluray player in them as well. The point is that as of a few months ago, the PC is back on top in terms of power for cheap, and that was the only area at which the consoles could hold their own against a PC.

If you have an older PC just play the older games or games which only require minimum requirements.