By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Gaming PC for the price of a console, that outperforms a console :)

I just bought these parts and put them together.  It was my first time building a PC, and it was easier than most lego kits.

I copied the build from Techreport,

http://techreport.com/articles.x/15381/2

(they also have builds in the $1000 and $1500 price range, but $500 is all you need to beat the consoles)

Component Item Price
Processor Intel Pentium E2180 $69.99
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L $99.99
Memory 2GB Kingston DDR2-800 $36.99
Graphics PNY GeForce 8800 GT $119.99
Storage Western Digital Caviar SE16 640GB $84.99
Optical Storage Samsung SH-S223Q $28.99
Audio Integrated $0
Enclosure Antec NSK 4480 w/380W PSU $79.95
Total   $520.89

My build is slightly different, I went with 4GB of RAM, and I overclocked the e2180 (which was easy) to 3ghz on the stock heatsink and it's running nice and cool, and I got a good deal ($140!) on a HD4850 video card.

Performance:

A dream.  Crysis on high settings running at 28FPS.  Bioshock well over 70FPS, max settings (looks way better than 360 version).  Assassin's Creed, Oblivion, Devil May Cry IV, GOW, Mass Effect all running great.

Simply put, the graphics for the same games are better than anything you'll see on PS3 / 360.

I'm looking forward to GTA IV - which will have longer draw distance, more detail and higher resolutions than consoles, FFXIII, and all the other multiplatform games :)  Not to mention PC exclusives are going to rock this holiday.

For putting it together, I used the guide here:

http://techreport.com/articles.x/13671

And for overclocking, I used this beginner's guide:

http://techreport.com/articles.x/13815

I like TR's build guides because they update them every 2 - 3 months, and they do a lot of research into each part.  If anyone knows any other good sites with build guides, link them up!

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

Around the Network

For anyone whos interested, theres a 2.8ghz Black Edition (Unlocked multiplier) CPU for $77 on Newegg and IMO thats a great deal for anyone inspired by this thread. IIRC its more powerful than the older pentium design even at 3ghz.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103289

Btw, nice build.

Tease.

Good price on that CPU! TR listed a similar (slightly slower version) in their "alternatives" section on the next page.

"The Athlon X2 5200+ likely outruns the Pentium E2180 in our primary config overall, but we find the socket's upgrade path considerably less appealing. Still, the Athlon is a decent choice for folks who don't overclock and have no interest in upgrading to a Core 2 Quad CPU down the road."

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

how abt gears of war? does it run smoother and nicer than 360?

Not interested.

Used to game on PC's got tired updating every 18 months.

It may not be an ideal solution but consoles at least give devs a stationary target as regard specs for a solid 5 years.

Around the Network

$520.89

So you obviously do not compare the price with the 360. (Hint 199$ hint)
And a Ps3 has some cool features like a BluRay drive that costs 200$ alone if you buy it for your PC. (And Dolby Digital and HDMI ... ) But yes you get pretty cool pcs meanwhile.

Its a fair price considering you need a PC to surf Vgchartz!

Tease.

Kyros said:
$520.89

So you obviously do not compare the price with the 360. (Hint 199$ hint)
And a Ps3 has some cool features like a BluRay drive that costs 200$ alone if you buy it for your PC. (And Dolby Digital and HDMI ... ) But yes you get pretty cool pcs meanwhile.

The PC has a feature called downloading HD movies.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Good for you.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Nice build.