By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Gaming PC for the price of a console, that outperforms a console :)

Those two will come under the combined price of your PS3 + notebook deal.

Eh yes but the nice thing about a Notebook is: You can take it with you Besides PCs build for audio/video playback simply are not very good if you do not want to put quite a bit of work into it. And gaming PCs will always have the disadvantage that you have to play at the desk. This is cool for RTS but somehow I graduated to the couch. Perhaps I get mellow with old age.

nd ecery time a PC gamer buys a game he saves 10 dollars over the PS3 gamers

True. PC games are cheaper. I wouldn't argue that consoles have a lower total cost of ownership than a PC over their lifetime. But they are much more convenient. The PS3 (and to a lesser extent the 360) is a first class media center that can compete with most Media Center PCs. And everything just works. Games simply work too and look amazing. PCs have 2 years technological advantage and the only game that looks decisively better is Crysis. You might switch on some higher resolutions and get a bit better textures in Call of Duty4 or Gears etc. but in the end its a wash. And now that almost all good PC developers publish (most of the time first) on consoles, console gaming really has PC gaming by the balls. This may be different in one or two years when the technological advantage of the average PC has outclassed PS3/360 and games will look much better there.

Around the Network

I will concede to your point that many developers are publishign their games to consoles as well right now. The only one worth a mention (and it's the best dev company imho) is Blizzard and only because its games simply can't be ported over to a console, not unless it had a mouse or 1-9 buttons likes a PC.

Given that I'm still rather confident that future games that we know are coming a long time from now, Half-Life 3 as an example and possibily DOOM 4, just won't be able to run on consoles. As soon as the power of the consoles begins to fall even more rapidly games will no longer be able to be ported over and thus you'll be left with PC exclusives again. Until the next generation of OMGWTF face melting graphics shows up that is.

P.S. I'll take my chair over my couch any day, I shelled out good money for it.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Kyros said:
Those two will come under the combined price of your PS3 + notebook deal.

Eh yes but the nice thing about a Notebook is: You can take it with you Besides PCs build for audio/video playback simply are not very good if you do not want to put quite a bit of work into it. And gaming PCs will always have the disadvantage that you have to play at the desk. This is cool for RTS but somehow I graduated to the couch. Perhaps I get mellow with old age.

I recently got myself a 46" plasma and hooked my PC up to it. It took no more effort than connecting the DVI->HDMI cable to the back of the screen and the optical out to the back of my reciever. While I have been in computing for 20+ years, I really can't see where the hassle is these days.

And as for playing at a desk, my wireless keyboard and mouse beg to differ. I sit the keyboard on my lap and use the mouse on the couch directly. Occationally I use some pillows to prop up my arm and mouse as I find this a bit more comfortable and if all that fails, I have a 360 controller anyway when games are more suited to it.

As for the cost, well it depends on your needs, so I'm not going to argue either way (my setup costs way more than a console, but is also significantly more powerful and flexable).

How about we put a price on the amount of time you spent researching and putting this trash together?

+$200

Note: If you have a gaming PC then the
PS3 is the console you want to get not a 360.
Bananas that you put together this machine so you could play.... 360 games?
F that.

Please stop posting these threads. They're nothing but a handful of PC elitists circlejerking about their SUPERIOR FORM OF GAMING and using more fuzzy math than Al Gore.

For example: The people acting like 1200p is somehow magically light-years better than 1080p. Hint: It's not. In fact, you'd probably have a hard time telling them apart if you saw them side-by-side.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Around the Network

That's kind of similar to what I did for my build and I recently put a 8800gt in it.

Garcian Smith said:

Please stop posting these threads. They're nothing but a handful of PC elitists circlejerking about their SUPERIOR FORM OF GAMING and using more fuzzy math than Al Gore.

For example: The people acting like 1200p is somehow magically light-years better than 1080p. Hint: It's not. In fact, you'd probably have a hard time telling them apart if you saw them side-by-side.

Hear that? That'd BenKenobi about to woop some ass (based on his writing in another thread). It's just as annoying that when somebody wants to talk about PC, console elitists come in and talk about how expensive it is (for example).

I think the whole resolution thing is going to be different with consoles and PC's. For example, the computer would be able to display the games in that resolution while consoles do a lower resolution and then try and upscale it. Also, you could use a regular LCD monitor or use your HDTV as a monitor for your PC.

This thread isn't inflammatory - except for maybe the title.

As someone who wants to build a PC capable of running games decently (not great; just decently) I see this as a thread with very real utility. There's nothing better than a thread with utility.

I'm bookmarking Tech Report and going back to them when I want to build my own rig.

BenKenobi88 said:
Geldorn said:

I see you decided to skip on Windows altogether, as well as a mouse and keyboard.

And you're still above the $399 that the PS3 costs. Tsk.

Now, build me a complete PC for $399 that includes the same hardware or better than the $399 PS3 and I'll be impressed.
More so when you beat the $199 Xbox 360.

Remember that Windows will need to be included in that price and that no, not everyone is a student. And no, HD movie downloads is not the same as having a Blu-ray drive.

No...but a lot of people here are students.

It costs me $10 to buy Windows Vista legally...so no, I would NOT have to include a $200 OS on my system, because then I'd just freaking get Wine or Ubuntu or something. Or wave that pirate flag.

Dude, where did you get Vista for $10 and what version is it?

Billy D said:
How about we put a price on the amount of time you spent researching and putting this trash together?

+$200

Note: If you have a gaming PC then the
PS3 is the console you want to get not a 360.
Bananas that you put together this machine so you could play.... 360 games?
F that.

Priceless.

For everythign else there's simple online reading skills.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835