By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft is not cut out to make hardware

blazinhead89 said:
M$ Should get SONY to make their Hardware :D and @ STAGE, The game side is debatable, its down to preference

Sony had all the top 3rd party games known and unknown. Their library was 10 times larger than the competition and they had far more fighting games. Xbox had very few games. The choices were amazing.

Around the Network
obieslut said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
obieslut said:

The curse of RROD lingers in the back of consumers minds it has halved over time from 33% down to 16%. The widespread problem has been reduced but it has an adverse effect on X360 HW sales due to internet and word of mouth.

I wonder if MS will be in console generation next time round? I would say it is 50-50. If only MS get a reliable company to make consoles for them and MS just focuses on software. pluss i think microsft should get rid of the xbox/microsoft brand because next gen people are not going to buy the new console because the curse of the 360 will be having a party in the back of the consumers minds.

Stop with this nonsense. The original Xbox had less failure rates than the PS2. Microsoft knows how to make hardware, they just didn't need to rush it out the door like they did to beat Sony to the punch. Get it through your head. The Xbox had quality hardware and it and still sucked because it lacked games, unlike the PS2 which had a army of amazing games and inferior hardware. The roles have been reversed this gen.

the xbox brand for games has progressed and in sales it has progressed, but in quality it has gone backwards, and nobody can say anythingelse about it. to do so would ever make then a blind fanboy, or seriously delutional take your pick.

the first xbox was very reliable very hardy and didnt scratch your disk and get rrod. the new xbox does. so if that is not going backwards i dont know what is and after this fumble with the 360 i would only trust the new console if a diff company came in and did the hardware for them.

The Xbox brand has progressed as far as their gameplan and knowledge of how market works the  is concerned. The hardware took a nose dive this gen. They gained a larger library and far more developer respect than they had last gen. They have far more games and they will surpass the sales of the orignal Xbox.

The new Xbox was rushed. The 720 will most likely be worked on ten times harder to be able to go up against the PS4. The Xbox 360 isn't going backwards. The 360 was only a console, but the respect for the brand has sky rocketted. The rate of purchases for a 360 is far more impressive in its time than the normal xbox. Within the next two years the 360 will have 2 times more of the sales of last gen. That is what you call moving forward.

forevercloud3000 said:
Squilliam said:
Sony took 3 generations to get it right.

Microsoft made a reliable console right out of the gate.

I don't think I need to say any more.

/Thread.

took 3 generations to get it right? What do you mean. Yes, the PS2 has a small failure rate, about 12%, but no where near 360 percentage. The PS1 was a SUPER sturdy system, that even after a royal thrashing the thing just would not die. The slim PS2 work perfectly. The PS3 is just as good as the slim PS2 and PS1 in that department.

So that means there was only one incedent with faulty Sony hardware. The PS1 and PS3 success rate outnumbers the PS2's failure rate so in all Sony still can make great hardware.2~1

As for MS's Xbox, it was sturdy too, there were no hardware malfunctions that I know of. Then they rushed the 360 out the gate to get the jump on the market leader, sony. The system is crappily made above all else. That leaves MS with 1~1

Sony wins this one too I am afraid Squilliam....

http://www.zen8750.zen.co.uk/stats.htm Average failure time 17 months after launch. So a lot of people could have been out of pocket on launch PS2s. Since you know, you're comparing launch Xbox 360s to launch PS2s its only fair.

For the PS1 its all anecdotes but what I do know is that the N64s are vastly more reliable than the PS1. You didn't have to run them upside down or anything...

Microsoft still wins.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
forevercloud3000 said:
Squilliam said:

/Thread.

took 3 generations to get it right? What do you mean. Yes, the PS2 has a small failure rate, about 12%, but no where near 360 percentage. The PS1 was a SUPER sturdy system, that even after a royal thrashing the thing just would not die. The slim PS2 work perfectly. The PS3 is just as good as the slim PS2 and PS1 in that department.

So that means there was only one incedent with faulty Sony hardware. The PS1 and PS3 success rate outnumbers the PS2's failure rate so in all Sony still can make great hardware.2~1

As for MS's Xbox, it was sturdy too, there were no hardware malfunctions that I know of. Then they rushed the 360 out the gate to get the jump on the market leader, sony. The system is crappily made above all else. That leaves MS with 1~1

http://www.zen8750.zen.co.uk/stats.htm Average failure time 17 months after launch. So a lot of people could have been out of pocket on launch PS2s. Since you know, you're comparing launch Xbox 360s to launch PS2s its only fair.

For the PS1 its all anecdotes but what I do know is that the N64s are vastly more reliable than the PS1. You didn't have to run them upside down or anything...

Microsoft still wins.

I fail to see how that graph helps. it is showing the average cause of failure within a 17 month time frame. The list is fairly small to try and get any consistent data from it. It is not even comparing the amount of un failed systems to the failed ones, which is how you get the percentage.

I never had a problem with my PS1, I heard no news of a high fail rate. The whole N64 being more reliable is a moot point seeing as we are comparing the XBOX line vs the PS line of consoles. N64's rate means nothing to that. Every console is going to have some form of a failure rate, but it shouldn't ever be as high as 33%, thats like the failure rate of all 3 PS systems combined.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Squilliam said:

/Thread.

Actually, Sony took 3 gens to get it worse it seems. PS2 > PS1 > Genesis > PS3.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Around the Network
rocco said:
Its nintendo the one who doesnt know shit about hardware. A 21st century product sporting 20th century hardware aint really the smartest move now is it?

Unless I'm missing your sarcasm, that has to be the strangest comment I've ever seen on this site:

Nintendo raised its annual profit forecast 26 per cent on improved Wii and DS sales and a stronger US dollar.

Citing strong Wii and DS sales along with an improved US dollar, Nintendo raised its fiscal year profit forecast from 325 billion yen ($3 billion) to 410 billion yen (US$3.8 billion), an increase of 26 per cent. This represents an increase of 60 percent from the previous fiscal year.

Nintendo also revised its hardware estimates and expects to sell 26.5 million Wii and 30.3 million DS for the fiscal year, up from 25 and 28 million respectively.

For software, Nintendo raised Wii software to 186 million units from 177 million units and DS software to 197 million units from 187 million units.

Yeah , it was a dumb move, they should have designed a system that made it either impossible to ever be profitable or that is just starting to make a tiny profit in its third year. {This is SARCASM!}

forevercloud3000 said:
Squilliam said:
forevercloud3000 said:
Squilliam said:

/Thread.

Microsoft still wins.

I fail to see how that graph helps. it is showing the average cause of failure within a 17 month time frame. The list is fairly small to try and get any consistent data from it. It is not even comparing the amount of un failed systems to the failed ones, which is how you get the percentage.

I never had a problem with my PS1, I heard no news of a high fail rate. The whole N64 being more reliable is a moot point seeing as we are comparing the XBOX line vs the PS line of consoles. N64's rate means nothing to that. Every console is going to have some form of a failure rate, but it shouldn't ever be as high as 33%, thats like the failure rate of all 3 PS systems combined.

Anecdotes Anecdotes Anecdotes. The PS1/PS2 were relatively unreliable to the sturdy Nintendo competition but theres no data as to how unreliable. So theres an impasse.

The PS3s reliability rate is surrounded in mythology. Don't you think its funny that a console with a HDD has a supposed failure rate less than the accepted failure rate of HDDs? (2%) if I remember rightly. So perhaps getting the PS3 failure rate correct would be a good idea- 5% per year is about right considering the 2% HDD failure rate, and the fact that failures do happen. Its within the realm of consumer electronics anyway and vastly ahead of PCs/Laptops etc.

The Xbox 360s reliability is also surrounded in mythology of the negative kind. So I would give an Xbox 360 Arcade Falcon an 8% failure rate while using the accepted 10% for the Falcon with HDD.

Tease.

the zune isn't reliable either,

my before was stolen got tons of blue dots in the screen and some coworkers had the same problem :/

Hmm... I think Microsoft will be able to get a strong 2nd place next gen. They shouldn't give up. Also, I think RRoD cost them about 10-15M in hardware sales. Hurt them very severely imo. Microsoft learned from Xbox mistakes, and if they learn from 360 mistakes as well they should be golden next time around.

Well we almost went the whole month without out some fanatical users going lawl RROD and making a thread about it. It's August 31st, man they were cutting it close this time. You're crazy if you truly think MS is going to leave and nor should you want them too. MS has made Sony upgrade my PSN and reduce the price and for that im happy.

Consoles Owned: Sega Genesis, NES, PS2 (RIP) N64, Xbox, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii

"In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations, and epochs it is rule."

~ Friedrich Nietzsche