By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you buy games new or used?

I am very discriminating of used games and I typically like to have EVERY insert. My SNES games still mostly have the Nintendo power inserts and such.

Having said that 90% of my games are new about 10% used. Further cutting that up, 60% new at full price 30% new at reduced price 5% ebay and other auction sites 5% certified complete used games

I usually only buy used when I'm not sure, need something to fill in the time or want it but don't think it;s worth the full cost.

Around the Network

Some new. A lot more used.

Gamestop -- while we all sometimes hate them -- has the wonderful try for seven days policy. It is great when you are unsure about a game. It has saved me a time or three.

Mike from Morgantown

(EB used to have an even better policy -- 10 days on used or NEW. People would "rent" systems. 8*>)

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Used if I dont care too much for the title. Mario Metroid any fighting game.
But stuff like Zelda or Fire Emblem or any anime game new if I can find it.

I buy new. I would rather support the developer and publisher than Gamestop.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Last gen mostly used, this gen mostly new so far, but now I plan to go back and get lots of old games that i missed 2nd hand for cheap

Around the Network

I make it a point to buy a game that's nice and fresh. I dunno, I'm sort of a completest and a perfectionist... so for that reason it would seem strange to have a title that has already been bought, used, and returned.

I buy them new, or used. I usually only buy used games from my local game store because they sell them for good prices and they make sure the games are taken care of.

My blog: TsalagiDragon on Wordpress

My online store: Tsalagi Dreams 

My Twitter: @Scary4Eva

FishyJoe said:
Mummelmann said:
New, always. People treat DVD's, CD's and game discs like shit here, odds are that a used disc of any kind won't even work.
There was an old videoshop here that rented out the games for 2-3 years and then sold them at full price...
And; yes, people bought them (they were mostly NES and SNES games that don't wear out that badly, but still).

At the rental place I go to, I think they have a disc repair machine because the used copies I buy have no scratches on them usually.

Gamestop has a 7 Day return policy, they'll give you a different copy, store credit, or a new game with no questions asked.  I do it all the time.  I usually go through 2 or 3 games before keeping one.  I've bought hundreds of used games and never had a scratched one.  I've gotten the cash back once or twice.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

i get em new

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

I read somwhere a couple years ago that GameStop was making more than 50% of their profits from their used titles. Of course, the profit margins on their used games are likely much higher than on new ones, but I think its fair to say that a *lot* of people buy used games these days. A pretty significant amount of space in games stores is devoted to used titles -- and that's a clear indicator that it sells well.

I buy all my CD and DVD games used, because they can be resurfaced.  I buy used BluRay games if I can see the disc beforehand and its flawless.   I've never actually seen a scratched BD, probably due to their coating material, but I can imagine that, once they get scratched, they're done for.