By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Anyone remeber when everyone said WII was a fad

Aquietguy said:
Xen said:

It may beat the competition in sales, but the competition has the better games. The PS3 lineup is much better, not to talk about the 360 lineup. The day the Wii is well supported by third parties and supported with DECENT new games from Nintendo I'll get one... very easy to find here since they barely sell.

Could it be that the competition has had 3 plus years of serious third party support. Where as the wii has had maybe a year. If that. But in a couple of years you will need a new argument against the wii.

I won't need a new argument, if that be the case I'll have a Wii.

Around the Network
dib8rman said:
@crumas

No that's not the question, the question is "how large is that group?"

So far it seems larger than the HD install base, but time will tell, when people look at the Wii and call it a fad they believe that there will be a huge drop off and as it's said here, "negative sales."

@bdbdbd

To each thier own, if thats how they enjoy gaming then that's them, if a person likes something they will try it. Responsibility for this doesn't fall on the consumer it falls on the producer, the producer is responsible to overcome these marketing sections through innovation.

Pikachu isn't a name like Mario but boy is the yellow rat famous,

Actually, I was making a sad attempt at humor.  IMO, most people calling the will a "fad" meant that the console was selling well at the time but would soon drop in sales as everyone realized the new console's controls were just a "gimick".  Well, as it turned out, the new controls were not just a gimick and the Wii has sustained very high sales for over a year, so the word "fad" as used by those who called it that most likely doesn't apply.

It's amazing how easily those calling the Wii a fad were able to tap into the fears of Wii fans with just one hot-button word, "fad".  My favorite hot-button words/phrases for the other platforms are "Edsel" (PS3) and "Mission Impossible tape deck" (360).

Whatever the Wii is, be it fad or be it phenomenon, I haven't felt compelled to buy one yet. It might also come from the fact that I already feel like too much of a nerd having both the 360 and PS3. Twos company but three's a crowd.

AceRock owns one PS3, one PS Vita, and one PS4.

i think the wii is more of a stepping stone than a fad. it will continue to improve its third party support and mayb also online features. next nintendo console should be closer to the others in terms of graphics

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

blunty51 said:
reask said:
I still think it's a fad.
Even if it sells 10 million a week there is no games on it I want to play.

Yea, it's a fad because there's no games you want to play on it. Totally related and relevant.

Actually, its more relevent than you think. Just about anything that has been popular in the past half century has had people claiming it was a fad. It doesn't matter how popular something becomes, if the speaker doesn't like it he will call it a fad. Let's face it, some things that just about anyone would agree were fads were very popular at their height.

When you think about it, what is there to distiguish a fad from the normal rising and falling popular of anything? Very little. So this vague, derogitory term gets slapped on just about everything that experiences success.

Around the Network

Saying that Wii is a fad because you dont see is as a product that interests you is a bit silly, Wii proved since the launch that it is a phenomenon that have changed Gaming and opened it for new people , which is great. I dont see a problem if you don't like it stick with the 360, but dont be ignorant.

Using some people logic one could argue that Blu Ray is a fad...

11ht11 said:
well not everyone lol

but yeah i remember when ps3/360 owners called it a "fad"

me too...  before launch of the wii ...

finalsquall said:
The Wii is still a Fad... Just a longer Fad than others :P

that's just so funny.

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

i remember the days when people used to say "ill enjoy planning the next super smash on my ps3" those words brought me nightmares ! and its one of the main reasons why i hate sony fanboys !

The real fad is the console that doesn’t make money ;) you figure(sp?) out what console/s they/it are/is.

Wii is a fad just like the DS

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(