By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Anyone remeber when everyone said WII was a fad

Xen said:
OGY said:

The whole fad thing is annoying cause the Wii was initially doubted then continuelly doubted and is still doubted today, all whilst it makes the others look stupid in the sales charts.

Fortunately there is a selected group here, like myslef that bought the Wii day one and never had any doubts. Its a great feeling to be rewarded with the number one selling console when all of us never saw it coming.

It may beat the competition in sales, but the competition has the better games. The PS3 lineup is much better, not to talk about the 360 lineup. The day the Wii is well supported by third parties and supported with DECENT new games from Nintendo I'll get one... very easy to find here since they barely sell.

This classification of the Wii not having good games is BS. ITs your opinion so i will respect it, but i sense your needs for graphics and not gameplay. A game like Mario Galaxy is on a level unmatched by any PS3 or 360 game.

The Wii was always going to find it difficult to be supported seriously by the big companies that make these so called DECENT games your referring to.

I imagine eventually the third party support you want will emerge on the wii, simply because of the continued sales the Wii will have and because of MP and how it opens up so many new doors for developers to make original and current genres better. 

BTW where is here, Im interested to know, Im in Australia and the Wii can be bought easily these days, but I had trouble getting Wii Fit straight up.

Nintendo = Innovation = Wii

Around the Network
brawl4life said:
The wii is a fad like condoms ....but instead of preventing stds and pregnancy it prevents boredom . And like condoms its not for all or 100percent guaranteed

Does that mean if I put too much stress on my Wii it will break.

Nintendo = Innovation = Wii

The more succesful it is, the more the hardcores will say is a fad. Is ike believing that if they say something over and over again it will magically be true.

To all the "gamers" that say that after 3 years the wii is still a fad: you make me sad. You are missing a unique new generation because of your fanatism.

@reask "But I still have no interest in it with it's current line up.

That to me makes it a fad sorry."

Then the xbox360 is fad TO ME because I have no interest in their line up

Never mix your preferences with reality. It makes you look dumb.

I thought Every1 agreed it was a Fad :P

I kid, I kid,

Around the Network
Xen said:

It may beat the competition in sales, but the competition has the better games. The PS3 lineup is much better, not to talk about the 360 lineup. The day the Wii is well supported by third parties and supported with DECENT new games from Nintendo I'll get one... very easy to find here since they barely sell.

Could it be that the competition has had 3 plus years of serious third party support. Where as the wii has had maybe a year. If that. But in a couple of years you will need a new argument against the wii.

I bought it on launch day beat TP the following February then i was done with it.... in my house hold its a fad and a wasted oppurtunity for some potentially great gaming

reask said:

@bdbdbd

She is 10.

fps games are my favourite little or none on it.

I can play wii type games on 360 such as braid.

I done a thread  yesterday called wii is great oppurtunity for hitting hardcore gamers.

Sega head: Wii is “great opportunity for hitting hardcore gamers”

Still is'nt happening.

Anyway I will beg to differ as I could be wrong.

But I still have no interest in it with it's current line up.

That to me makes it a fad sorry.

So a fad is more about your personal taste. In that case the PS3 and 360 are fads to me since I'm not a fan of shooters. And their line up of games don't appeal to me. Too many of the same shooter after shooter. The number of party games on the wii is no comparison to the number of shooters on the 360.

AnarchyWest said:
reask said:
I still think it's a fad.
Even if it sells 10 million a week there is no games on it I want to play.

Look, fellas, this is all well and good. I mean that: I strongly encourage people to express their tastes on this forum. Perhaps particularly people who prefer the 360 or PS3; there are less of them, and we need more.

But the word "fad" is not a piece of playdough. It cannot mean whatever you want it to mean. The word "fad" has become -- not just in these above quoted posts but in many places on gaming forums -- just a general pejorative with a vague meaning along the lines of "I don't like it and the things I like will surge back to prominence."

That isn't what the word fad means. It has an actual, specific meaning. The fact that you don't personally like it (which again, is totally fine) does not make something a fad. If the Wii were selling 10 million consoles a week for an extended period of time, that would by definition not make the Wii a fad, whether it had 0 games you wanted to play or 1000.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Im disgusted by some idiotic posts in this thread. Believing the Wii is a fad when reality proves the contrary leads me to believe that people are mentally unstable and do not posses proper spatial-time orientation.

I'm very sad about a bunch of immature "adults" that need to dismiss the Wii because is clearly annihilating the competition. Wii may or may not have great games FOR YOU but it does for the rest of the people and that's why they are buying it. Stop with this crap already learn to accept the truth or go see a psychologist.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies