By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What If LBP sucks?

lol don't tell me that people are actually excited for LBP?

Around the Network
mesoteto said:
i think the people will make it or break it, personally i don't want to spend 5 hours building a map that will be done in fifteen, that is 5 hours i could be playing a game and not making one

Except "making" is one of the best parts of "playing" when it comes to this title.

From Edge Online's recent hands on impressions:

LBP is broken into three discrete modes: Play, Create and Share. Initially, you’ll have to unlock Create by playing through the first few pre-made levels of Play (there are 50 in total). Sackboy and Popit are the lynchpins that tie everything together, both modes using them as the means of interaction, with Create allowing him to switch between flying about the level to place items and dropping back down to the ground to test them. (Share handles precisely what you’d expect.)

Hands-on, Create is not a million miles away from a simple art package. We start by selecting a material and brush shape from Popit, and are soon drawing a thick swathe of shiny metal plating on to the environment. Using the right stick, we alter the size of the brush as we go, and then break this into chunks with judicious stabs of the eraser. When we switch to test mode, our strange metal landscape falls to the floor, rocked back and forth by the physics engine, before coming to rest (you can use ‘dark matter’ to glue blocks in the air, but the designers rarely do).

We’re left with a pile of chunky rubble, but within seconds we’re tugging it about to form a promising assault course, and Healey is already showing us how to build working motors from a few metal blocks and a cog, while technical director Alex Evans stops by to offer instruction on the serious business of adding belch effects to stone lumps to make granite whoopee cushions. Even without this top-quality help, we’re quickly finding things we want to do, just by pulling objects from Popit and trying them out.

The results are hardly Yoshi’s Island, but within five minutes we’ve turned a blank canvas into a playground we could happily mess about in for hours, tweaking platforms and playing with the physics properties of different materials. And we’ve done it all without thinking – the design emerging from the ease with which we moved between building and testing.

The emphasis throughout is on enjoyment rather than speed. “We’ve put the priority on making the game fun to use,” says Evans (pictured). “People think you’ll be able to make a Miyamoto-style level in five minutes. Not quite. You can make a Miyamoto level, but it will probably take all weekend. Our effort has been to make sure that weekend’s fun.

Krill said:
WessleWoggle said:
Krill said:

I wasn't sure what to make of LBP when I first saw it. It looked like a new gaming category and I wasn't convinced it would work. Having seen some of the game in play with demo teasers, it looks more and more like a dynamic platformer - like Super Mario World with better graphics, sound, more user input regarding design and more fiendish puzzles. Even the characters are cute. If the gameplay and physics of the game work, and it looks like they do, this game can't fail.

Umm, sure it can. What if people get bored of playing it quick? What if it's not a game you want to play again and again?

If the gameplay is good and the game has near infinite possibilities for user generated content, you think people will get bored quick? Get real!

The same can be said for just about any game with a level editor. Forge on Halo 3 has unlimited possiblities. Timesplitters 2 level editor has infinite possiblitites. Heck, Doom Builder has more possibilities then all 3 of those games combined.

SSBB even has infinite possibilites in its level editor.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Onimusha12 said:
It will be good but will sell modestly. Most likely sales of around 2m units or so in its lifetime.

How is 2M modest? 2M is a massive success for all games (apart from big budget sequels like GTA4, MGS4) let alone a new IP. A team of 37 developed this game. This is certainly not a massive budget game. 2M would secure massive $$$. 

Shadowblind said:
Krill said:
WessleWoggle said:
Krill said:

I wasn't sure what to make of LBP when I first saw it. It looked like a new gaming category and I wasn't convinced it would work. Having seen some of the game in play with demo teasers, it looks more and more like a dynamic platformer - like Super Mario World with better graphics, sound, more user input regarding design and more fiendish puzzles. Even the characters are cute. If the gameplay and physics of the game work, and it looks like they do, this game can't fail.

Umm, sure it can. What if people get bored of playing it quick? What if it's not a game you want to play again and again?

If the gameplay is good and the game has near infinite possibilities for user generated content, you think people will get bored quick? Get real!

The same can be said for just about any game with a level editor. Forge on Halo 3 has unlimited possiblities. Timesplitters 2 level editor has infinite possiblitites. Heck, Doom Builder has more possibilities then all 3 of those games combined.

SSBB even has infinite possibilites in its level editor.

Yeah but with the kind of level editor LBP has, you can create games that arne't even platformers anymore. They resemble them in some fasion but are complete different.

I've made turn based RPGs in a game like this, racing games, rythem based games... you name it.

There is way more that can be done.

The only real downside is that it appears you HAVE to use the sackboy as your avatar and can't make your own.  (Not sure how enemy and boss building works.)

Around the Network

^ Or, to put it more nerdily, LBP's infinity of possibilities is much bigger than the infinities of those other games (except maybe Doom Builder, which I don't know enough to talk about).

[edit:  And since I'm at the top of a page, I might as well mention that I dislike inflammatory baseless hypotheticals like the OP.  Or, to put it less nerdily, What if your mom?]

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

mesoteto said:
i think the people will make it or break it, personally i don't want to spend 5 hours building a map that will be done in fifteen, that is 5 hours i could be playing a game and not making one

That's the whole "I don't buy engines, I buy games" argument, which I agree with. However, Sony fanboys would tell you that the game actually has a full single player game built in.

However, if that's the case, and the single player game sucks, then to me, the game sucks. That's the sum of its judgement to me. The single player content, and maybe the local multiplayer.

That said, even though this game is probably gonna be exactly what you and I expect it to be, it'll still get rave 10/10 reviews, just because previewers and reviewers are the same people, and previewers have painted themselves into a corner with all the hype they've spread. They no longer feel they have the right to criticize the game, so it'll get near perfect scores everywhere.

I'm sure it'll be a fun little game though. Like Nintendogs. Expect it to get the Nintendogs treatment from critics, and fans. For a while, it'll be the best thing ever and get great reviews. Then it will get old. Then there will be a thousand devs emulating the game for DS and such. Then it will be made bitter fun of, and looked down upon by "hardcore" gamers. This isn't exactly Diablo II. No matter how high the ratings are, some people just aren't gonna like this. Like Boom Blox.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

This same exact thread was made by someone else, people hate LBP atleast nintendo fanboys I mean, sorry let me not categorize anyone.

People that cant play the game do.

mM

I would be very pissed.

Proud owner of all three consoles and handhelds.

Gamertag: MrKetchup911 (Add me up)

leo-j said:
This same exact thread was made by someone else, people hate LBP atleast nintendo fanboys I mean, sorry let me not categorize anyone.

People that cant play the game do.

Oh yeah, if this game was on the 360, I know the Anime-Avatar crowd would just be itching to spend their 60 dollars on it.

Believe me when I tell you, despite your apparent attitude, there are a few people with and without a PS3 that don't want to play this because of a reason other than "It's a PS3 exclusive."

Not everyone wants to play Galaxy, not everyone wants to play Fable 2, not everyone wants to play Boom Blox, and not everyone wants to play Twilight Princess, and not everyone wants to play Diablo 3. People have different tastes in gaming. That doesnt' mean that people "hate" LBP(though I'm sure a few do), but generalizing everyone who isn't necessarily interested in the game as a PS3 hater, isn't right. I love Disgaea 3(Yes, I've played it quite a bit), I can't wait for Resistance 2, and hell, I'd even give Killzone 2 a shot, even though the first one sucked. MGS4 was one of the best games this gen. LBP doesn't appeal to me just yet, and it's not because I "hate the PS3." Even if I did hate the PS3, that wouldn't be a reason for my non-hype for this game. I wouldn't buy it on 360, I wouldn't buy it on DS, I wouldn't buy it on Wii or PS2. I'm not trying to marginalize the game, it's just not my type of game, and there's no way in hell I would be jealous of someone having this game, lol, if I wanted to play it, I could.

....and yes, this topic is an unnecessary repost.

I was wrong before about a game. GTAIV. I played it, and reviewed it, gave it a 9.5/10. If I'm wrong about LBP, I'll do the same.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.