By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Prediction: The Xbox360 will be ahead of the PS3, 7 of the next 8 weeks.

The xbox won three straight weeks. SO WHAT!!! The PS3 beat it the previous 7-1/2 months. You actually think that a $199 Arcade will make any difference. The arcade version is worthless. You can't play on line, you can't update the the system or games and you can't even save game progress. People are realising the xbox is a rushed, cheaply made, stripped down version of the PS3. You can buy any xbox and to get it to do what the PS3 does off the shelf, you have to spend more than what the PS3 costs. Not to mention the $10 a month you have to pay for online playing. Over the supposed 7 year cycle that microsoft claims, that is $420 extra. But don't worry, your x-box 360 will have the infamous "ring of death" long before that seventh year comes. I wonder how many of the X-box's 20 million is sales are replacements for ones that have died. Don't forget there are less that 13 million x-box live users, where are the remaining 7 million?
My prediction is the PS3 will pass the x-box by the middle of 2009. After that microsoft will abandon the console industry. They have lost billions on the 360 and there is no end in sight.

Around the Network
slimeattack said:

Are you forgetting that most people who want Gears of War 2 have already bought a 360 for it? Are you forgetting that the PS3 has some excellent shooters coming up? Are you forgetting that those hardcore GTA fans have already bought GTA IV?

Give me a break. The 360 is great, but it can't beat the PS3 even when it has excellent games, better online and better price. Look at last year's WW holiday season.

Here we go again, the weird thought that people seem to think that the only people buying the sequel would have bought the original (and thus the console already). I know many people whom I have convinced to buy a 360 because of the awesomeness of Gears 1, I'm sure in the lead up to gears 2, those who have played Gears 1 on a friends console or who just want to get straight into the sequel knowing gears 1 plot wasn't that good will buy a 360 when a pack comes out with Gears 2 included. Ditto the people who played Gears 1 on a mates console and want nothing else on the 360 (why would they have already bought one when you know Gears 2 will be packed in with 360's at its release?).

By your logic, Motorstorm and R2 won't move consoles either, because everyone who buys them would have the original and thus a PS3 already.

Honestly, you've put a target on your back by immediately using the label X-bots. Now you come up with logic that is both illogical AND puts down the PS3's exclusives as well.

Gears 2 and R2 are both going to be exceptional games, Gears 2 will move more consoles because of what it is (sequel to one of the best selling games this generation, a 3rdPS so not "yet another FPS" and it's the flagship title for this generation of xbox). R2 won't sell as many consoles because sony failed to provide it with the "flagship PS3 title" that would make it a competitive system seller, it's just a really good launch title (i.e CoD2 for the 360). Whilst people were saying "GEARS IS AWESOME!!!" when Gears launched, when Resistance 1 launched it got "Resistance is great! but I'm waiting for FFXIII, GOW3 and MGS4, the heavy hitters...". You have only yourselves to blame PS3 loyalists.

By the way, interesting how your sig clearly shows you're a troll (1 ban and you telling people to stop trolling whilst misrepresenting a guess as fact).

Anyway, at OP:

I don't think 360 will be ahead of PS3 for the next 7 of 8 weeks. I would say it'll be for at least the next 3, then after that who knows.

@ Slimeattack

You will be lucky if you escape a ban after using the term 'x-bot'

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

too little information i know, i can't tell wether u r right or not

kjj4t9rdad said:
The xbox won three straight weeks. SO WHAT!!! The PS3 beat it the previous 7-1/2 months.

He's making a prediction based on vgchartz numbers, he's not saying that is guaranteed to happen. Based on history if you had won the previous week, you are likely to win the following, that's why there are more consecutive weeks of win as opposed to win one lose one.

You actually think that a $199 Arcade will make any difference.

In australia, that puts it as cheaper then the Wii. If you're a thrifty consumer and your child wants a games console, what are you going to buy? You forget that the lack of knowledge of the everyday parent means that they won't give a crap about a HDD.

The arcade version is worthless. You can't play on line, you can't update the the system or games and you can't even save game progress. People are realising the xbox is a rushed, cheaply made, stripped down version of the PS3.

Heh, how does an item that gets released earlier be a cheaply made copy of another item. By the way, just because you want to believe people are "realising" it doesn't make it true, I mean, you said it yourself, last 3 weeks right?

You can buy any xbox and to get it to do what the PS3 does off the shelf, you have to spend more than what the PS3 costs.

Please do go on, I mean we PS3 owners had to pay for built-in wifi out of the box, whilst the 360 owners have the option of paying for a wireless adapter (still below PS3 price if you add it in) OR they could run a cable if it suited them better. Rechargeable battery packs still don't make it more than PS3. HDMI cable is around $15 on ebay, but wait the PS3 40gb doesn't even come with HDMI cables.

Not to mention the $10 a month you have to pay for online playing.

It's actually more like $6 a month, in AUD.

Over the supposed 7 year cycle that microsoft claims, that is $420 extra. But don't worry, your x-box 360 will have the infamous "ring of death" long before that seventh year comes.

And when the PS3 breaks after year 1, you'll be paying the $100+ to get it sent in and repaired.

I wonder how many of the X-box's 20 million is sales are replacements for ones that have died. Don't forget there are less that 13 million x-box live users, where are the remaining 7 million?

Grasping at straws now. Whereas we're screwed if our PS3 breaks after year 1, 360's are covered under RROD for 3 years. and unless I am mistaken, even launch consoles are still covered at this point (Nov 2005 and now Aug 2008). So I doubt many if any had to buy another console. By the way, does that mean that 14.6 million PS3 owners are playing online right now? How come I find it hard to connect to games outside of the 2 most popular right now?

My prediction is the PS3 will pass the x-box by the middle of 2009. After that microsoft will abandon the console industry. They have lost billions on the 360 and there is no end in sight.

Prettttttyyyyy sure MS and Nintendo have started to see the light at the end of the Net Loss tunnel. Sony aren't even close to that yet. Hence no price cut.

Sorry for the double post, but I just had to rebut this heap of fail....

Around the Network

Slimeattack, you are very sad. You need to lay off the speed.

At this point, it will be a strong battle. 360 will win a couple, Ps3 will win a couple weeks, Wii sitting top and pretty.

But.....then again.... "wii doesn't deserve success." loloololololo

Color me skeptical. I seriously doubt the bump in Japan is going to last for more than a week (Vesperia doesn't strike me as the "has legs" type of game). Even then, both consoles are so anemic in Japan that outselling one another there usually amounts to a comparative blip on the global radar.

The price cut in the U.S. will likely boost the 360 there for a few weeks, but I'm not convinced that'll be enough to put it over the PS3's lead in the Others and Japan regions for more than a few weeks. I'll compromise with you, though: the 360 will beat the PS3 worldwide for half of the next eight weeks.

Anybody realizes, everytime a console is bashed on the internet, it ends up selling more than the bashers console? That's why the Wii is destroying Ps360. And come next week, the 360 will beat the Ps3 for a 4th week if Sony doesn't restock. (what if it beats the Ps3 while it's stock?!)

Stan85 said:
Actually... Sony needs to drop the price and release good software... but they are thinking at profit,so no price drop this year...And i don`t think that Resistance 2 is the system seller Sony needs...LBP and Motorstorm ...*nope*... The real system seller is God of War 3...in 2009,so...YES,360 at 199 with Gears 2 is a succes...Fable 2 will sell good also... So i think the xbox 360 will be ahead of the ps3

God of War 3 eh?

God of War 1 sales - 3.20 Million

Gran Turismo 3 sales - 14.87 Million

The real system seller in 2009 is Gran Turismo 5, not God of War 3

Doesn't really matter much... This year was supposed to be about Sony Domination...

Sony has outsold 360 almost every week so in that sense it is dominate. Sony has not even really come close to the Wii... And, it is not like Sony's sales are doubling or tripling 360. When Sony was ahead the gaps were usually only 30-70K world wide (Except around Sony's big releases like MGS4 and the GT5 Preview)...

The reality is that both consoles are currently in a dog fight for 2nd spot in the generation... Both consoles have some really good titles coming out from now until Christmas. The start of the real battle begins in September. 360 is releasing 7 titles that are either timed exclusive or fully exclusive whereas Sony is releasing just one in September... For October, November, and December the exclusives look pretty even in numbers and quality...

No matter what happens, the next few weeks and Christmas will probably solidify either 360 or vault PS3 as finishing at least second in the generation. In the end it won't matter much as both have enough loyalty and install base to keep getting AAA games throughout the generation.