By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Still Buying From the Virtual Console?

Pretty interesting how people judge the games and their prices. I would be much more happier in paying 5 Euros from Super Mario Bros. than 70 Euros from NHL-07. In fact i would pay more gladly 70 from SMB, than 5 from NHL...
It think it's the fun factor that counts.

Anyway i see VC and its pricing as a service, which offers something for everyone, for a reasonable price, not as something that offers everything for everyone for (practically) free. Of course, i wouldn't mind if games were cheaper, but the games i eventually buy from VC, have reasonable price. I am not planning to collect the whole series just to show off my friends, or just to feel good about it, i buy them for playing them and i think that this has been the original purpose of VC from the beginning.
And the idea of not changing the games from original is great.

I have also played with PC emulators and it sucks. Never again. They even don't feel like being the same games.

I don't yet have Wii online, but i am currently buying a wi-fi router from internet auction for my Wii and DS, and after i get Wii online, i am planning to buy Kid Icarus, Ice Climber, punch-out and propably SMB (this is how i use my first points card).

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network

I dont know what it is but I cant help but download the n64 games. kinda like im collecting them, even though i dont really play them.

But lets face it, where else can you download classic nintendo games? PSN, nope! XBLA, nope! I find that most of the best old games are nintendo games.

call me Aaronbunny!

Wii code: 6993 4542 2457 6182. plz add me Im a wiily gd friend

azzer100 said:
I dont know what it is but I cant help but download the n64 games. kinda like im collecting them, even though i dont really play them.

But lets face it, where else can you download classic nintendo games? PSN, nope! XBLA, nope! I find that most of the best old games are nintendo games.

Seriously.  N64 is widely considered a flop, yet it had many of the best games of its generation.  All five N64 titles currently available on the Virtual Console are fantastic games, and the best $50 you could spend if you have a Wii.  Sure, Twilight Princess is great, but if you never had an N64, you could get OoT plus 4 more awesome games for the same price.  :)

Entroper said:
azzer100 said:

Seriously. N64 is widely considered a flop, yet it had many of the best games of its generation. All five N64 titles currently available on the Virtual Console are fantastic games, and the best $50 you could spend if you have a Wii. Sure, Twilight Princess is great, but if you never had an N64, you could get OoT plus 4 more awesome games for the same price. :)

N64 was not a flop, it sold 32,930,000 consoles worldwide. Compare to 100,000,000 PS1's. While it did well in American, its success in Europe and Japan was mediocre.

GC and Xbox barely managed to cross 21,000,000 and 25,000,000 respectively.

N64 had 50+ million sellers that sold a total of 145 million carts among each other.

Even though the GC performed so badly,  nitendo still earned a profit from it.

with over 40 million seller selling 80 million GC-Roms. 

Heeeeyyyy!!!! <Snap>

LingLing said:
@Kwaad: I'd pay 15 $ for Gradius before I pay 8 $ for Stardust. When are you going to get it into your brain that gaming is not primarly about graphics for a lot of people.

Have you played Super Stardust HD? Are you telling me that people are buying that people are buying that for the graphics? The visuals are a nice plus, a cherry on the top.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network

Gradius: 1 direction, scrolling screen, 7 levels (Depends on version), multiple weapons, shields, no bombs, enemies on a pattern and following/firing at you, large boss fights.

Super Stardust HD: 360 degree control, psuedo 3world (Wraparound sphere), 3 weapons, 5 identical worlds with 5 phases(Minus Enemies, they change), shields seem to do nothing, bombs, enemies on patterns and following and firing at you, large boss fights. Arcade Leaderboard.

People are buying it because it's fun and it's a good game to play. I had fun, it was a good game to play. Does it bring anything new at all to the table? Not at all. Just a good, smooth chaotic game to play.

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

Fonzerelli said:

N64 was not a flop, it sold 32,930,000 consoles worldwide. Compare to 100,000,000 PS1's. While it did well in American, its success in Europe and Japan was mediocre.

GC and Xbox barely managed to cross 21,000,000 and 25,000,000 respectively.

N64 had 50+ million sellers that sold a total of 145 million carts among each other.

Even though the GC performed so badly, nitendo still earned a profit from it.

with over 40 million seller selling 80 million GC-Roms.

I don't think N64 was a flop, but that's what countless people have been telling me for years.

The virtual console games are overpriced. 300 for the NES games. 500 for SNES and Sega, and 700 for the N64 stuff would be more fair. I say this mainly because I already bought these games for full price years ago and feel kind of cheated having to pay for them again. That being said, I have 10 VC titles with the last one being Punch Out and I love them all. I probably spend as much time playing the VC titles as I do my Wii games. I really can't blame Nintendo and the rest for taking advantage of this desire to play old games. We demand it, and they supply it. Capitalism at its finest.

There were a lot of old Super Nintendo gems that never really got a lot of love. Personally, I enjoyed games like Breath of Fire 1 and 2, Brain Lord, Soul Blazer, and a lot of others. Since I am missing a cord for my SNES I can't really enjoy those games anymore... Virtual Console is a blessing. Screw PSN or XBLA, they don't have anything that memorable. Calling All Cars though sounds pretty fun. Jaffe, what on Earth were you thinking joining the Sony demon... Oh well.

Heh, pretty sure my roommate's Wii has probably 75% of all the VC games.

It's pretty crazy. He was the only one in the dorm of 300 to have a Wii for a long time so everyone played the thing. People kept chipping in a few bucks here and there for extra controllers and such, it kept growing to the point where our Wii was on nearly 24/7 for about 5 weeks. People we didn't even know would come in to our room drop 10 bucks and play 1 game of tennis. We soon had 4 Wiimotes, 4 chucks, and 4 classics. We then made a money jar, and a suggestion box for Wii or VC games to buy.
At the end of the semester We probably went through a good $500 or so bucks, on VC, only about $60 of it being our actual money. The Wii was full and soon so was the majority of a 512 SD card. Other people got Wiis and the visitors eventually lessened over time but our room was still the place to go if anyone ever wanted to play a VC game they didn't have : )